• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

19 hours ago, catfan said:

Hucknall bus museum is situated in the old Trent bus garage!

The Trent bus garage is something that had entirely left my memory of Hucknall.

Am I right in thinking that it was/is about halfway down Portland Rd on the left going toward Boo - ul, near a garage and the entrance to the Miner's Welfare?

I have looked on Google Maps but things are so much changed in that area (no Bottom Pit, for one thing) that I am unable to work it out.

• Like 1

trogg, thanks for that. I used to walk that way every day when I was at Butler's Hill Junior school. It was all very different then. The garage had a swinging sign outside saying "Punctures 2d". I couldn't understand why anybody would pay tuppence to get a puncture - such is the odd mind of a 9-year-old.

Regarding the naming of the pits, we always said Top Pit and Bottom Pit. This No 1 Pit and No 2  Pit is completely new to me.

A Daimler with a pre-selector gearbox I think, not very nice to drive at all. Remember some of the Bulwell old timers talking about them if you didn't quite get the gear change right you could easily end up with a broken ankle !

• Like 2

Well just driven the road from Risley through to Stanton-by-Dale and noticed a roller shutter barn door half way up and parked in the barn was a nice blue and cream Midland General Bristol FLF with another bus parked at the side of it. Anyone know anything about them? Maybe they will be on Wollaton Park on Sunday.

3 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Well just driven the road from Risley through to Stanton-by-Dale and noticed a roller shutter barn door half way up and parked in the barn was a nice blue and cream Midland General Bristol FLF with another bus parked at the side of it. Anyone know anything about them? Maybe they will be on Wollaton Park on Sunday.

I have been to the farm, where the buses are, it is on the left hand side going from risley, I used to have the restoration of 1 of there buses on my favourites, but as I have not used it for a while I have lost it.

I think that they had a bus that was restored by an ex Ilkeston bus driver, and he chronicled his experiences.

1 hour ago, catfan said:

I'm not sure about that Ian, those low height buses were first registered new in Notts, perhaps DDB will know !

Ian, you are correct the Daimler at the top of this page is a CWA6 that originated with Bradford City Transport, NCT acquired four, I believe to start the Clifton Estate services, prior to the delivery of the low-bridge AEC Regent IIIs numbered 199-208 (SAU199-208).

• Like 1

Stephen is also red hot on railway timetables too. Pity he doesn't like the new format, well not many folks do actually, but I miss his input. 

A true gent indeed.

14 hours ago, trogg said:

Jonab, Top Pit as you know it is referred to a number 1 Pit which was on Watnall Road. Bottom Pit is number 2 Pit on Portland road.

Was no 1 pit just before the bypass going into Hucknall? there is now a house built on the site it looks like it could have come from deep American South, I remember it been built, at the time I thought that it was in the wrong place,  it seems to fit in very well now. As a lot of member's use to be miners (just a suggestion) but they should start a Topic as I expect they have some good stories to tell. Many years ago my granddad was a miner but he worked at Clifton Pit.

Mary, from what I remember of the size of Top Pit, you could have built a whole housing estate there, not just one house. Likewise with Bottom Pit, where I see from Google Maps Tesco Extra and Argos are now located, as well as several roads unknown to me e.g Ashgate Road which used to be much shorter and called Baths Lane, Griffiths Way, Voce Gardens, Robin Bailey Way and more plus a large area is given over to nature.

Hucknall Top pit The best way for me to describe the location is leave Hucknall on Watnall road , just before you get to the bypass on the left at the end of the old houses the pit land started there, a mini industrial estate is now there. It then continued up on that side across the bypass and the petrol station and ended on a footpath that is rarely used now, the other side of the footpath is a house that is set back from the road . I believe the house was at sometime belonged to the pit. The pit grounds stretched back towards Bulwell Hall Park ending again at a footpath which follows a stream  ,near the bypass from the stream is the spring where generations of kids have drunk water from on there way to Bulwell Hall Park.

The pit grounds beside all the normal structures had a plant where they fire proofed under pressure all the wood that was used down the local pits and was easily visible from watnall road.

After the pit stopped turning coal it was kept open as a ventilation shaft for another pit and also a training centre for trainees, many I believe are members on this forum who will be able to tell you much more about it.

4 hours ago, denshaw said:

That mini bus 864 was before my time, I did drive some second hand ones that were acquired about 1990,  about 5  25 seaters, we called them Tonkas.

Den, those would have been Renault S56s from Northampton Transport, hideous bloody things that the drivers were glad to see the back of.

• Upvote 1

When I did my PSV it was Class 1 and Class 1a.  A for automatic. As you say people with a 1a licence couldn't drive manuals.

• Like 1