22 hours ago, Chulla said:

Does anyone remember these two incidents involving Corporation buses? The following is either correct or nearly so; I'm relying on memory. I cannot remember which of the accidents was the fatal one.

A bus was travelling into town down Mansfield Road from Forest Road. Waiting at the junction with Huntingdon Street, to come out into Mansfield Road, was a crane lorry. It was a little too far forward and the overhanging jib was over part of the main road. The bus struck the jib, killing/injuring a passenger on the top deck.

About a year or so later exactly the same kind of accident happened at the same junction, killing/injuring a passenger on the bus. This passenger had taken part in the enquiry into the first accident.

I followed your query up with a friend of mine last night who used to be the MD of City Transport. He had heard of it but thought it was before his time pre 1968. He did recall the tragic story of the bus whose handbrake failed on King Street and came to rest near the left lion in the square killing two girls in the process.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

The annual “Summer Gathering” showcase of vintage cars, buses and commercial vehicles Ruddington today.

Wonder what happened to Ashley Mudgie49 twroberts27 Limey Ayupmeducks & Ayagorawiya?

http://northpointproductions.co.uk/ruddington/event/stewart-classic-vehicle/?instance_id=3419

• Like 1

Standing in front of the chara, third from the left is my grandma Stapleton, and sixth from the left my Gran Brealey, paternal and maternal  grans respectively. I reckon it's a days outing from The Union Inn on Union Rd, grandma Stapleton living on Gt Freeman St, gran Brealey living on Curzon St.

• Upvote 3

Apologies for mis-stating the pub, should have said The New Inn on Union Rd, and as mentioned before, seventh from the left is my great-grandma, Maria Holmes, living at the time on Comyn Street with my great aunt Annie Proctor.

# 939

Mudgie49 has had very serious health issues in the past year but he's recovering well. I spoke to him on the phone recently about his good pal dgbrit's passing.  I think Mudgie looks in occasionally but is only really interested in 'Nottstalgia' and historical local information, of which we have sadly been lacking just lately.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I know it's not Nottingham but I didn't know where to put this one,Did you ever have this on a destination board on your bus Mick?

P1050755.jpg

Rog

• Like 2
On 26/12/2005 at 1:28 AM, rob237 said:

Talbot Street/Hanley Street:

Having recently visited the Talbot Street area, for the first time in more than 40 years, I was reminded of the NCT buses (Services 1,7 and 22) which formerly terminated on the sloping Hanley Street.

Due to the steep incline there, it was usual practice to place a wooden block (shaped like a cheese wedge, kept in the drivers cab and attached to a chain) beneath the front offside wheel whilst stationary and loading.

Notice there is a 1950's picture, elsewhere on the Forums, of a No 1 standing at Hanley Street - but unusually devoid of it's block!

Wasn't this system in use throughout the City? ...... especially in the more hilly areas such as those Carlton routes, off Porchester Road and also some Sherwood terminii stops.

Anyone recall where else the blocks were regularly used?

Cheers

Robt P.

Might be abit late, But at that time i drove for NCT and used to drive on the 1/7/22 services and never used or saw the blocks and was many times on Hanley street.

On 11/09/2015 at 4:19 PM, catfan said:

#666. Mess.

Could have been operated by Parliament Street Depot at that time, some routes were one man operated then but not any from Bulwell Depot.

When I went on in '74 we did that service with a conductor, later becoming one man operated.

I can't remember a inspector Revel off hand but the name is vaguely fimiliar, it will most probably come back to me later !

I wonder if that bus was a service 38, a short version of the service 39 ? Some of those Daimlers were used on that route early '70s.

I wonder if any one remembers Inspectors George Potter, was another one but at 82 years old it seams to have gone, I think Less Wilson was one as well.

On 24/01/2015 at 11:18 AM, terence12 said:

Bilborough Depot, back of Glaisdale School, brilliant Snooker table, when i was on spotting duty always ended up ironing it, never got a game on it though, never good enough,

Now council offeses, Had many good years working for NCT Time keeper Harry Hill used to get me spotting most mornings.

• Like 1

I rode the 22 all the time. I remember the chock being used at Hanley Street. You might have been my driver Keith, I lived across the road and up a few doors from the terminus on Deepdene. Left there in 1968. My dad's friend Stan Meakin drove our route sometimes. Before Photobucket started messing everyone around, there was a photo on here of the 22 parked on Hanley street with a chock under the wheel, IIFC.

This is probably what katyjay was referring to. You can't actually see there is a chock at the wheels, but given the slope of the road it's likely . I also remember seeing them used here -  on whichever bus came from Radford. 

aipyLjn.jpg

• Like 1

I remember chocks under the front drivers wheel of trolley buses on that bridge outside the town hall as well BB,driver leaning on the front mudguard having a smoke,memories of me being dragged to the market on a Saturday by mother and grandmother from Albert street down the side of the Highbury picture house

Rog

• Like 1