Oh dear, I've nearly choked on my tea and fig biscuits as I saw that queer looking bus on the 17 run this afternoon. God, it's horrible. 

Nearly as bad as those new lilac coloured ones I had the misfortune to see in Arnold this morning.

Bring back the green & cream !

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Not buses in Nottingham but if I may digress a bit.

When I were a skinny junior school kid wi' scabby knees and short trahsers, family spent many happy hols at Mablethorpe. We stayed at a b+b in Wellington Square. 

On High Street opposite Victoria rd is a covered indoor market. That used to be a coach garage which went through to Tennyson st. At 7am I would be dressed and sent out the house while my parents attended to my 2 younger brothers. Which was the time the coaches were driven out of the garage and parked on Tennyson st ready for the day's schedules. 

I saw a full front Dennis coach one year, chassis-less according to the plate in the cab.(how did that stay straight, I thought). There was always a few Lincolnshire Road car, Bristol chassis, half cab in green and a few other makes which elude me now. Pride of place for me was the one day a week we had a Sheffield United Tours Leyland Royal Tiger in bright red and cream with chrome trim. Twin double-curve windscreen, twin destination blind, and centre sliding door, SUT badge on the sides. Not a straight line on it anwhere. It was like a space ship to me at the side of the other mundane ones.

I've still got a soft spot for the mundane ones though.

Regards Nottm buses, I have a vague but persistent memory of the bus that went to City Hospital, 17?. I came back into town one evening in 61 or 62 on a bus, double deck, half cab, doors at front and the conductor said was on loan/trial. It looked like a Bristol tin front but may have been a new AEC Renown. I've not seen any in Nottm since, they all seemed to be Atlanteans about then.

P.S. I'm not a bus expert but I like to read about them, in fact anything self propelled with wheels or wings.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Pride of place for me was the one day a week we had a Sheffield United Tours Leyland Royal Tiger in bright red and cream with chrome trim. Twin double-curve windscreen, twin destination blind, and centre sliding door, SUT badge on the sides. Not a straight line on it anwhere. 

Best I can do for SUT is this AEC Reliance with early Plaxton Panorama bodywork. Seen in Sheffield in the late 1960s.

Sheffield_United_Tours_328_in_Sheffield_

That's the correct livery Merthyr Imp but not the coach. I can't work image posting yet. The image I'm after is

google:-

Leyland royal tiger 1953.

The first image is a cream and maroon one by Burlingham Seagull coach builder. But in Boulton's of Shropshire livery. The one I saw was a Burlingham Seagull in SUT livery.

Merthyr Imp, I can't find a Leyland Royal Tiger in SUT fleet list for the 50s so I must be mistaken. I got the coach name right but not the owner. But I saw one of the Burlingham Seagulls and it was at Mablethorpe but I don't know the operator. I'll console myself with that.

According to Old Bus Photos website SUT did consider a mk7 and mk5 Seagull in 1957/8 but they didn't take them into the fleet permanently.

It could have been (most likely) an SUT AEC Regal with Burlingham Seagull body from 1953.

I will now stop digging.

• 1 month later...

I was idly watching the Queensland election results on TV last night (sad isn't it) but my interest was raised when they mentioned the seat of Aspley, a Brisbane suburb. Further research found that the area was named after Aspley Hall in Nottingham (never heard of it?) But I did find a picture of a bus to Aspley (photo courtesy of the Queensland Museum Toowoomba)

Interestingly there is another seat call Mansfield (not named after Mansfield in the UK) and a suburb called Rainworth.

Mansfield in Victoria however is named after its Notts namesake

1024px-Kedron_omnibus.jpg

• Like 1

It always amazes me how many towns and cities in the UK have districts with the same names as some of ours.

Clifton, Beeston, Kirkby, Woodborough, to name but a few.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I know its not Nottingham but this is a 1/76 scale model of a DAF Optair Delta of Edinburgh Transport,I've travelled on this type of bus when I've been to Edinburgh, a very harsh ride and you feel every bump in the road no matter where you sit on the bus,Have we had these in Nottingham and if so were they such a harsh ride, this is a model of number 333 Princes street to South Gyle via Corstophine, reg number G785 PWL

P1060321.jpg

Rog