• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

I can't work this one out Dave. I lived at Trent Bridge and can't remember the 41 going from there. We used that route to visit an aunt at Cinderhill sometimes, but had an idea we got the 41 from town. There are pictures of the 41 with Trent Bridge signboards but the system map for the time shows the terminus in town. I'm sure someone will know definitely though.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but this site shows the map and has some great pictures too.

http://www.trolleybus.net/normal.htm

According to that map I must have traveled on 41's many times as it is I see now it is the only one that ran from Cinder Hill. I do remember riding on them up Stockhill Lane/Percy Street/Alpine Street. I can't see why it would go to Trent Bridge - surely you would just catch it to Queen Street and then hop on another to Trent Bridge!

Just a thought tho'. That picture shows it on Beastmarket Hill so how did it get there from Cinder Hill to arrive at Queen Street? Surely it went Basford - Nottingham Road - Sherwood Rise - and out on to Mansfield Road, which is where I used to get off it! Surely it would have finished Mansfield Road - Milton Street - Parliament Street - Queen Street and not via Friar Lane.

So then it would have gone from Beastmarket Hill and down Wheeler Gate/Lister Gate off to TB?

Never went from Beastmarket Hill. In the picture the bus is travelling from Trent Bridge to Cinderhill.

36 from Percy Street to City, turning at King St / Queen Street. The 36 was a shortened version of the 41 route, only going from the city to Basford, not Cinderhill.

The 36 was only created after the flats at Basford Crossings were built in the '60s. The capacity wasn't needed to Cinderhill & Trent Bridge on every trip. Hence the service 36.

• Like 1

Good. I should have said 'gone along Beastmarket Hill'. Thinking about it more, the 41 is probably the only trolleybus route I have ever been on unless we ever caught one from St Anns Well Road into the City in the late 50's but my memory bank wasn't really working at that age! I was only really interested in screaming feeding and sleeping!

Regarding the 41, way back in the 1940s it did indeed start from Queen Street to Cinderhill. The one from Trent Bridge to Nottingham Road was a 48 (shown on the map that Cliff Ton linked to). Both the 48 and the 36 ran beyond Valley Road, apparently, and turned at the junction of Nottingham Road and Vernon Road (a pretty daunting place to swing a trolleybus round I would have thought, but of course there wasn't so much traffic in those days). I am pretty sure the 48 was history by the time I can remember (maybe about 1952). Not too sure, but I think there was a trolleybus stop for the 40 and possibly 41 as well, on Long Row, just by the bottom of Market Street, to the rear of the Arnold stops. In the other direction the 41 called at the Processional Way stop along with the much more frequent 43s.

The 36 certainly did turn round in the junction with Vernon Road, there was plenty of room and very little traffic.It was cut back to Valley road in the very late 1940's or more probably the early 1950's. I remember seeing them turn when I was small. When was the Island at the Vernon Road / Nottingham Road junction put in? The trollies couldn't turn if it wasn't there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...