• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Catfan/Blackie, the 67s used to turn around at the junction of Green Lane and Langstrath Road. After dropping off the passengers at the outbound stop, the bus would cross over Green Lane to the wrong side of the road and then, under guidance from the conductor, reverse into Langstrath Road, before pulling out on to Green Lane, to wait time by the terminus clock. I went to Glapton Lane school and would attempt to watch this whenever possible. I clearly recall the noise of the binding brake drum linings on the Atlanteans and Fleetlines when they were nearing servicing, but I can't recall the AEC Renowns suffering from this malady.

Regarding NCT football teams, my dad, Clive Johnson played for NCT's Sunday team and I used to go along and watch him. Some of the names I remember are Chris Allen, goalkeeper, Keith Hickman, and Cliff Ward.

• Upvote 1

Hey Catfan ( or any one else who can help )Received your e-mail and wrote a lengthy reply but it went to nottstalgia ( Mick Twomey) I need to know how to get a personal reply to you via e-mail.I told you I was "new" not only to the site but also computers too.And it just goes to show I`m not too proud to ask for HELP (just a little thick ). Thanks Blackie.

• Upvote 1

We all use the private message system Blackie,no point in sending loads of messages to Mick as he is very busy etc..

Use the Envelope on top right,Catfan will reply..he's a pure gent!!

Any queries? Cliff ton or Fynger will oblige.

Hi Blackie. Re- your posting #826. No, as far as I know the 31 never terminated at Woodthorpe Drive. (I understand the old trams finished in the MIDDLE of Woodborough Road (!), just by Porchester Road up to early 1935 - one of the last of the old tram routes). The 9 used to terminate at Porchester Road (via Gordon Road), turning at Haywood Road, just before Woodborough Road, and this was later extended to the triangle that you mentioned at the top of Woodthorpe Drive. This link shows a 31 at Westdale Lane terminus - about 1948 I think - with one of the (then) brand new Daimlers, that were replaced around 1956 by the AEC Regent Vs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47537523@N07/4360020360/

Here's a view of one of the London Country Leyland Nationals that inaugurated the free city centre bus service.

It's of some slight interest in showing the Elite in the background, and I don't know if it can be made out, but the film showing is fairly typical of the Elite in its later years.

Photo must date from late 1972 or early 1973.

NCT2065120in20Nottingham201970s_zpsteqrb

I'm frequently in search of a sighting of one of these buggers.

Curiously spotted fully six times an hour for, no particular reason, throughout the day passing though Redhill from deepest Mansfield but a sparse once an hour when I want to go out for a pint at night.

Nice colour though.

17313684684_b3998a976c.jpg

• Upvote 1

43 was delivered in 1945 and had Duple bodywork, 37 also was new in 1945 and had Brush bodywork. They were before my time, but the later types of Daimlers were still running when I began to take an interest in such things - although I think they may have only ventured out in rush hours by then.

The first picture (which I have seen published elsewhere) is at Calverton Road/Surgeys Lane, Arnold (terminus at the time of the 20A). HAU43 was apparently withdrawn from service in 1956. The second (HAU37) looks as if it could be in West Bridgford, but I'm not sure. Any other takers? The third (KTV276) I assume is South Parade, and it's showing the old 21 destination of Alford Road before it was extended to Wellin Lane, Edwalton. Is the last one (KTV271) turning out of King Street into the Old Market Square - or have I got that completely wrong?

KTV271/6 were amongst the first new buses bought after the war, delivered in 1948. They were Daimlers with pre-selector gearboxes. It has become the stuff of legends that the spring-operated Daimler gearchange pedal was highly temperamental and could shoot out inflicting a painful blow to the driver's shin. (The AECs, that were very much in the majority with NCT, were also pre-selectors, but air-operated, and, it is said, much less vindictive !)

The second (HAU37) looks as if it could be in West Bridgford, but I'm not sure. Any other takers?

I know what you mean, but did they have "Works Specials" in Bridgford?

Is the last one (KTV271) turning out of King Street into the Old Market Square - or have I got that completely wrong?

The clock tower in the background doesn't fit King Street - but I can't work out where it is.

...and yet, (a) you can't see Canal Street going across that corner and the shape of the clock-tower and building doesn't quite match - even allowing for 60 years of rebuilding etc. and (b) what business would a 31 Mapperley have down there? But I'm baffled - there were only a few right hand turns on the 31 route in the city centre area. Going out, they were (1) Old Market Square into Market Street; (2) Market Street across Parliament Street into Theatre Square; (3) Sherwood Street into Shakespeare Street (ruled out by the presence of trolley wires) and (4) Mansfield Road into Woodborough Road. On the inward run from Mapperley, you only had Milton Street into Parliament Street and King Street into the Old Market Square. None really seems to fit - although I still tend to think the last is the "least worst"!

Top RH corner, is it the start of Miltons Head?

#852 I couldn't see a Mapperley bus being on Carrington Street either.

Thoughts I've had about the clock tower building are, the Express offices, the old Co-op, the Victoria Hotel and the building where King and Queen Street meet but none of them match. One clue might be in the width of the road.

Definatly Redmaynes,that little building at the rear gives it away for me,.......it stands almost on the Canal bridge opp. what is/was the Bentinct.........