• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Must be rush hour - a D9 with an F5 waiting to turn out of Bramcote Lane at the same time. During the daytime the buses past the Rodney were every 10 minutes - in the sequence D9, F5, E1. (OK Stephen - you've bored 'em all silly now - knock it off!)

• Upvote 2

The first one man service I believe was "Bagthorpe" IE Bestwood ETC.

The last one's were Clifton.

I've got an Evening Post book which says the first one man service was trialled in 1951, the No 32 Market Square to City Hospital. It was a single-decker and the driver had to get out at each stop to collect the fares.

The 32 (not the later one that went to Bilborough) ran from the Market Square up Park Row to the General Hospital (not the City, which was a 29 from Trinity Square). It was only a short run end to end with no intermediate stops - so the driver just collected the fares on each trip before starting.

I've got an Evening Post book which says the first one man service was trialled in 1951, the No 32 Market Square to City Hospital. It was a single-decker and the driver had to get out at each stop to collect the fares.

Only trialed though ! Doesn't really count, not proper one man operation.

• Like 1

Must be rush hour - a D9 with an F5 waiting to turn out of Bramcote Lane at the same time. During the daytime the buses past the Rodney were every 10 minutes - in the sequence D9, F5, E1. (OK Stephen - you've bored 'em all silly now - knock it off!)

It wasn't like that in the evening, if I wanted a pint in the Rodney it was quicker to walk from Park Crescent than wait for an E1, the D9 was almost mythical, I'm sure it only ran every hour, if you were lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

#644.

Ah yes Ian, the "Magic Roundabout" as we called it back then ! (77 & 88)

You went around the city that many times you got dizzy !

Easy work & nice buses to drive too !

Leyland Nationals.

• Like 1

Thanks lads,Robbie that is a memory right there!!- thank you. Living behind the Peacock Pub,I watched the Victoria being pulled down and the slow emergence of Vic Centre. My mates dad owned the Mansfield Arms and we rubbed shoulders in the bar with all those construction blokes.I remember the temporary wooden shop at the entrance shown in the picture. Boots disappeared as did Trumans, another Sisson & Parkers arrived on the corner of Shakespeare st.I think Halfords and the Army Recruitment centre were the last to be finished on that section. The double phone box was taken from Trinity Sq.and two were plonked near the bus stop.

• 1 month later...

When they started the mini buses about 1990 they had conductors on them.

If we are on about the ones started around 1985 (The 150 series). They had shopping 'assistants' on them to help the elderly. You still paid the driver. Scrapped with deregulation in 1986. I still have some leaflets somewhere as I used to use the 155 on a Saturday for the long ride into town.....