• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Why have we not got these beautiful ladies instead of a stupid boring noisy tram

Yes and just think, with more modern technology how good a new trolley bus would be. That one in the picture would be over 60 years old and it would still do the job perfectly well. No tracklaying required either!

When I was a kid there was a single decker bus converted into a grocery store that toured the estate. The driver was also the sales person. The bus I think was red and I am sure it's livery was Buxton's and from Bulwell.

• Upvote 1

Robbie you are correct, Buxton's red bus came round our estate, seats out and shelving down the sides, inside. Driver was the man who served you.

Katyjay,

I remember the bus coming in 60's we were allowed to buy sweets from him. He wore a white medical type coat and was a very friendly man. Always made the time to chat with me mam.

When the estate shops were built he stopped coming.

Which estate were you on Robbie? He came round Bells Lane Estate even though we had the Broxtowe Lane/Bells Lane shops at hand. But then again, all the travelling salesmen did well, when you think how many came round the streets.

post 515 StephenFord, thank you so much for the phots the second one 776 was the one i remember using, i was 5ft 6 inch skinny as a rake, my driver irish mick was 6ft 4in and built like a brish ----house, laurel and hardy lookalikes, again many thanks

Terrence. I was lucky because in Glasgow, as soon as you turned 21 you had to learn to drive buses. I got a full five week course and test completely free of charge. And what buses. I hated the Leyland Atlanteans as they were too modern. The rear entrance Leylands and AECs were much more fun to drive, although those with crash boxes gave you a severe dose of Tourette's.

Can you remember when you were a conductor, in the hot sweaty weather, all the yellow liquid nicotine dripping off the upstairs ceiling onto everyone's heads. All the passengers just carried on reading their newspapers and smoking. No one would put up with that today.

morning 0755 service 62 after 10 mins on the road cough splutter cant see through the fog upstairs, eyes burning, need a fag meself, up the stairs, down the stairs, glad to get to the city terminus, run to housing estate, pick up school gits, emergency door continually being played with, kids screaming, running about, arrive at school, bloody heaven, run back to City light, must have been bloody stupid, should have got a job down pit

• Upvote 2

I know what you mean Terrence. Even in the 70s school kids were very challenging. My best passengers were the young ladies going clubbing, although as a young twenty-something, I did have a small following of girls who would go out of their way to catch my bus. I bet they're all grannies now.

I like the picture. Next stop the moon.