• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

That trolleybus looks just like mine apart from the number of wheels and destination board:

IMG_2789.JPG?gl=GB

Might have posted this before, I reckon 1926-1934?

Trolleybus No6 built by Railess Ltd of Rochester in 1926 with 52 seats. Photograph from 1933.

Ashley's photo of No.6.....I don't wish to appear racist but - Is that a Golliwog in the front downstairs seat?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Cliff Ton, you really are an Ace at retrieving old photos and some of these certainly bring back memories:

as a child it was quite a treat during the fifties to sit upstairs on the number 22, Hanley Street and take a look down at the Alms Houses opposite. Behind a high, brick wall a long, front garden was beautifully maintained and there were ample trees to give a bit of shade to any of the occupants choosing to sit out on one of the garden seats. These Alms houses were later to become another example of Nottingham's valuable architecture knocked down, rather than considered and preserved for future generations.

Whilst travelling home on a packed bus the other evening, it was unfortunate that the bus had to bypass some prospective passengers at their bus stops. I got talking to a couple of ladies of a similar age about the old double deckers: we were trying to work out how many passengers these buses could take when packed; we reckoned about eighty - with the fifteen allowed standing downstairs.

I reckon it is. The photographer seems to be standing at the bottom of Buckingham Road, and in both cases the bus is travelling on Thackerays Lane towards Mansfield Road

Looking at one of the other photos - I can't place the one described as Ilkeston Road. I assume the buildings in the background have all now disappeared

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Splendid Cliff ton! I can see the internal lights. I mostly travelled on the Regent fives but I remember the threes.

Morning all,

Anybody remember when Skills (single and double deckers) ran a public service from RoT to Nottingham back in the 50s. Not sure of their other routes (if any) but the RoT route extended along Shelford Road to the top of Shelford Hill.

Another service back then was the Gashes that ran along the A52 to Newark?

Have searched for old pics or stories of these services but have not found anything....anybody help me please?

No stories but when I was stationed for nine months at Stalag Luft IX (RAF Newton) I used to catch the Gash bus into town. It stopped at the entrance to the Officers' Married quarters.

No stories but when I was stationed for nine months at Stalag Luft IX (RAF Newton) I used to catch the Gash bus into town. It stopped at the entrance to the Officers' Married quarters.

Thanks Compo.

You may be interested in the site below. It has a lot on RAF Newton including the fact that they are considering turning it into an Eco Town!!!!

http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org

Then follow the threads 'East Midlands' airfields.........'Nottinghamshire'.......'RAF Newton'.