Pianoman, if memory serves me correct, that white (plastic) tape around the handrails was to make sure they were non-slip. 

Making sure the passengers had a good grip. (Mind you, I'm thinking back 60 years).

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

13 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

Allways wanted to know why we had 4  wheeler trollys in St Ann's 40 route Wiford Bridge to top Wells road 47 from Wilford bridge to Ransom Road / Coppice road

If you recollect Mary, Wells Road was very narrow along the main shopping areas. With vehicles parking both sides of the road it was in some places, like a single lane road.

I can recall that it was very narrow B but i cant remember any shops. Yes the cars were parked both side. This is the Wells I'm taking about, St Ann's Well road had all the shops.The 47 used to turn around just before Wells road.

That's where I meant. I was just using the term Wells Road loosely, I was referring the stretch from Bath Street traffic island all the way up to the 40 terminus near Hungerhill allotment Gardens. I know the shopping area finished at the 47 terminus. Is that where Ransom road branches off? When I were courting a lass who lived off Westminster Street, I used to frequent the Garden Gate with her dad, whose name was/is Billy Burns. The girl is Margaret.(Wonder where she is now).

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Pianoman, if memory serves me correct, that white (plastic) tape around the handrails was to make sure they were non-slip. 

Making sure the passengers had a good grip. (Mind you, I'm thinking back 60 years).

You're thinking back 60 years - I'm thinking back errrm - well nearly 60 years  :Shock:

Me conclusion is that I can remember stuff from 60+ years ago. Not got used to this OAP thing yet!  I wouldn't dare touch that white pole for fear of getting a deadly electric shock. Some bright spark must have told me that they ran on 550 volts DC and what would happen to you if you got a shock off it.

I've hung on many of those poles, leaning outwards when changing the side destination blind. It were always worse when the driver was making a fast right hand turn. That's when centrifugal force fights against you hanging on. :Shock:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Beekay said:

That's where I meant. I was just using the term Wells Road loosely, I was referring the stretch from Bath Street traffic island all the way up to the 40 terminus near Hungerhill allotment Gardens. I know the shopping area finished at the 47 terminus. Is that where Ransom road branches off? When I were courting a lass who lived off Westminster Street, I used to frequent the Garden Gate with her dad, whose name was/is Billy Burns. The girl is Margaret.(Wonder where she is now).

Morming BK your in my neck of the woods now. The 47 did turn around at, now was it Ransom rd or Coppice rd? as they are both same road. There was coppice recreation park and there was Ransom hospital  and after all these years still not sure what it was called. Wessi st had a lot of terraces  do you know where abouts on the street she lived, allthough her name doe's not ring any bells,  Garden Gate pub sorry i was too young then to go into pubs. There was a pub at the bottom of Wessi  st called the Wessminister it was a shippo house and if my mind servers me correcty this was the last pub to be bulldozed.  

Morning M., as I remember, when on that run out of Carter Gate depot, we would alternate, with 40 to Wilford Bridge then return as a 47 and to the terminus. Back to Wilford and change to no.40. On all runs, we had to clock our time card at the stop opposite the Locarno. But for the life of me, I can  never remember which way it went when passing Central Market up to Parliament Street. I know we stopped outside Macfisheries on South parade. Then I believe we turn left down Wheeler gate and passed Woolworths down to Wilford Road. I think you reminded me about the route after the Palais.x

25 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Still a fairly decent model though. I assume it will run on 00 gauge track, (but without motor traction).   B.

Yes it's OO/1/76 gauge/scale, I'm looking at running a single OO line along the roadway I'm working on in the shed, got a few card buildings to assemble and the road to paint so in the early stages at the moment

Rog

• Like 1
12 hours ago, catfan said:

Parliament St then via George St then turning right down Cheap side to the city centre.

cont, just for you BK so you know where to go so you don't get lost. Hang-on a minute did'nt these buse's had poles on there roof ? any was after city centre, down to Wheeler Gate Hounds Gate passing St Peters gate and Albert St (corner of Marks & Spencer) down past Listr Gate (C n A Coats n' Ats) then round the Walter Fountain which turned into a social club then a car park with loos, pass big Wooleys on your right then down Wilford St on to Wilford Road then keep going till you get to Wilford Bridge DO NOT CARRY STRAIGHT ON as it's the Toll bridge and you will have to give the man/women half a penny, so round the island. Stop and clock in, then repeat almost the same route and return to the Wells Rd.  ps I did reply to your last message but computer is playin up., so I will see if it will send it, 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Plantfit  was it South Notts buses that had thoes very long seats? six people could sit on them together, they were upstairs, and they were only on one side of the bus.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

was it South Notts buses that had thoes very long seats

mary1947, The Midland General "blue" buses had them too. The AEC versions were called Lowbridge buses. It was related to the height and clearances under some of the railway bridges. The passageway down the drivers side of the upper deck was lower than the seats and it filled a teenage males heart with joy (and other things) when a buxom clippie leaned over you to get the fares from the passengers near the windows.

• Like 3

Many thanks OZ I can remember going on one of these buse's but could not place which one   x

14 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Top work Plantfit.

Those pictures reminded me that I have never been on a South Notts bus!

What was the rail below the bodywork between the wheels for? Was it some kind of side collision protection device? I remember it being on many of the older AEC Regents but never on any of the Bristols from the 60s and 70s

Probably to prevent anyone getting between the wheels, especially children or possibly protection if a cyclist or similar was to fall between the wheels accidentally

Rog

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Right ! Come on you Oficionados, details please B/W with added sepia....

Orange Luxury Coaches of Brixham London merged with the George Ewer Group in 1953

This link gives more detail Windrush Square and Orange Luxury Coaches, Rushcroft Road and Saltoun Road, Effra Road, Brixton. Historical Brixton - old and new photos of Brixton, Lambeth, London, SW9 and SW2 (urban75.org)

12 minutes ago, Beekay said:

(What does OB stand for?)

Type O was the standard Bedford lorry chassis the OB was the bus/coach chassis introduced just as WWII was starting.

The OWB was the stripped down wartime version of the vehicle. It replaced valuable aluminium with cast iron and the interior seats were timber slats with no upholstery. Production resumed after the war with very few changes. In total 12,693 were built. Some 180 are still in existence and can easily be identified by the classic transmission whine which was part of my youth travelling on the OB's.

• Like 2