A good imagination is all that is required, if I defect a bus because the brakes don't feel quite right,then no one will argue !  smile2

It's all a matter of opinion.

My favourite was in wet or looking like rain weather was to short out the terminals on the cab wiper motor with a key , instant fuse blown & no wiper. You can't drive with no wipers can you ?

I once had an inspector board my bus in town & he noticed that the fire extinguisher was missing, nice bus but he insisted I get a change, too easy to have an extinguisher sent out instead change the bus & on a Sunday at your own peril (PSD) changemen !

Having said all that I can honestly say that NCT were top on bus fitness. Report a defect & it's fixed before it goes back on the road again.

All craftmen engineers no bodgers. I can't say the same thing for some haulage companies I have worked for.......

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

5 hours ago, catfan said:

In my day Malc the license catorgory was "All types".

Class 1 was the same thing. as a matter of interest I was one of the last people in the country to do my PSV in a bus of that type to achieve a class 1 licence. In the April of 1991, (mine test was March) the law changed so that the requirement was that the bus should have to be capable of maintaining 50 MPH. Pushing it a bit with a PD2!  Class 1 could then be achieved, and still is,  with a single decker and automatic transmission.

Last PD2s were out of service in early 1976, But some continued to be used as trainers until 1979, when they were replaced by Leyland Atlantean PDR1/2s. The last AEC Regents Vs were withdrawn in the autumn of 1976. The last half cabs were the AEC Renowns which were withdrawn 40 years ago, almost to the day, in September 1977. Half cabs made a brief comeback with NCT, when following the fire at Parliament Street Depot in December 1977, two ex Midland General Bristol Lodekkas were hired from Trent.

Edinburgh gets new all electric buses this weekend in a £2.8 million revamp,they can run for upto 130 miles and it takes between 3 and 4 hours to fully charge them, come on England start spending some money on transport that people want not on such things as HS2, I look forward to riding on one of these new electric buses next time I'm in Edinburgh

Rog

ps:Stagecoach launched their first all electric buses in Inverness last year,surprised Compo has not mentioned them

Some of the "L" numbered buses are electric, you'll find a few garaged in the old Sherwood Bus Depot. Range is not brilliant in that they don't last a full shift before needing a recharge.

£ for £ are these buses any more economic than conventional buses !  I've traveled on a few of these lectric buses & I'll give em their do, they're certainly nippy. But cost wise I'me not so sure same as the tram, is it anymore economical than diesel power ? How much to power the tram system ?

• Like 1

What is the cost of generating electricity?  And what about the pollution created from the process of generating electricity that the politicians and green freaks conveniently forget about?

• Like 2

The cost of generating electricity is not simple to answer, each method of generation has different cost, but the cost must include the capital cost of the plant, the operating costs (manpower etc), and the cost of fuel.

The cheapest fuel costs must lie with wind and hydro, but only when the wind blows, not generation saves nothing.

Nuclear power also must generate full on as well.

The highest fuel cost must lie with fossil fuel.

The whole thing is very complex.

1 hour ago, BulwellBrian said:

The highest fuel cost must lie with fossil fuel.

Why is that then ? Are you quoting that because that's what "they" want you to believe, Lets have some proper facts & figures on the table what we can all understand, the lack of such figures say's to me "they" don't want you to know the true cost, why all the secrecy instead of Fossil fuel is the Bogey man of energy all the time.

Leaving millions of tons of coal undergrouns was nothing more than criminal.

What ever happened to North Sea Gas, all the hype in the '60s where we the great unwashed believed all the cheap gas would change our lives. Yes it did putting up with years of gas conversion & still paying top prices for gas afterwards.

Like FLY2 pointed out didn't we flog NSG off cheap to our european neighbours ? If I remember rightly the europeans got the gas cheaper than we did.

There are I believe many things the public don't know about energy costs in this country the TRUE cost not what "They" want us to believe.

Electric vehicle power is still in it's infancy. I don't see many "Tesla's" driving up & down Bulwell High Road. I'm sure the battery technology doed not exist...................Yet !

• Like 2

I well remember Harold Wilson, the then PM, telling us we'd have free gas for all ! I assumed that 'All' meant us. Not France, Belgium, Holland and Norway !

• Like 2