Once, when I was a conductor I was working on the 39 out of parliament St. Up derby rd. to canning circus and don't know what happened but instead of going onto Ilkeston road we went on alfreton rd !! Went as far as boden St. and removed poles and went on boden to Ronald St. And back on to Ilkeston rd.(on batteries !). Nobody said a word. Funny what you remember when prompted. B.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Been there, done it, etc. (Not trolley buses I might add).  It just amused me how the passengers just sat there like dummies making out they didn't notice!

Best thing about Trolley Buses was you could hop on and hop off when ever you pleased.

The best buses though were? 

You were running to catch the bus and the conductor  waited till you was almost there, then he/she would ring the bell and the bus was gone, you were left puffing and panting knowing you would be late for work, yet again.

Hi L.L., in reply to your question is in truth i dont know. They had a huge array of batteries underneath though. Where we came adrift, Boden st. is downhill so we virtually coasted down and on to Ronald st. We crossed over Ilkeston rd. and i put the poles back on and we carried on to Wollaton park terminus, behind the one we should have been following ! The batteries would be charged up during running. Beekay.

7 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Just out of curiosity BK how far could you run one of those trolley buses on batteries?  It would be a lot of weight to move far.

Can I add a belated comment on buses, 56, 60 and 13. As an ex driver on these services out of bilborough depot, I seem to recall that the 56 ran every twenty minutes, on the hour, twenty past and twenty to. The 60 was ten past, half past and ten to the hour. The 13 was not a works service but a regular. Why the powers that be chose that route to bilborough I've no idea, but then why do they choose any route. I once was on a 13 route and forgot to turn at western boulevard and carried on aspley lane !! Realised my error was able to turn round and correct my mistake. Whoops !

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 10:42 PM, IAN123. said:

Was it Beekay that piloted these 43's?1965-Nottm-Mkt-Sq-Trolleybus.jpgSlab Square '65.

No Ian, by 1965 I was driving up at Bilborough depot.

• Like 1

Slip of the halo possibly Lizzie.

Yes, those are doors directly facing the chip shop. Kicked many a football up against the shutters, that's before those swing doors were added, the scabby bit of partition wasn't there either. We used to muck about in there until we got chased out. Down behind those buses out the other end on the left were the scrap bays. We used to furtle out the wheel bearing races, crack them open and use the ball bearings for marbles.

• Like 2

69 .......Long Row to Rolleston Drive, Arnold.  The bus I used several times a week to get to work and down town to enjoy myself in the 60s and early 70s.  Every morning at 7.50am I sat on top deck putting my mascara on!  After I moved from Nottingham in 1975 I never got on a bus again for 30 years as we lived in villages and public transport was very limited, but it all changed 15 years ago on our return.  Nottingham really has a fantastic public transport system.  

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Nottingham really has a fantastic public transport system.  

So long as you don't refer to the trams !

56 minutes ago, Waddo said:

So long as you don't refer to the trams !

I’ve rarely ridden on the tram system but have to say that it’s the easiest and best way to get to QMC.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It certainly is Lizzie,, (despite my overcrowding experience the other day,,not their fault its so popular)  Read somewhere that Nottingham is one of only eight City's in Britain with a Tram system ?

QMC service is brilliant,,,step off the Tram you not only at the QMC ,,you are in it !!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I know its not a city. Tongue was firmly in my cheek when writing. Seaton has got one too. Bin on that as well.

• Like 1

Blackpool

Sheffield

Newcastle

London

Nottingham

Birmingham/Wolverhampton

Would guess the others in Scotland Glasgow/Edinburgh,,?

Nearly forgot  Manchester