Sign of Four Magic Emporium, Derby Rd

33 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Cliffs pic on jonabs post shows the bottom end of Derby Rd.

Under the Anchor Butter poster...  Barton boast parking and bus trips...was there a depot there...long before Mount St?

Seems to have been a petrol station, with posters on the wall. Note also the ".....Little John" restaurant on the left, which has been mentioned in another thread somewhere.

yJgOv3Y.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Derby Road/Chapel Bar Nottingham C.1963 As a kid I was fascinated by this this shop, spent hours in there looking in the glass cases. Now this picture has some stuff in it I just dont rememb

No your not http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1819&page=2#entry485214

Following recent comments in another thread, I've now repaired most of the missing photos earlier in this thread, so it makes a bit more sense.   There is also a separate thread specifically

Went there every Saturday without fail after getting usual bag of rainbow chalei as we called it, not sure if that's spelt right though, sherbot most people may call it  Tube of paste and a straw to blow up your own bubbles. Fake poo. Fake blood was brilliant.. So many old wooden draws we never knew what to buy.. Fly in ice cube, fly on sugar, nail in finger, fake scars, could go on forever.. I'm 54 and would gladly go in now.. Can't beat a good laugh.. 

• Like 1

Do you remember the little books with saucy titles, and bound with something similar to baking foil. When it was left out on my desk, and the class creep opened it and got an electric shock, it was hilarious.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Maz1564 said:

Can't beat a good laugh.. 

Quote ot the year!!! thanks for the post Maz

Rog

10 hours ago, Maz1564 said:

rainbow chalei

I think you mean Sherbet Kali Maz. Although it is a propriety brand name we called all sherbet 'Kali' much like ballpoint pens were called Biros.

5 hours ago, Brew said:

I think you mean Sherbet Kali Maz. Although it is a propriety brand name we called all sherbet 'Kali' much like ballpoint pens were called Biros.

I remember sherbet as being like a white  fizzy powder that was in a sherbet dab/fountain or inside sherbet lemons.  Kali was bigger crystals and came in different colours which the shopkeeper put in a little paper cone.   We ate it by dipping our finger in then sucking it.   I remember the Kali stained your finger!

• Like 1

I always understood it to be the same stuff except ones a powder. I may be wrong, it's over half a century since i last saw any...   :wacko:

You're  right, Brew... I'm sure it is made of the same - or similar - ingredients.  The main difference I remember was that Kali had larger crystals and was available in bright colours.