• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Same here. I once went with my parents and then we caught another bus towards Mountsorrel and got off at the Woodhose Eaves junction. We walked all the way to Woodhouse Eaves which was a long walk for a young lad. Weve been that way many times when our children were younger and we used to go to Beacon Hill and climb up the rocks.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

got off at the Woodhose Eaves junction. We walked all the way to Woodhouse Eaves which was a long walk for a young lad.

In 1944, my mother walked the same route with a massive suitcase en route to the NAAFI station at Garats Hay.  Not a very propitious start but she made many good friends during her war service there. Lots of dances, time off and, unlike many of those in the ATS, no shortage of food, make up or nylons.

My husband was stationed at Garats Hay for a while, was nice to have him actually living full time at home. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to find out what buses Nottingham City Transport had in the 1930's. I was a bit surprised to find that, according to this list: https://members.tripod.com/~notts_derby/hnct.html it didn't have any motor buses until 1953, only trolleybuses. Is this information correct?

NCT had motorbuses from 1920 if this extremely comprehensive list is correct.
Trolley bus list after Motorbus list finishes in 1968, about 2/3 way down.

http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/wp-content/themes/Old-Bus-Photos/fleetlists/NCT Fleet Listl.html

link to main site for above list,

http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/

• Like 1

According to the History page :

Solid-tyred Thornycrofts Motorbuses were first introduced on 26th March between the Market Place and Carlton Road (Crown Hotel). Two buses were required to run the service, a third kept in reserve. Track laying for the new line to Colwick Road via Bath Street and Manvers Street began.

• Like 1

For anyone interested, New set of 1/76 scale South Notts buses waterslide transfers from Sunrise transfers out now, 

398056309-826011749533733-26797773638549

Rog

• Upvote 1

It’s really amazing that someone out there would bother to  produce the artwork to cater for what must be a minority interest. There must be some money in it. Good luck to them. My old friend Derrick Deakin, former NCT managing director, was responsible for the purchase of South Notts for City Transport.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It’s really amazing that someone out there would bother to  produce the artwork to cater for what must be a minority interest. There must be some money in it. Good luck to them. My old friend Derrick Deakin, former NCT managing director, was responsible for the purchase of South Notts for City Transport.

I was at a model bus enthusiast day at Codnor last year, the place was packed solid with people even queuing outside for upto half an hour to get into the hall, the Sunrise model and transfer stall was four deep in enthusiasts trying to get a look in to see what transfers was on offer, and this show was just model buses and coaches

DSCF2038.jpg

DSCF2049.jpg

anything to do with model vehicles, trains, boats, planes etc has a massive following and if the models can be customised by re-branding with colour and transfers there is plenty of money to be made

Rog

People’s hobbies never fail to fascinate me. We all have our own special interests. My wife tells me I don’t have hobbies, I have obsessions! Our house, garden and sheds are littered with the things I’ve dabbled in. I’m always looking for something new!

• Like 1

Never fancied train spotting or stamp collecting, or perhaps bird watching Phil?

I could provide you with an Anorak.

• Like 1

A man has to have many hobbies/interests just to keep sane these days, escapism is the name of the game

P1090153.jpg

Rog