• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Not second-hand from Barton is it? Can't quite make out the registration...

Here's one of their double deckers - an AEC Bridgemaster originally with East Yorkshire. I don't know what it and the vehicle behind it were doing outside the Odeon, but what was showing there helps to date the photograph.

Camms203743RH20in20Nottimgham201977_zpsa

What happened to Camms?

I remember fetching a few scrap coach bodies from there in the early 80s. Pat Camm was a hoarder of old parts, everything of any use had been stripped out.

They had a shop on Ilkeston road at one time.

Now heres a question ( i dont know the answer ) about '78-'79 i took a snap of a corpo bus which had n rear window and an odd shaped rear - my dad said "oh thats a wigan flat back" anyone shed any light??

The Wigan "flatback" sounds like 75 RTO which was an old Fleetline that was rebodied (along with three others) with a modified version of the Nottingham standard design after a big fire at the Parliament St depot.

The rebuild was carried out by Northern Counties - a Wigan-based company.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Bamber and catfan 'tis university challenge you lot should be on!!

I think you'll find that Bamber was, every episode in fact until that young upstart JP took over.

camms1.jpg

''Sorry about the leaking roof and the smell of smoke, must get those chimney's unblocked, at least the letters didn't fall off this time when you tried to get in the door, must fix that some time. Now then sir, how about a little something for the weekend, step this way and we'll show you the little gems that we have awaiting your service out in the back.''

camms2.jpg

''Now then sir, how about our little red runabout over there, plenty of window ventilation for those hot, summer evening Mystery Tours, why do we call them that sir, well, it's a mystery how we ever get any of these coaches out of the garage''.

• Upvote 5

When I worked on NCT in the '70s a lot of drivers went to Camms for casual work when on holiday, this was before Nottingham City Council put the blocks on it.

Some of the stories told by our returning drivers were at the time quite funny, one I remember particuarly well was this gem.

A driver was tasked to drive a coach to London, on board were a load of teenage girls from the Nottm High School going to watch some tennis tournament or other, not sure if it was Wimbledon or not, but no matter.

Leaving London in the early evening traffic the clutch failed on the coach, no hydraulic fluid in the reservoir. A phone call to Pat Camm (remember no mobiles in those days) after the driver managed to find a phone box, he made contact.

P.Camm, whats the problem ?

Driver, no clutch.

P.Camm, what bus you got ?

Driver, ABC 123

P.Camm. Ah yes, thats happens quite regular. Go find a shop & purchase a 9/16 AF open ended spanner, open ended mind, not a ring spanner. Plus a can of hydraulic fluid, must be GIRLING NOT LOCKHEED ! & go "Bleed" the clutch.

Driver, what does that mean ?

After a lengthy conversation he was instructed how to do the task.

So somewhere in West London on a busy Wednesday evening was a corpo driver trying to "Bleed" a clutch on a clapped out coach with one of the school teachers pumping the clutch pedal.

An 8pm arrival time back at the school turned out to be a midnight arrival time instead ! Where then the driver was subjected to verbal abuse from the various parents of 50 schoolgirls !

However, working for Pat Camm did have it's advantages, recieve a days suspension on corpo & you could always recoup some of your losses by going to Cammies for a day !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

I would'nt be surprised if you drove me to Bulwell hundreds if times. Got on at Crofts shop after alighting Becket school bus at Gregory Boulevard. Always remember small lady conductor reddish cheeks and grey curly hair- always chatty!!

I live on a hill, a good few years ago the chap over the road drove for Camms collapsibles. One night he parked opposite, I/2 an hour later the brakes failed, off down the hill, got to the sharp bend at the bottom, straight on into someone's garden which was lower than street level and stopped just short of the front window. The occupant needed new underwear that night and Camm's needed a large crane in the morning.

• Upvote 1

in the early 70s I seem to recall that Rosetta Coaches had even cruddier charabancs than Camm's. But they were very cheap so our school tended to use them, unless you drew the short straw and found yourself bouncing around in the back of the 4 tonner.