Brakes were absolutely shocking on this batch 501-522, why on earth NCT sent them to Sherwood Depot, to cope with the hills up and down Mansfield Road  I shall never know. They would have been more suited running the flatter routes to Clifton. It is rumoured that they were going to be put into Trent Bridge when it re-opened in 1973, but somebody very close to me, who had a brake related accident in 516 at the junction of Derby Road and Middleton Boulevard, put a stop to that.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Exactly DB. We don't do nearly enough to promote our great and the good ! englandflag

On 5/10/2018 at 8:44 PM, Deepdene Boy said:

I see that NCT have named one of the recent gas buses, (fleet number 426) Albert Ball VC. Well done NCT, Albert is a true hero that all Nottinghamians should be proud of.

NCT are a bit slow with this, the bus is 11 months old !!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, IAN123. said:

There were a few National stations in the mid...to late sixties,

Ransom Rd.and the largest one i recall was Bluecoat St.

For a while the one near The Savoy Cinema...but that changed every few years.Burmah and Chevron.

Strange..when i first looked at the first photo..i thought it was Nottm Rd.

Ian there was one in Clifton on Southchurch Drive, just down from the parade of shops, almost opposite the swimming pool. It became a JET station around 73/74

• Like 2

Bus will be about 1954/5 registered. Photo is later than that. It'll be winter at about 11.25!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

In the Picture above. Spare a thought for the linemen who occasionally worked at the top of that telephone distribution pole just beyond Peach Tree roof (I guess that's Forman st/Trinity Square corner)  and the other big telephone poles found in the city.

20 hours ago, IAN123. said:

3546634350_887d7869e1.jpgjust about everything squeezed into a photo i love.Midland General..nice Zephyr..park Drive Tipped were for softies! Thought the TK Bedford was Springfield Hosiery.

The Barton is lovely.

Malcolm knows the full title of that model..totally forgotton.

The NCT bus is of interest as it is one of the ex WBUDC AEC Regents, fleetnumber possibly 281

• Like 1
2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Malcolm..thanks for that...last time you gave details about it...great bus- did you ever have the luck to drive one?

No, never drove one. they were obsolete before I had a licence.

• Like 1

On my holidays in the 60's and 70's at Portsmouth and Sunny Southsea the only buses I remember seeing of Portsmouth City Council were Leyland PD2's. Even the two open top ones that ran the sea front service were Leylands. They were pre-war reg RV **** one of which is preserved.

• Like 1
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:19 AM, IAN123. said:

Bay 2 was for where?

In earlier days platform 2 was for Barton buses and after they moved some services to Mount Street Trent used to use it, almost exclusively except for the Mansfield District Traction Bus to Southwell.

Most of the buses I caught from Huntingdon Street used platform 6