• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Surely arf a mo is either m or o ?

I hate flying. I go deaf driving over the north Yorkshire moors, so you can imagine the effects of being in a jet aircraft! I've had some really unpleasant experiences. GP once told me it was all due

Yea! a liberty bodice with a dragon motif, very fetching in spoons  

While on a cruise around Aus and New Zealand  there was a trip to go and see "Glow Worms" one American gent went on the trip, as the sea was unkind to me, I stayed on board. When he came back from the trip I ask him what they were like? Wow!!! they Glowed, and Glowed and Glowed and Glowed All night long each time any one ask, they glowed and glowed. The following year we went back (not by boat)  but camper van,  the man who had the camp site told us that if we look at the woods over to the right when it was dark we could see glow worms. Well we did look and guess what they glowed and glowed and so on and so on.  Must admit if you have never seen them and get chance don't miss it.

On 7/21/2020 at 12:43 PM, denshaw said:

You can't hum if your holding your nose.

did you just try it?

Yes

• 4 weeks later...

Ooh, is it magic?    And if you subtract your age from 2020, you get the year of your birth (as long as you've already had your birthday this year).   

It MUST be magic!  or not .....

Now  here's something interesting for all you Maths geeks ...

If you are asked to add together all the numbers from 1 - 100, how long would it take you?  

If you know the formula, it will only take seconds!   The little boy who discovered how to do it so quickly was only 10 years old!

Margie,  is your answer to your riddle 5,000 ?

I thought as follows,

99+1

98+2

97+3

96+4

etc., down to

51+49 =

BK.  Not quite but close! Try

100 + 1

99 +2

98 + 3

etc

etc

50 + 51

this means you have 50 lots of 101 which makes 5051

The  actual formula is 1/2 (N + 1) x N

or I prefer 1/2 of N times (N + 1)

and all you have to do is substitute 100 for N.  It works for any number you want to add up to.

Example: to add all the numbers up to 200....

1/2 of 200 (200 +1) = 100 x 201 = 20100

Easy or what!   I love Maths!!

28 minutes ago, MargieH said:

this means you have 50 lots of 101 which makes 5051

???

Errr... close Margie, but not quite     ;)

BK.  That isn’t right.  It’s true that I made a simple mistake with one digit when I was typing.... it should be 5050.

I still love Maths - it’s just my hand co-ordination and my eyesight that are getting worse.... sad really 

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

I've just checked it out Margie and come up with 5,041. How does that sound Brew?

How does it sound? OK by me ... it's wrong but hey if you're happy who am I to argue...   smile2

Though Margie's fingers twitched she gave you the answer.

In math n can be any number. The original question is - add in sequence the numbers from 1 to 100

Let n = 100.

The formula is 1/2n x n+1 substitute numbers for n gives - 1/2 of 100 x 100+1 -  thus:

50 x 101 = 5050

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Though Margie's fingers twitched she gave you the answer.

In math n can be any number. The original question is - add in sequence the numbers from 1 to 100

Let n = 100.

The formula is 1/2n x n+1 substitute numbers for n gives - 1/2 of 100 x 100+1 -  thus:

50 x 101 = 5050

Where’s your brackets Brew?  
Remember BODMAS