Maybe one of the Nottstalgia bus buffs would go out to Nuthall and determine exactly what it is???? I would love to go myself but it is a little bit too far.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Reading this thread brought so many memories of the old double deckers, when i lived on Ainsley est, the buses from the city were 56, 13, and i think 60, 13 came down Alfreton road while 56 & 60 came down Ilkeston road, And i remember as the bus went over the railway bridge on Western Boulevard to turn up Beechdale rd there would be people standing waiting on the back platform and as it slowed to turn into Beechdale they would jump of at the corner, just to save a few extra yards walking, can you imagine that with todays elf & safety !!

Also as far as i remember we caught these buses in the City on Maid Marion way, outside Martin Emprex old factory, In an earlier post the timetable said Granby street, where was that ?

Also as far as i remember we caught these buses in the City on Maid Marion way, outside Martin Emprex old factory, In an earlier post the timetable said Granby street, where was that ?

If you were outside the old Martin Emprex factory, you were on Granby Street!!. that's what that stretch was called before it was widened and expanded to become Maid Marian Way.

Take a look at this thread http://nottstalgia.c...=8474&hl=granby for a few photos.

And if you put "Granby" in the Search box, you'll find quite a few more mentions

i went on a couple of holidays with hearsons coaches a few years back one to woolacoomb deven and another to norfolk good value for the money we paid

The 56 turned at the junction of Wigman Road/Fairnley Road. 60 at Birchover Road/Westwick Road. The 13 was a bit of an oddity, and perhaps someone can shed light on how the route evolved. Certainly it was the odd man out in that it reached Beechdale Road via Alfreton Road, Aspley Lane and Western Boulevard, rather than Ilkeston Road, as per the 56 and 60. By 1971 it terminated at Glaisdale Drive/Burnside Road, running peak hours morning, lunchtime and teatime, plus half-hourly all day on Saturdays. I seem to remember in the early to mid-50s it finished at Wigman Road/Fremount Drive. However there is a picture on Flickr (about 1948) that shows a 13 setting off for "CITY" from in front of the shops at the Strelley Road/Beechdale Road roundabout - and apparently turning to head down Beechdale Road.

:) Memories of the early 60's, twilight nights and waiting at the bus stop on Granby Street for a number 56 or 60 to take me up home to Bilborough.

If it was a Monday, I'd have spent a busy day in the Archives at the huge and wonderful, imposing Central Library - filing precious plates.

If it was a Thursday, then it would have been Day Release for Librarianship Studies at the huge and wonderful, imposing Trent Polytechnic. We'd have lectures in the old Nottingham University where DH Lawrence - Nottingham's famous literary son - had taught and met Frieda von Richthofen - the love of his life.

Whilst waiting at the long queue formed at the bus stop, I recall girls running out through the huge, front yard gates of the industrious Martin Emprex building; they'd pass me by and tottering along on their high heels - clickety clack along the busy pavements - hurry to catch their respective buses home.

PS: I love the twilight, so atmospheric; one good thing about Winter evenings. :)

Is that a Regent IV - Anyone? I see that the rear lights have been replaced with modern light clusters :o((

Is that a Regent IV - Anyone? I see that the rear lights have been replaced with modern light clusters :o((

No, a Regent III - one of 72 supplied 1952/53 (OTV127-OTV198), bodies by Park Royal. Three, including OTV161, were sold to Grimsby-Cleethorpes Transport in 1967, and quite a few (about 20 I think) were also sold to Hull about the same time. They had 9.6 litre engines and pre-selector gearboxes, which gave them a distinctive sound, especially in the lower gears. Yes they did various updates over the years - some of the buses supplied around 1948/49 originally had illuminated trafficator arms, which were later replaced with flashing indicators.

• Upvote 1

When i first started work, i used to catch the bus at the bottom of Beechdale rd -56, 60 or 13, they were very regular as i remember about every 10 mins,

As a teenager it was cool to go upstairs, and as you reached the top the fog would hit you!! it's as if everyone had lit a fag,

Talk about passive smoking !!

Going off subject [that's never happened before!!!] just to let you know Happy Jack, that we have a town in northern Arizona called Happy Jack. Not a lot of people know that.

Going off subject [that's never happened before!!!] just to let you know Happy Jack, that we have a town in northern Arizona called Happy Jack. Not a lot of people know that.

We have this place in Norfolk

http://www.happisburgh.org/

Pronounced hazeborough

The Goose Fair buses used to follow the route now taken by the trams and the dropping off point was Mount Hooton Road/Bentinck Road. I think the town terminus moved about a bit - I seem to remember it being on the south side of the Old Market Square (i.e. opposite South Parade), which is also where the tour of Nottingham buses also started on selected bank holidays. For anybody who's interested I wrote a piece about the Goose Fair buses for the old bus photos website http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk (look under articles).