Going off track here a bit but anyone remember the bus conductors shouting the stops? many a time I used to catch the 39 from town to Carlton.it would go somethimg like- next stop storer street, then St. mathias, Crown, Cardale road, Standhill road, hooten road, Ivy Grove, Garden avenue, Chesterfield road, Terminus. then the wooden chock lowered on a chain, to wait for the next journey.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Don't forget, move dahn the bus, usually on the way home at night from work, and everyone squashed like sardines.

Said it tonight Katy,...........on the tram...........it got a laugh

1, ring for the bus to stop, 2 rings, ok for the driver to move off, 3 rings = full bus.

"Driver below please do not stamp feet"

"Spitting strictly prohibited"

"It is an offence to distract the drivers attention whilst the vehicle is in motion"

"Please place uncollected fares in this box"

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

At the age of 18yrs i became a conductor on NCT, i trained, 1 weeks training, on the service 55 Bilborough to Bulwell, on the 1st day just stood in the platform watching the conductor, George Palmer, lovely man, doing his thing, this was about 1963, on the 2nd day he let me collect fares upstairs, remember those silver ticket machines, you had to unhook the front from the back and let it rest forward whilst putting in a new roll of tickets, i had run out of 3d tickets so, stood at top of stairs, started to insert ticket roll into machine, fumbled the roll after inserting first ticket into machine and the rest of the roll rolled down the stairs bounced of the platform and rolled down Wigman Rd. we were opposite Chingford Rd at the time, i came running down the stairs, remember the pole in the middle of the platform, bashed my money bag against the pole and all my cash cascaded after the ticket roll down Wigman Rd. we ended up with me George, and Harry the driver plus some of the passengers running all over wigman rd collecting everything up, Legends are made of these happenings, We arrived in bulwell 25 minutes late, Nobody was very happy that day. Wonderful memories

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Great fun Terrence. I was a conductor but not in Nottingham although we used the same type of Ultimate machines. My goodness wasn't that old money flippin' heavy.

I always had an interest in buses and spent a lot of my younger childhood outside Bilborough depot collecting numbers which I think started with OTV. I was fortunate along with other forum member Firbeck to ride on the last Trolley bus in 1966. See the appropriate thread for all this.

Bilborough Depot, back of Glaisdale School, brilliant Snooker table, when i was on spotting duty always ended up ironing it, never got a game on it though, never good enough,

In Glasgow where I worked there were 12 bus depots and one subway train depot. Each had well equipped snooker rooms and serious inter-depot games along with GCT own team playing other industrial teams. We even had a visit from Hurricane Higgins at Partick where I worked.

i remember the first one man bus leaving bulwell depot, i worked as a conductor there after swapping with a bloke who wanted bilborough, then years later as a driver on Renowns, we still did a bit of conducting on them. loved it at bulwell, met an old friend there Kiery, probably long gone now,

thank you robbie, trying to find a lot more, the finest public transport vehicles ever produced, modern versions could, i feel wipe the floor with trams

• Upvote 1

wonder if anyone has a photo of the old nct single decker used as a mobile canteen, used to use it on the little bit of waste ground back of the odeon before Granby st. became Maid Marian thingy