• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

They always seemed to be older AEC's on those routes Stephen. Perhaps the NCT didn't want to risk more modern traction to those areas !

Re #709 - you're right Fly2 - in my day it was the KTV301 series, manufactured in 1949, and I think they stayed on those routes until the early 1960s. Air-operated pre-selector gearboxes, and rather heavyweight bodywork from Charles Roberts of Wakefield. (Are you all asleep yet?.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!)

• Upvote 1

No, 301's yes I remember them . If I'm correct were there only about five of these.

I seem to remember having a little book with all the Reg No's in. Would it be one of the Ian Allen series of books ?

In the '70s white Leyland Leopards single deckers were used on the services 1, 7, 22. All "P" reg.

Incidently all three services now replaced with the service 79, bulwell bus station via aspley to the city.

• Like 1

Anyone remember a mechanic named George Wilshaw worked at the main depot in the 70's.

I believe he's passed away now, but lived on Stevenholme Cres, or nearby

No, 301's yes I remember them . If I'm correct were there only about five of these.

I seem to remember having a little book with all the Reg No's in. Would it be one of the Ian Allen series of books ?

No, FLY - there were 40 of them.

Here's the page from my own copy of Ian Allan's ABC British Bus Fleets vol. 5 - The East Midlands. First edition, published in 1960. Needless to say, I'd seen all of them - underlined in red. Numbers crossed through in black were those withdrawn from service.

I'd include a scan of the front cover of the booklet, but half of it's missing as I evidently cut a big chunk out of it many years ago.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpslz0zasho.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Anyone remember a mechanic named George Wilshaw worked at the main depot in the 70's.

I believe he's passed away now, but lived on Stevenholme Cres, or nearby

I knew a George Wilshaw when I worked at Trent Bridge Works -- we used to both race sidecars in the 70's .

Don't know if it's the same chap , but sorry to hear if he has passed away

• Like 1

I bet that it could be the same one Roger.

curiosity question about the leyland atlantean buses - upstairs at the front on the right hand side , there is a inspection glass where you could look down and see the driver - why did the buses have them - did the driver have a mirror where he could see upstairs?

#721. Enigma 1st.

They were installed so the driver could see if there were empty seats upstairs when routes first became one man operated.

I think the idea was by John Lowry the then chief engineer of NCT.

Incidently can anyone remember music on the buses, a continuous stream of music & adverts played on the top deck of the bus ? NCT got lots of complaints from passengers over that idea, so it did'nt last long.

The music equipment consisted of a eight track player which was hidden inside the void above the cab where the driver looked up in the periscope ! So easily disconnected !!

Now all you get to listen to is some recorded voice of a middle aged posh bint telling us that the next stop is bulwell bleedin bus station, & every stop on the way, as if we didn't know.

So much for progress.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Yes, there was a mirror above it in the corner of the top deck ceiling so the driver could see the top deck reflected in it when he looked up.

The old rear entrance, rear staircase buses had one at the top of the stairs so the conductor could look up the stairs and see the top deck reflected in it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Looking at Merthyr Imp's post #718 on that page of the book just makes me wonder, was KTV *** reserved for Nottingham City Transport vehicles. All of the ones on that page alone plus all 6-wheeled trollies 500-601. And although it is a 1949 registration not all were registered in 1949.

Well, they wouldn't all have been reserved for NCT as that would imply all but a thousand vehicles and it would take several years for NCT to take in that many new buses.

However, they did have KTV97 to 126, KTV270 to 341, KTV479 to 495 and KTV 500 to 601 which is around 220 vehicles which was a fair amount.

The trolleybuses were delivered new up to 1952, but the four single deckers delivered in 1951 were LTV 700 to 703, and the next new vehicles were OTV127 to 198 in 1953/54.

I think only the likes of London Transport are likely to have taken in the whole of a particular letter combination (I don't know whether they ever actually did or not).

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that NCT may have been the only users of the KTV series - although, as Merthyr Imp says, they were certainly not all taken. I think major operators were allowed to book blocks of numbers with their local licensing office, when they had placed orders for series of buses.