The Albert Hall Institute

In the late 60's I attended the Methodist youth club at the Albert Hall Institute. This was at the back of the hall facing out on to Derby Road island. It was located in the basement. On the first floor was a coffee bar which was a real cheap place for snacks.

The caretaker was a little blonde chap, Ernie, who lived at Bilborough.

Anyone remember the place or even went there?

NTGM017373.jpg

NTGM005307.jpg

I used to go to the "Main Street Methodist Church" MAYC (Methodist Assosiation of Youth Clubs) on Carlton Hill , every Friday night from around 1972 until about 1982, we used to have "District Weekends" (Notts and D*rby) where we would all go to a certain church and have a 'fun' weekend of activities. We once broke a world record for the most handshakes in 5 minutes at one such weekend !!

Then there were the "Regional" Weekends (Northern) where a lot more of us gathered in some far flung corner of this God forsaken land, Newcastle springs to mind, and finally there was the "London Weekend" and yup you've guessed it , it was in London. Where we used to descend in our thousands. Highlights were The finals of the 5 a side football and Netball in the "Albert Hall" , we played one year holdind a semi pro side (Les Capelles, from Jersey) to a 0-0 draw before losing 1-0 on penalties . (Bet you can't guess who was in goal and let the only one in ?!!) 7000 people in there too !!

Anyway I digress, I only went to the Albert Hall institute once, I was seeing a girl who went there , I had met her on a "District Weekend" in Long Eaton (I think) in around 1979 . I can't remember that much about the place , I just seem to remember there being a proper 5 a side pitch in there, and nearly getting beat up for telling them that I had played in the final the year previous . (I didn't want to go back after that !!)

• Upvote 1

Us breaking that handshake world record

5890672234_d7438114f3_o.jpg

No idea who the bloke at the front catching flies is !!

5890672182_4d72ce4ca5_o.jpg

Ma and a couple of friendly natives

5890672106_ba32fa650a_o.jpg

• Upvote 1

Never bin religious but the methodists seemed to be pretty good people.

Went on one of those trips but just as far as Hucknall

I was a member of MAYC based at Centaurs youth club Hucknall. Think it was from around 1974 till 1976. Went to the London weekends a couple of times, such a great weekend for a 15 year old! (at the time). I dont remember there being much religion involved but i do remember going to the Royal Albert Hall and watching the footy. I remember my boyfriend at the time had a 'fling' with one of the Ilkeston girls and i was gutted!! Happy days.

It was a good dating agency (Marriages Arranged for Young Couples)

And your right there wasn't much pushing of religion , we just had epilogue at around 9.00pm which was a mini sermon, not neccessarily religious , just something to make you think, and then a prayer , it lasted all of 10 minutes, then it was back to table tennis etc

• 3 years later...