Films & TV Series in Nottingham?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think you will find you have got your films mixed, Sons and Lovers was a great film about DH and set ofcourse in Notts,you refer to Women in Love..

Smiley's people was based on several real spy activities but some could not be told at the time. The exchange of spies usually took place on Glienicke Bridge in Berlin. Due to the Tom Hanks film, its

I had the dubious honour of being in the audience twice for that show... In the early 90's I had a saturday job at Asda, I never bothered with it but quite a few of the staff volunteered for the Supe

If you include everything which was recorded by Central/Carlton during its time at Lenton Lane, there's a helluva lot of programmes which were recorded in Nottingham

Are you just thinking of outside location work where you can see recognisable streets and buildings,

Connie, Boon have been mentioned. There was Peak Practice - not actually located in Nottingham but produced from Lenton Lane. Auf Wiedersehn Pet ended up here, and The Bretts which no-one remembers

If you include studio-based work there were game-shows such as Blockbusters, Price is Right, Supermarket Sweep, Bullseye, Family Fortunes and a whole pile of kids programmes wnich were broadcast around 4-6pm before CITV was invented

I think "The Ragmans Daughter" was shot in the city.

Wasn't Shane Meadows recent series about growing up in the 80s filmed in St Annes , sorry I can't remember the name.

2 I recall but can't remember titles, think I've mentioned them before? one I recall had a scene in antique shop on Mansfield rd, the other was more recent crime drama/comedy even with Ewan McGregor on the run from other baddies, I recall those big 3 storey houses on Ilkeston rd near Canning Circus (the ones with former shops in basements) though that was meant to be glasgow! lots of other filming in Nottingham in it. RE Ragman's Daughter, also filmed in Bulwell opposite the church near the tram stop and at Henderson's Scrap Yard off Bulwell Bogs

A fairly recent film made around Nottingham was 'Control': http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421082/

Control is the story of Joy Division lead singer, Ian Curtis. I came across a filming session in Bestwood Colliery Village at the Miner's Welfare when they were depicting a live gig or recording session. Other scenes include the flats at Lenton.

Recall a series about a female Probation Officer and her colleagues which was made on location in the Radford Road, Hyson Green area. The Old Blue Lagoon Club was used for some scenes as was he Flats. Can recall seeing the film crews and vehicles but cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. Guess it was bout 1985?

...I came across a filming session in Bestwood Colliery Village at the Miner's Welfare...

Stu,

Travel back a mere 46 years to an ITV Wednesday Play, Stand up Nigel Barton - with Keith Barron and the irascible Jack Woolgar, also filmed at Bestwood Colliery.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059752/

I was an "unpaid" extra, pictured wandering out of the Park Road Post Office - armed with a wad of stamps...

Jack Woolgar spent every free moment from filming (of which there were many) propping up the Welfare bar!

Cheers

Robt P.

There is another local author who tends to base his stuff in and around Nottingham, William (Billy to his mates) Ivory. He wrote that series about dustbin men back in the 90s "Common as Muck" not sure if it was filmed round Nott'm though but it was based on his exploits as a binman round the Southwell area.

Two we've missed , "The Eustace Brothers" and "Paradise Heights" both starring the same cast of Neil Morrisey , Ralf Little and Charles Dale. There was some brilliant 'failed' editing in it, including Ralph Littles character running under the old piece of Trent Bridge, up the canal along side London Road then under the old Trent brige again to get to the back of the Council House !! The best part about it by far was that they were all Notts County fans in it !!!

Stu,

Travel back a mere 46 years to an ITV Wednesday Play, Stand up Nigel Barton - with Keith Barron and the irascible Jack Woolgar, also filmed at Bestwood Colliery.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059752/

I was an "unpaid" extra, pictured wandering out of the Park Road Post Office - armed with a wad of stamps...

Jack Woolgar spent every free moment from filming (of which there were many) propping up the Welfare bar!

Cheers

Robt P.

Recall you mentioning that Rob. Must have been an interesting time to be around the village? Who would have thought that the Welfare could be such a Mecca of cinemagraphic history! Those Wednesday Plays were very good weren't they.

My own trivial scrape with filming was after returning from a walk around the Mill Lakes. I walked up the road behind the Welfare with friends to see the large car park crammed full of filming and cast vehicles. I asked the security guard on the gate of the compound what was occurring to be told it was a story about 'some guy you've never heard of' (not true at all). Also in there were mobile canteen facilities for the cast and crew. A quite bizarre scene in what is now (but as we know was by no means always) a sleepy village scene.

So, I have to ask, if you didn't have the privilege of being bought a round by Jack Woolgar or the excellent Keith Barron, did you at least manage to snaffle the stamps! A first class piece of memorabilia!

...So, I have to ask, if you didn't have the privilege of being bought a round by Jack Woolgar or the excellent Keith Barron, did you at least manage to snaffle the stamps! A first class piece of memorabilia!

Sorry to disappoint Stu, but Jack wasn't really the sociable type. Rather a surly character (as were most of his acting roles) very much a lone drinker. Apparently his great acting mate was one Wilfred Lawson, another toper with even more of a reputation...Keith Barron was seen around less often; his portrayal of Nigel Barton was an early stepping-stone in a long and successful thespian career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote,_Vote,_Vote_for_Nigel_Barton

My small part was not as contrived as I may have suggested. Was merely in the Post Office collecting Colliery office stamps for Chief Clerk Bill Mayes (his parents ran the PO!) and it was arranged that I be filmed making the exit - all very 'off the cuff'!

At this time the village populace was dominated by three families - the Hamilton's, the Brand's and the Mayes's...

Some suggestions of three toes on feet and six fingers on various hands :)

Cheers

Robt P.

With Wollaton hall, being used as a location for the new Batman film, they have started to bring some of the props, I have just seen a large yellow American school bus arrive.

If any one is interested and can get there before this evening, there will probably be some nice things to photograph, as the park is shut to the public as of tomorrow.