I used to get the 25a from Huntingdon Street when I was at Digby college, this went the opposite way by going via Carlton.  We did night school that finished at 7.15 and the bus came down Westdale Lane at 7.20 so it was one mad dash down the college drive to get to the stop in time. If you missed it the next one was at 7.40, not long to wait , but it meant that I missed the connection back in Huntingdon Street so had to wait until 8.15 for the next one. In the middle of winter waiting in the old bus stations was not the most enjoyable of pastimes. Much better when I got a car and came home over Mapperley top and got home in a third of the time. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

• 2 months later...

1949 registered that is.   Someone I know had a 1949 Rover 75 that was KAL 876. That car survives.

Edit. In fact just thought about it and someone else I know has a 1949 Austin 16 which is KAL 877.

• 3 months later...

On the coach on the way home today from Liverpool sat talking with an NCT colleague who I did not know but we got talking about buses & NCT in general, he an ex Sherwood driver of 20 years service. "Do you remember "Mighty Fine ?" he asked  Yes I certainly do I said, he is the dad of NS member Michael Booth ! Small world innit !

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone remember these two incidents involving Corporation buses? The following is either correct or nearly so; I'm relying on memory. I cannot remember which of the accidents was the fatal one.

A bus was travelling into town down Mansfield Road from Forest Road. Waiting at the junction with Huntingdon Street, to come out into Mansfield Road, was a crane lorry. It was a little too far forward and the overhanging jib was over part of the main road. The bus struck the jib, killing/injuring a passenger on the top deck.

About a year or so later exactly the same kind of accident happened at the same junction, killing/injuring a passenger on the bus. This passenger had taken part in the enquiry into the first accident.

Re #915..... I'd rather wait in the pouring rain that get on that one. Oh how I now detest and loath rainbows. 

• Upvote 2

Yes!  I have since been informed on 'wots wrong wi it.'  If I lived there you wouldn't catch me riding it either.  I shoulda known better.  :(

Nowt wrong with with the rainbow, Fly.  It's just been hijacked. ;)

• Upvote 3

#920  I remember an accident when a crane was coming up to the back of a bus and the crane driver forgot about the overhang of his jib and it went straight through the back upstairs window of the bus., killing and injuring people.  Prompting a campaign for crane lorries to have folding jibs rather having them stick out in front of the lorry cab. Can't remember where and when it was tho'

• Upvote 1

Then there was the one in the 70s. A bus travelling down Cavendish Road Carlton at night hit a Saladin armoured vehicle turning right into Cavendish Drive. The driver reckoned he didn't see the military police man despite him having a flashing red light on the end of his traffic wand. The Saladin had a dent in the front wing the bus damn near lost its front end, fortunately no injuries on either side. Very lucky really two seconds earlier and the bus would have hit head on and the 76mm cannon barrel would have gone through the drivers windscreen.

Not so much a bus as a Bandwagon,whole new meaning to the phrase "bums on seats"

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well the cops came out of Carlton nick when they heard the bang and completely exonerated the army driver, well they would wouldn't they, they were in our mess the next night boozing.

The redcap was pretty miffed and looking to press charges as he could have been caught between the two, though I don't know what happened.