Re B8,

I am sure my dad took me on a B8 to Mansfield when I was young, my Grandad & Grandma lived there. We went quite often on a Sunday morning it must have been late 1940's. We usually took a Trent no.61 but I remember the blue B8 we caught it at the same stop as the 61 on Highbury Road and it literally went round the houses. I cannot remember exactly where but it cetainly went to Linby and Blidworth. Perhaps the route was changed to Hucknall Road later.

Dad & I also went to Mansfield by train from Bulwell Market at the time the Tilbury 4-4-2T were running the service because I remember the numbers were close to the years. 41947 & 41949.

Brian.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

The B8 went thru Bestwood village so it would be turning right just under the bridge before Moorbridge, then down Moor Rd and turned left onto Papplewck lane Hucknall.

Didnt realise there was a train line over the road there - thought it just ran down the side of Hucknall Rd along what is now Rise Park?

There was a line the other side of the road by the Forest. It was the Great Northern Railway Lean Valley branch. When The Great Central Railway was built through Bulwell Common the conecting line pictured was built. the junction was to the right of the bridge. The GN line lost its passenger trains in the 1930's the line over the bridge never had a regular passenger service but there was the railway staff train called the dido that went that way to Annesley loco shed and yard. The Flying Scotsman loco once came that way on a special train in the 1960's.

rob237, RobtP.

Your profile gives your birthday as Sep 19xx, I was born Dec 19xx, we must have been in the same year at High Pavement. I am Brian Wakelin, I was in 1D, 2D, Sci 3B, Sci 4A, Sci 5A. 1953-1959.

Brian,

Didn't we establish recently (in another thread) that you did your first two years at Stanley Road, whereas I only did one year? Clearly, that would put you in the next higher year to me throughout...

I am Robert Pollard, who lived at Cinderhill, and went to Pavement from William Crane Juniors.

Cheers

Robt P.

Brian, my mother in law's maiden name was Wakelin, wonder if you are distantly related? Her parents were Florence and Leonard.

Afraid know nothing of buses, motor or trolley other than the local routes through Basford, their destinations etc and others I enquired about earlier, but as regards that bridge over Hucknall Rd/Lane? can't ever remember it yet must have been under it many times, wasn't this line the continuation of that one from "The Dive" of which there has been much discussion in another topic?

...wasn't this line the continuation of that one from "The Dive"...

Yes it was...

A few yards further along it joined the GN Leen Valley line at Bestwood Jct.

Cheers

Robt P.

...Dad & I also went to Mansfield by train from Bulwell Market at the time the Tilbury 4-4-2T were running the service because I remember the numbers were close to the years. 41947 & 41949...

Yes indeed...excellent memory!

And the short-lived 41940 & 41943 too...

Serves to remind me that Mansfield's pair of Stanier 2-6-2 tanks, 40168 & 40179, were also regulars on the turn.

Cheers

Robt P.

Brian, my mother in law's maiden name was Wakelin, wonder if you are distantly related? Her parents were Florence and Leonard.

Sorry I don't know them. Although it is not the most common name there are quite a lot about!

Yes indeed...excellent memory!

And the short-lived 41940 & 41943 too...

Serves to remind me that Mansfield's pair of Stanier 2-6-2 tanks, 40168 & 40179, were also regulars on the turn.

Cheers

Robt P.

The 2-6-2 tanks repalaced the 4-4-2 tanks, later we got the 2-6-4T but I am not sure if they were the Stanier or Fairburn type. I think the passenger trains were always worked by Mansfield shed.

• 1 month later...

Used to work at the NCB Bestwood Central Workshops in the 1960s/70s and caught the B8 to and from work. It ran from Nottingham to Mansfield and would next have next turned right as Susyshoes says. There were two railway lines in that area - one over the bridge per the photo and one alongside Hucknall Road - I remember the latter carried coal exclusively.

Not quite exclusively knocker, there was Iron ore trains going north presumably from the Leicestershire opencast mines to iron works in the north east, and of course the empties comming back. The wagons had "Iron Ore Tippler" on the sides.

• 4 weeks later...

Great pic of Huntingdon Street, Cliff.

Brought back a few memories. Thanks.

For me too. Wasn't there a cinema called the Cavendish just around the corner, bottom left, St.Ann's Well Road?

Thanks for the cinema name. I don't recall one of that name - did it change sometime before about 1962?

I now remember the Cavendish being where you describe; I went to see 'The Great St.Trinian's Train Robbery' there with a couple of school pals in about 1965. I also seem to remember there being a number of second-hand (Pawn?) shops along the road.

If I recall correctly, the numbers 40 and 47 trolley buses (Later, motor buses) went up the road to the Wells Road from somewhere in the Meadows area.

Getting a bit off topic but I once went to see live wrestling at the Cavendish, not sure if it was still open as a cinema? (but obviously not that night!) was about 1960/61?, remember star turn was "Farmer Johnny Allen" v some "german" who kept goose stepping and giving the hitler salute! how the fans loved him! lol