• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

I hope I'm not too late to join this thread. The railway bridge was there in 1964 when my parents and I moved to Rise Park but I don't know if the trains were still running. The line that ran down the side of Hucknall Road near Rise Park had been closed and the bridge over Bestwood Park Drive taken down. I used to drive the Trent 84 route from Nottingham Huntingdon Street to Sutton in Ashfield.

The line at the bottom of the golf course remained open after the line alongside Hucknall Road was closed, this was closed after Mapperley tunnel closed. Trains could reach Colwick yards via Bulwell Common & the Vic.

• 1 month later...

Hucknall Road, at the side of Bulwell Forest Golf course, The Railway is the GC/GN connection between Bulwell Common & Bestwood Junction. The bus is a Midland General B8 to Mansfield. I did remember the B8 going through Bulwell Market, so what was this doing there? What the DMU is doing there is also a mistery. It must be a mid 60's photo. Moor Bridge is just beyond the railway bridge.

It is MGO B8 which would turn left along Bestwood Road to Papplewick and then to Hucknall. The DMU was used for roure learning

I remember going on a day trip from Bulwell Common to Colwyn Bay in 51 with my girl friend later to become my wife. We had a nice day out but on returning had a hell of a long wait at Bromsgrove near to Birmingham and we were in trouble with Lyn's mum for being about an hour late getting back, it was after her having to be in time. Seem to remember the station was on the far side of the common. What station would it have been, lefthand side of Hucknall Road going towards Moor bridge.

Dennis

There was another station by Bulwell Common. Just across Hucknall Road was Bulwelll Forest. A great Northern Station opened on 1/10/1887 and closed 23/9/1929.

I believe this was latterly Wrigley's Carriage and waggon works.

I remember going on a day trip from Bulwell Common to Colwyn Bay in 51 with my girl friend later to become my wife. We had a nice day out but on returning had a hell of a long wait at Bromsgrove near to Birmingham and we were in trouble with Lyn's mum for being about an hour late getting back, it was after her having to be in time. Seem to remember the station was on the far side of the common. What station would it have been, lefthand side of Hucknall Road going towards Moor bridge.

Dennis

I don't want to be a smart alec, but are you sure it was Bromsgrove? I know very well that excursion trains took weird and wonderful routes in them days, but Colwyn Bay to Bulwell Common via Bromsgrove defies imagination. I would have expected the probable route to have started from Llandudno, picking up returning day-trippers at stations (including Colwyn Bay) up to Rhyl, then running without scheduled stops via Crewe, Stoke, Uttoxeter and Egginton Junction to drop off at Derby Friargate, and stations to Basford North, then round the west to north curve to Bulwell Common and stations up the Great Central main line.

You could be right, after 60 years my memory is not good, I seem to remember another engine having to come and give us a push.

Dennis

You could be right, after 60 years my memory is not good, I seem to remember another engine having to come and give us a push.

Dennis

Thanks for your memories, Dennis. they are much appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...

If you are as sad as me, some of you might like to hear what one of these little 29 seater Bedfords sounded like. Try this for size :

That took me back! When I was very young, in the 1950s my dad used to drive buses like that when we lived in Lincolnshire (getting off topic for this Forum!). That clip almost sounded louder than the real thing used to - they had petrol engines, whereas most buses by the time those Bedford were being made (late 1940s) were diesel. When starting cold in the morning and backing out of the garage I remember the engine would make a sort of spitting cough noise, which I'm led to believe was due to water in the carburettor.

That gearbox whine was so distinctive!

I always thought it was Mackemsons, or Makemsons, either way, it had an M in it.

It was Makemson's in Bulwell. Their garage was on the corner of Highbury Road and Piccadilly. I forget when they ceased operations - but I think it was before 1980. Last time I was around that area was in 1997 and the building that was their garage was in use for something else.

Hi Cliff Ton, you really are an Ace at retrieving old photos and some of these certainly bring back memories:

as a child it was quite a treat during the fifties to sit upstairs on the number 22, Hanley Street and take a look down at the Alms Houses opposite. Behind a high, brick wall a long, front garden was beautifully maintained and there were ample trees to give a bit of shade to any of the occupants choosing to sit out on one of the garden seats. These Alms houses were later to become another example of Nottingham's valuable architecture knocked down, rather than considered and preserved for future generations.

