3 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Yep..Den, when i worked on Howbeck Rd..used to get the bus outside H.Samuels..3 buses were pushing and shoving.

Got the bus to Killisick- NCT of course.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Camms tried that at about the same time, taking on the old MGO B1 run from Heanor to Nottingham.(Trent no. 231).  I was part time on Trent at the time doing an Ashfield Schools run. Trents answer was to stick another bus on, to run 2 minutes (or less - no timetable) in front of the Camms one. I did that run from Langley Mill garage into Nottm Victoria and then straight on to Kirkby to start the Ashfield Schools run. In the event the Camms one did get in front of me and stop at a stop, the solution was to pull in front of the Camms to pick my passengers and trap him in the stop. It soon finished Camms off. It was quite good fun actually.  All the regular passengers stayed faithful to Trent. Can't remember times now but Camms just put the one service on to depart Heanor at about 7.30 am. They didn't try it with any other times - not enough fares! The Camms one was timed to run a couple of minutes in front of a regular Trent service of course.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Ian, yes some little b******ds, destroyed this, Leyland Atlantean 523, and the last Fleetline ever built, South Notts 117, in an arson attack on 14th February 2007 at GCR (N) Ruddington. The police and many others know who the culprits are but have never had sufficient evidence to mount a prosecution. Good job I never got my hands on them.

The chrome grill & AEC badge & fog lights were never fitted when this bus was stationed at Bulwell. Obviously been restored.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

The West Indian Inspector who was on Trinity Square..was a gent Den..if i was dashing for the 19..he'd hold it for you.

Insp Tommy Barnes. absolute gent. One of the very best.Worked with him at Bulwell. sadly now left us

• Like 1

The Nottingham Standard body was designed and evolved to ensure maximum carrying capacity whilst not sacrificing passenger comfort. The double curvature BET windscreen helped to avoid internal reflections from obscuring the drivers view at night. Whereas some designs are nothing but "form over function" the Nottingham Standard was certainly "function over form", but I personally find it very attractive.

• Like 3

Yes it is there. Devil of a bus! When I used to see this in its days in service I thought it had been in a front ender and the NCT coachbuilders had bodged it up to get it back in service :ohmy:

262w0ew.jpg

• Like 3

Two of my "babies" from the 70's - 541 was the first to be converted to fully automatic - they are both over pits and I remember, it was a bit tight reversing them on when there was cars parked out front.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, denshaw said:

Apparentley it was at a trade show and no one wanted it so NCT got it on the cheap.

Not so. It was a further development of the Nottingham Standard design by John Lowrie and Chris Bradshaw. Certain elements such as bonding glazing, and the single piece entrance door were incorporated into the later Atlanteans numbered from 401 upwards. It was exhibited at the 1978 NEC Motor Show, but it was built to the orders of NCT.

11 hours ago, roger peatman said:

Two of my "babies" from the 70's - 541 was the first to be converted to fully automatic - they are both over pits and I remember, it was a bit tight reversing them on when there was cars parked out front.

Roger, I seem to remember that 542 and 543 were delivered as new with G2 automatic gearboxes, but 541 may well have been this first to have been converted from semi automatic. Interesting to note that 540, now preserved at Hucknall, has been re-converted back to semi-automatic and is a much better bus for it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Roger, I seem to remember that 542 and 543 were delivered as new with G2 automatic gearboxes, but 541 may well have been this first to have been converted from semi automatic. Interesting to note that 540, now preserved at Hucknall, has been re-converted back to semi-automatic and is a much better bus for it.

160 &161 @ Bulwell, Daimlers were converted to fully auto from semi auto, both were awful to drive & ride as a passenger, truly awful.

The best thing tnat happened to those two was getting rid of them when Clifton routes went one man . We got rid of the lot of em to Parliament Street Depot.

• Like 2