• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

One form of tire cutting is called "Siping" - it is fairly common over here, but the pros and cons don't seem to be well defined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siping_(rubber)

Thanks Briyeo, remember these travelling along the A52 on a regular basis past our home in RoT...Nottingham to Newark back in the 50s. Same colours as well.

NAL-783_lr.jpgkal580-lr.jpg

• Like 1

Re last 2 posts, 1) you sure that's near Holmfirth? only no sign of compo, clegg, marina or the rest of the mob, 2) the photo of the single decker at Huntingdon Street reminds me of the first (and only time via bus) I visited my wife's home town in Scotland was just before Christmas 1966, left about 8pm? was raining, by time got to Ilkeston snowing, was on and off thus rest of way till we got to Lockerbie, remembered for later reasons, had been issued with blankets and warning we might not get through, however got to Glasgow god knows what time next day, never been so cold in my life, still dark, then got local bus to Dumbarton. cannot recall return trip, probably aided by large number of cans of local "heavy"

• Upvote 1

Well, for a bit more "anorak-sia", have a look at this link www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/wp-content/themes/Old-Bus-Photos/videos/videos_main_page.php and scroll down to "Daimler CVD6 (W Gash & Son)(so)" (so = sound only) - and hear what one sounded like setting out for Newark (Direct).

I listened to all that......................I'm gonna have to lay down in a dakened room until the feeling goes!!................another childhood memory, lot's of travelling on buses, perhaps not Gash's, but similar. I always wanted to drive buses, never did, it's amazing how a familar/forgotten sound can be so evocative, that's Nottstalgia at its best.................... :)

That is a lovely sound, I have had the chance to ride on a few veteran buses following the bus rallys around the Midlands and the North over the last dozen or so years, you never get tired of hearing the sounds.

What sound you get from this bus below is still interesting but not quite the same. I don't seem to have taken any interior shots which is a pity as buses are just as interesting on the inside. I do always try and remember to take a shot of rear, a lot of photographers concentrate on front and side shots and you are left wondering what the back end of a bus looks like.

8162061352_807d317151_c.jpg8162029395_bb6c4c2ece_c.jpg8162061524_10c0d31c4c_c.jpg8162029575_71949fb559_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I bet I rode that trolley a few times, catching a 39 at the bottom of Ilkeston Rd after working at Raleigh on Triumph Rd, and getting off at Canning Circus.

• Like 1

Yep, you've got it! If I was feeling flush, I'd pay to stay on the 39 to town and get the 22 at the terminus. Many a time the poles would fly off going round Canning Circus island.

• Upvote 1

I didn't know the poles had an airbase at canning circus? and didn't know you were old enough to recall them flying for us in ww2? (just my daft sense of humour after 3 pints in the manvers) also happened regularly at 37 terminus at haydn road, also no insult to the brave poles who did marvels at great cost in ww2 and thanks to katyjay for her memories

• Upvote 2

Ashley, looking on Google, the Manvers hasn't changed much over the years. Think it still has the same paint colour! although I seem to recollect large wooden gates at the side entrance to the rear car park.

It would be a short walk, drive or bike to your home from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been going through this thread, brought back more memories.

Does anyone remember the Series 1 short wheelbase Landrovers that city transport used as a mechanics vehicles. I think they had two of them.

I bought one when they disposed of it, got it from the auctions I think. Cannot remember the registration but think it was LTV something or other.

Sold it a little later to my neighbour across the road who put a handbuilt aluminium canopy on it (it was originally a soft top) and it was then resprayed dark blue.

Cannot remember what happened to it then though, but my neighbour had many happy family holidays down to the Norfolk Broads in it.

I didn't know the poles had an airbase at canning circus?

Ooh that did make me larf this morning :)

<offtopic> The older Poles who I have met who settled in the east midlands since the war, and their children I have found to be superb people. However some of the latest influx I have found to be very rude and arrogant. Some areas have been swamped by them, only yesterday on central news they reported on a Lincolnshire Town holding a demonstration against the amount of migrants that had settled in the town. Is that Racism? </offtopic>

I recall seeing one of those land rovers, and in trolley days didn't they also have motorbus with top deck or at least most of it removed to give a working platform for maintaining the overhead wires? Recalling which reminds me of (I think true) story of armed police using similar, probably the open top celebration tour bus as long after trolley days to raid a flat above newsagents on manvers st rented by some suspected IRA member, they (or got somebody to) drove bus with officers on top level with the upstairs windows, if true good thinking, probably wouldn't be allowed now as do know a pc who had to go on a course on how to climb a ladder!

no, it was best best as I recall more akin to the open top tour buses seen in london, think literally they had removed the roof, seats, windows and sides so far down so as to leave a safety edge all round, know I saw such, if not in Nottingham don't know where else?

I recall seeing one of those land rovers, and in trolley days didn't they also have motorbus with top deck or at least most of it removed to give a working platform for maintaining the overhead wires? Recalling which reminds me of (I think true) story of armed police using similar, probably the open top celebration tour bus as long after trolley days to raid a flat above newsagents on manvers st rented by some suspected IRA member, they (or got somebody to) drove bus with officers on top level with the upstairs windows, if true good thinking, probably wouldn't be allowed now as do know a pc who had to go on a course on how to climb a ladder!

IMMIC the guy arrested was alleged to have had a stash of IRA equipment buried where the GCR crossed Wilford Lane. 1990 at a guess.