• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

What was the bus that traveled from the city via Wilford Road and terminated at 'Halfpenny Bridge'?

What was its route from the city and the city stop to catch it. Was it Market Square?

I think it went to the Wells Road somewhere?

What was the bus that traveled from the city via Wilford Road and terminated at 'Halfpenny Bridge'?

What was its route from the city and the city stop to catch it. Was it Market Square?

40 / 47 ?

• Like 1

Yes, it was the 40. Went from St Anns to Wilford Toll Bridge.

trolley-3.jpg

wasent the building behind the 63 bus a cafealso one on opposit side of huntingdon st

The black building on the corner was Trent's booking office. Just to the right of that was a cafe - was it a branch of Capocci's? Can't remember. Went in it occasionally, but preferred the one at the top of the bus station.

Merthyr Imp,

Which was the cafe that had its windows painted half way up so that you could not see out if sitting down, except for the sky and those outside could not see in unless standing right outside?

Think the paint might have been yellow? and there was an entrance next door to the cafe that the bus crews used to go in - possibly for rest rooms, directions for the next trip etc?

I think that the 40/47 trackless went from Wells Rd down to King edward St, onto Paliament St then up George St onto Carlton st, down Victoria St and into the Square. I am a bit hazy from there but both went down to the Fountain and the 47 went on to terminate at the Embankment next to Town Arms, the 40 going down Wilford Road or Queens Drive (can't remember!) to Wilford Bridge.

Someone can no doubt refine the route to get it right!

Map in #19 says See inset for City centre?

Ah yes...... I missed a bit when I scanned the original full-size map. Here's the city centre inset which was slightly missed off.

bus-4.jpg

Using a combination of the above map, plus the one I linked to in post #313, you can see the whole route of the 40.

Merthyr Imp,

Which was the cafe that had its windows painted half way up so that you could not see out if sitting down, except for the sky and those outside could not see in unless standing right outside?

Think the paint might have been yellow? and there was an entrance next door to the cafe that the bus crews used to go in - possibly for rest rooms, directions for the next trip etc?

I'm afraid that doesn't mean anything to me. The only cafes I can remember (this is 1962 onwards) were 'Hughie's'(?) at the top of the bus station - where you could sit on stools and look out of the window, which was why we bus spotters favoured it - and Capocci's(?) the other side of Huntingdon Street. Actually, for all i know it could be that place you're referring to as I have only vague memories of it.

I don't know if there was a cafe - which might have been used by bus crews in the area in the bottom corner (where Gash's buses used to leave from), where there was a sort of waiting room and toilets (I think).

Thanks MI....It was the late 50s and the cafe was half way up Huntingdon Street, across the road from the bus station. Thanks for your reply.

The only cafes I can remember (this is 1962 onwards) were 'Hughie's'(?) at the top of the bus station - where you could sit on stools and look out of the window, which was why we bus spotters favoured it - and Capocci's(?) the other side of Huntingdon Street.

Wonder if that Capocci name had anything to do with the current Capocci restaurant on Upper Parliament Street?

I'm afraid the route map has a couple of bits of green line missing. One is the section of King Edward Street from Huntingdon Street to Lower Parliament Street, which was used by the 38/39 and 44 as well as the 40/47. The other is the George Street, Victoria Street section, where the streets are shown, but not the green line. I have seen a published photo as early as 1930 showing a 40 trolleybus turning from Lower Parliament Street into George Street (a sharp bend that had to be taken gently if you didn't want trolley poles waving about in mid-air!)

The route of the 40 began at Wells Road/Kildare Road, then via St Anns Well Road (the 47 began at Ransom Road), King Edward Street, Lower Parliament Street, George Street, Victoria Street, The Poultry, South Parade, Wheeler Gate, Albert Street, Lister Gate, Greyfriar Gate, Canal Street, Wilford Street, Wilford Road to Wilford Bridge. In the opposite direction, the route through the city centre was Long Row Central, Queen Street, Lower Parliament Street.

I'm afraid the route map has a couple of bits of green line missing. One is the section of King Edward Street from Huntingdon Street to Lower Parliament Street, which was used by the 38/39 and 44 as well as the 40/47. The other is the George Street, Victoria Street section, where the streets are shown, but not the green line. I have seen a published photo as early as 1930 showing a 40 trolleybus turning from Lower Parliament Street into George Street (a sharp bend that had to be taken gently if you didn't want trolley poles waving about in mid-air!)

The route of the 40 began at Wells Road/Kildare Road, then via St Anns Well Road (the 47 began at Ransom Road), King Edward Street, Lower Parliament Street, George Street, Victoria Street, The Poultry, South Parade, Wheeler Gate, Albert Street, Lister Gate, Greyfriar Gate, Canal Street, Wilford Street, Wilford Road to Wilford Bridge. In the opposite direction, the route through the city centre was Long Row Central, Queen Street, Lower Parliament Street.

Regarding the bend into George Street from Parliament Street, it was always said that it was the reason why the 40 could only be worked by the 4-wheel trolleybuses - the 6-wheelers couldn't make the turn due to their extra length.

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my earlier posting, here's a photo of a Trent Daimler Fleetline on route 62 on Mansfield Road, Sherwood in the late 1960s. Note the lamp post in the centre of the photo supporting the street light over the centre of the road - what we used to call a 'traction pole', left over from the tramway days. They were all the way along there at that time (I don't suppose they still are) used for street lights instead of trolley wires as originally.

Trent476inNottingham1960s_zpsf1e31979.jp

• Upvote 1