• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Delaine is still running, an amazing survivor. I remember seeing their buses in the 1960s in Peterborough. They always looked very smart in their blue and cream livery. Quite a contrast to the boring Tilling red of Eastern Counties.

• Like 1

In the early days when I were a lad, the buses to Clifton were 61, 61a, 66, 67 and 68. They could go either over Clifton Bridge or Trent Bridge, you had to read the small print, or the colour of the bus.

In later years (possibly the 80s), the Clifton Bridge buses became 67 and 68 while the Trent Bridge versions were 47 and 48.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Thanks, this would have been in the 80's..Siverdale was a nice estate then.

Ian, I can date the picture quite accurately. The Clifton services were numbered into separate series wef 14th June 1980. 41, 46,47,48 via Clifton Bridge, 61A, 67 & 68 via Trent Bridge. The  batch of lowheight Leyland Atlantean PDR1/3s, 395-400 (VAU395-400J), were withdrawn in February 1981. So the picture  was taken sometime within that period.All bar 397 were exported to Hong Kong. This batch was bought to operate the Clifton services that went via Trent Bridge and had to negotiate the former GCR bridge on Wilford Lane. After this was removed in 1974 these buses were used on either of the routings  to Clifton.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Ian, I can date the picture quite accurately. The Clifton services were numbered into separate series wef 14th June 1980. 41, 46,47,48 via Clifton Bridge, 61A, 67 & 68 via Trent Bridge. 

Well I was almost right !!   Just got the numbers the wrong way round. I was driving my own car by then so didn't use buses so much.

• Like 1

Anybody remember a MGO conductor called Roland who used to sing Gilbert & Sullivan on the bus? He used to lag himself with newspaper under his uniform in winter, and once got to Eastwood and changed the destination number he had been showing all the way from Nottingham, much to the consternation of his passengers!

The picture of the MGO National above is not at Langley Mill. I think Underwood had closed long before NBC had appeared Stand corrected if proved wrong) The red National at the side of it is a Trent one. I feel that the picture is most likely Alfreton depot.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Pianoman said:

The picture of the MGO National above is not at Langley Mill. I think Underwood had closed long before NBC had appeared Stand corrected if proved wrong) The red National at the side of it is a Trent one. I feel that the picture is most likely Alfreton depot.

I might be wrong, but I think that the photo of Midland General Leyland National 416 is a little misleading. This particular bus in now in preservation in this livery, and the red one alongside looks to be more like a preserved Midland Red example. Midland Red applied local identity branding (eg Chaserider for services around Cannock chase) on white vinyls above the windows. I cannot recall Trent ever doing this. Therefore, I believe that this picture was taken at a bus rally rather than outside Alfreton depot, but I cannot say where the rally would have been.

You may well be right. Late on Trent did paint their Nationals red with a broad cream stripe along the side of the roof above the windows but the stripe was painted to fit the panel ends. The one in the picture doesn't as they are cut of square at the ends. I don't remember ever having seen a national in MGO livery at all - but that doesn't mean there wasn't any.

• Like 1

The MG Leyland National photo is on this site https://showbus.com/gallery/wm/mgoc5.htm tagged as In t

The early days of the National Bus Company companies whose livery was blue based applied a blue and white scheme in corporate style. Hence Midland General's Leyland National 415 (XRB415L), seen at the Trent Centenary, is preserved in the scheme. It was not long though, with blue liveries in the minority, NBC HQ eliminated the blue option. With Midland General then under the wing of poppy red Trent, the blue gave way to red.

There is some Nottingham buses,Trent,Barton,Gash,Corporation at about 6 minutes

Rog

• Like 1

Even if you aren't bothered about buses, it's full of fascinating street scenes showing life in the 1950s.

And a mistake in the commentary in the Nottingham section....at 6:15 it's described as "non-stop action at Mansfield bus station" which is actually Mount Street.

• Like 1
On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:19 AM, plantfit said:

There is some Nottingham buses,Trent,Barton,Gash,Corporation at about 6 minutes

Some great shots there Plantfit.

At about 6 minutes the narrator talks about a Barton bus at Mansfield bus station?

I can never remember Barton running buses to Mansfield and at that time Mansfield did not have a central bus station and buses to various parts of the area had different termini. Buses to Sutton and Huthwaite stopped on Queens Street near the Co-oP and the Queens Head and buses to Newark, Bilsthorpe , Blidworth, Bingham, and the B8 MGO left from near the Midland Hotel at Mansfield railway station.

I did not recognise any or the street views as Mansfield either.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...