Whilst travelling home on a packed bus the other evening, it was unfortunate that the bus had to bypass some prospective passengers at their bus stops. I got talking to a couple of ladies of a similar age about the old double deckers: we were trying to work out how many passengers these buses could take when packed; we reckoned about eighty - with the fifteen allowed standing downstairs.

Well, in the 1950s the fairly standard number of seats on a double decker was 56, with - officially! - 8 standing downstairs.

When the modern rear-engined, front entrance double deckers were first introduced in the early 1960s they had 77 seats.

One give-away is that there is no hole in the lower middle part of the 'radiator' for a starting handle! In fact, motor buses of that era would often run about with the starting handle inserted.

Having caught up with this thread here's a couple of photos from me to be going on with:

Nottingham237inSherwood1960s_zps0a2dd825

This is NCT AEC Regent V no. 237 on Mansfield Road, Sherwood.

WestBridgford5inNottm1960s_zpse91102a7.j

And here's a line-up of West Bridgford AECs on South Parade.

Sorry if the picture quality is not great. These were taken with my old Instamatic camera (probably around 1968).

• Upvote 2

MerthyrImp

I take it you took these photographs?

To protect the copyright of your picture there is a warning on our site any content, is our copyright.
By placing them on here they legally become part of our site and protected by that copyright notice.

This does not effect your own legal copyright of these images.

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8547

© Nottstalgia.com.
All Rights Reserved

Conditions of use: The Format concept and design of this site is protected by Copyright Law, no part of it may be redistributed in any form whatsoever without express permission of Nottstalgia.com. Copyright law also extends to the protection of right of ownership of any postings by our members. Nottstalgia members posts are subject to the conditions agreed by members at the time of sign up. Should any person have concerns over any postings or content of this site, they should make contact with an admin via the forum area. Anything found to be outside our terms of use will be removed. Nottstalgia.com accepts no responsibility for members post and will cooperate with any law enforcement or civil entity (within the constraints of British law).

Nottstalgia.com reserves the right to seek civil redress in the MINIMUM sum of £5,000 (UK Pounds) for any breach of our copyright.

Thanks for the picture of the Nottingham City Transport number 57 bus, Merthyr Imp. The image brings back a lot of memories as it was the service to my area, Redhill, as a kid, terminating at Redhill School. Brings back a lot of memories. Don't suppose you have an image of the Trent number 62/62 that also passed through our area on the way to Mansfield?

Many thanks again.

Trent783inNottingham1960s1_zpsbf537055.j

Here's a photo of Trent Leyland Titan PD2 no. 783 on a 63 that's evidently just arrived at Huntingdon Street. It's possibly going out of service as it hasn't gone into the platform for the return journey.

I think I've got a photo of a 62 taken at Sherwood, but I'll have to dig it out. I've got boxes of bus and railway photos and slides in the attic, but I've only got some of them scanned into the computer.

Any photos I put on this forum are all my own unless I say otherwise.

I did say under the previous two: 'taken with my old Instamatic camera'. Did anyone else have one of those? No messing about with threading in roll films, you just dropped in a cartridge. Drawbacks were a slow shutter speed and the square picture format. I can't remember if you could get black and white film for them, but I only used colour.

Thanks again MT, that's great. I can just about remember those models on that route and more particularly the buses that superseded them with the flat (?) front and the door at the front. Cheers, nice memories.

There used to be a ghost story surrounding one of those Trent 62 buses at my local bus stop:

Bus Catcher

Location: Nottingham - Outside Redhill Cemetery, Mansfield Road, Arnold
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: A slight retelling of the phantom hitchhiker myth, it is reported that a man waiting outside the cemetery caught a bus late one night. He walked past the conductor and climbed to the top deck. When the conductor followed him up, he was nowhere to be seen.

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/hotspots/nottingham.php?pageNum_paradata=1&totalRows_paradata=65

Yep, the 57 was the bus of my childhood too - caught on Redhill Road at the end of Lodge Farm Lane for a trip into the city!