Hi Compo, Glad to know I'm not the only one with a fetish about the interior lights in buses. I lived on the 1/7/22 route until I was 5 and remember those shell reflectors in the "Roberts" Regent IIIs. I thought I would never find a picture of one (and I am sorry to see that the Park Royal at Ruddington has lost them - although they were always mounted upside down in them - as they were in the 6 wheel trolleybuses. But the other night I found an interior picture of the preserved four-wheeler trolleybus at Sandtoft, and there on the front bulkhead is what I had been looking for. http://www.flickr.com/photos/d33206hg/4420260108/

Now, has anybody got internal pictures of the Brush Daimler CVD6s with the chromium plated volcano shaped fittings - or the pre-war Metro-Cammell Regents with the oval shaped volcanos?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Trevor S, the Skills service ran to East Bridgford via Radcliffe and Shelford. It was operated jointly with Trent where it was route 73 and 73A (I'm not sure what the difference was). Skills had weird tickets with a list of fares down each side and the conductor chopped a section out of it opposite the fare paid, with a purpose-made guillotine machine that retained the cuttings. I presume some unfortunate nerd then had to count the bits in order to reconcile the money!

• Upvote 1

Many thanks for posting that picture Stephen. I can't see any bell pushes in the trolleybus...or is that dark circle on the ceiling one? I can't remember where they were sited on these buses. Sorry but I don't have any internal photos of any buses at all - if only I had taken some when I was a kid (how many times have we all said that).

Thanks Stephen, that picture of the trolley bus was great! Brought back the smells, the sounds and the memory of always wanting to sit in that front seat on the left. Wasn't there a silver metal cover of some sort, like the top of a a gear box , in the middle of the front wall down at floor level? Can even hear the whine as they started off.

The bell on the bus and back in the days of the double deckers - trolley buses too, I should imagine - only the bus conductor / conductress was allowed - unless in emergency - to push it.

Once on the school bus home I was chosen to 'dare to push the bell' whilst the bus conductress was upstairs collecting fares. The bus stopped, followed by an irate bus conductress storming down the stairs demanding to know the culprit. I was literally thrown off and forced to walk home; always feared the Power the Bus Bell could yield after that! :ohmy:

I'm sure I remember there being two or three ceiling mounted bell pushes on NCT buses. I can't remember what the trolley buses had because I didn't use them regularly. I'll wager you enjoyed the notoriety of being thrown off the bus though, eh?

I'm sure I remember there being two or three ceiling mounted bell pushes on NCT buses.

That's what I remember too.

Anyone ever done any 'strap-hanging'. I only ever remember that leather(?) strap being lashed around the open back of a number 57 to Redhill from Long Row the once as the bus was so crowded. It looked like a scene from the Keystone Cops. I wonder what Health and Safety would have to say about that in these times? Amazingly enough we all survived...

There was a notice on a lot of the buses with a picture of a bell push, which said something like this "Push Once only to stop the bus. The starting of the vehicle is restricted to the conductor."

Compo - yes I think all of the post war buses had 3 ceiling mounted bells (and yes, I think the dark circle in the ceiling is one). However do you remember the pre-war buses all had the bell pushes mounted over the right hand windows, and the conductor had to lean over the passengers to ring the bell. On some of them (the 1939 Metro Cammells I think) the bells were a big plunger about an inch and a half in diameter, that stuck out a couple of inches. These were thumped rather than pressed to sound the bell. You never heard anything ring - just a mechanical clatter!

Thanks for the pictures - I loved the ECW lights. Unfortunately many preserved vehicles now have to make do with the smaller light bulbs which ruins the effect. This is how an ECW bodied bus ought to look - it always reminded me of a row of tongues sticking out (OK, I know I'm a sad case!)

• 3 months later...

:) Hi Michael, absolutely LOVE the Book Cover you've put on @ #90. Few colours and a simple yet strong design.

Absolutely fascinating; doesn't it make you just want to step back in time and walk up those Council House steps?

In fact I could even believe that it's the number 31 bus parked, all ready to take me to my grandma's who lived at the top of Woodborough Road, Mapperley. :)

I don't know if any of you know this but when reading small text, as in #91, you can enlarge it by holding down 'Ctrl' and moving your 'scroll wheel' that's on top of your mouse. You then turn it the opposite way to return to normal size text.

An easier way is to hold down Ctrl and then use +or - you can count the number of time you press each key so it is easier to return to "normal" size script/picture.

In fact I could even believe that it's the number 31 bus parked, all ready to take me to my grandma's who lived at the top of Woodborough Road, Mapperley. :)

Just like this........(although this one is on the return journey)

bus-3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Is that picture when the terminus was at Westdale Lane? The 31 was extended farther along Mapperley Plains to Somersby Road about 1956, but I seem to remember they also built a wide layby so that the buses could turn there without having to reverse. Is there anyone out there who can say how they did the manoeuvre at Westdale Lane? Did they turn into Westdale Lane and then reverse round the corner onto Mapperley Plains, or did they turn in one of the side-roads off Westdale Lane? I can't remember ever going to the terminus (although I certainly did many times up to the age of 18 months!) My later childhood journeys on the 31 to see my auntie and uncle were only as far as Porchester Road.

Is that picture when the terminus was at Westdale Lane?

I think it is, but I'm not sure. I didn't know the area in those days so I can't speak from experience.

But......in the background you can see an old school building, and I guess it is the one which used to be at the corner of Hazel Grove/Plains Road. That would mean the buses are parked on Plains Road (facing Nottm) just before the junction at Westdale Lane, which I assume is where the terminus was.

(Incidentally, the school is no longer there - replace by the ubiquitous apartments)

Thanks for that MB, I hadn't seen that one before.

I've just looked back at your original post, and I missed that you said it was from around 1959, so it's obviously a later version than the one I posted. Yours shows Clifton Estate with its routes - which I remember - whereas on my map Clifton was still fields!

• 2 weeks later...

When I took the photos at the 3 ponds today I saw this, it is parked behind the 3 ponds I think a local coach company runs from there.

DSCF0275.jpg

Not the best of photos but it seems to have a reg plate on it, but it looks to be older than a d reg which would be 1966

• Upvote 1

Thanks Cliff

This page http://wakefieldfile...rd-vam-list.htm

Shows last known owner

Hearsons Coaches, Nottingham by 4/08 Replica B type body

Google...

http://www.touchnott...ist/bid/2759296

Map shows rough location as photograph

Images here http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=dfb%20704d

http://www.vintage-nottingham.co.uk/our-vintage-bus

Would appear that this vehicle is not a replica as stated on a few sites but, the real thing. Owned by Hearsons at Nuthall and is said to be one of only two left in the country.

Looks like a top restoration if that is the case and one would have thought a bit too valuable to be used in the manner it is i.e. left out in the open and hired out for various venues.