• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

3 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

I'd like to hear from all our Drivers..their first bus and route.

Cheers. Ian.

Dad, started as a conductor on the trolleybuses from Bulwell depot, so that would have been on 42, 43, and 44.

When he passed as a driver, he was sent to Bilborough depot, which at that time had a mixture of Daimler Fleetlines, AEC Regent IIIs and AEC Regent Vs. I think at the time Bilborough operated the following routes, 13, 16, 16A, 30, 32, 53, 55, 56, 60, 62 & 74

• Like 2

42, 43, 44,71,75. All Bulwell routes with a conductor '74 AEC Renowns & Mk IV AEC  then one man with 44, 71 routes when in May '75.  Became one man routes Daimler Fleetlines, 160 - 184.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Ian, the 85 was introduced on 12th September 1976, when the 35, 43 & 75 were converted to OMO. I think that the 82 was a re-numbered 44, which happened possibly in March 1983.

As DDB says Ian the 85 replaced the 75 when they went OMO. The 82 was a long haul from Bulwell Hall (44) to Colwick Road terminus then extended to Marwood Road in Carlton. If ever there was such a boring route then this was it.

Passing through Netherfield was such a depressing place, dark, dingy & no colour like looking at a B & W photo. Hated the place. This route didn't last long due to very few passengers crossing the city & who could blame them !

The 55 became the 35 extending via Balloon Woods to the City, one of my favourite routes.

Some clown at NCT had brighr ideas about extending & joining bus routes, that one never was going to be successful. At the same time the 44 route became the 80 route.

One of the biggest cock ups was joining Bulwell with West Bridgeford. The 95 from Snapewood became the 21 in place of the 14 ? in WB.So leaving Bulwell was a 21 but returning from Bridgeford it was the 95. Same thing with the 85, linked to Adbolton Lane, down was the 23 & returning was the 85, talk about confusing the public !

Letting Bulwell drivers loose in WB was another thing WB drivers knew Mrs Smith always caught the 9.40 am bus to town & if she was a bit late would wait for her to leave home ! We never did that & the complaints soared. I point blank refused to call anyone sir or madam !

Another miserable failure by NCT

• Like 2

Welcome aboard madam,

Please refrain from smoking downstairs Sir, or get on duck and put that bleddy fag out, lol

• Like 2

Loved buses when they had conductors,,mostly gave you nice banter,  next stop Marble Arch, number bus please catfan?

• Like 1

Catfan, you'll be in trouble with carni,, Sue , Loppy and other members  on here for saying Netherfield was a depressing place!  Mind you, by the year mentioned, they'd probably have left to live elsewhere?

3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Loved buses when they had conductors,,mostly gave you nice banter,  next stop Marble Arch, number bus please catfan?

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Catfan, you'll be in trouble with carni,, Sue , Loppy and other members  on here for saying Netherfield was a depressing place!  Mind you, by the year mentioned, they'd probably have left to live elsewhere?

They will most probably agree with my sentiments Margie !

• Like 1
1 hour ago, catfan said:

Easy one that for a Bulwell lad, just one more then catfan, what bus terminated on Leybourne drive? 

Edit, just to make it a bit harder, which one of my girlfriends lived two doors from it?   Lol

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MargieH said:

I lived in Netherfield until I was 8 and I totally agree with Catfan, that Netherfield is like a black and white picture.   I suppose as a little girl I didn’t have any thoughts about the place but I remember my Mum saying (once we’d moved to Arnold) that she never felt well whilst living in Netherfield and she put it down to it being low lying. But yes, having driven through there many times over the years, it’s grim!! 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, denshaw said:

Number six and her name was Sue.

LOL Nearly Den.........it was S anyway..............

Netherfield ? loved it early 60s at Marsdens Victoria road,  relief manager for Stan Howard, lovely girl called Lola worked there,always turned me down for a date,,       used to have to catch a Red bus from town,, i was but a boy and the factory girls used to say things to me i'd never heard even in Bulwell,,from memory it was some factory on Bourne street,, and as for LOLA she did'nt really know what she missed ,, a ''Show girl''........choir please..........lol

Ben it was number 28 , I only caught it 5 days a week for more years than I like to recall, and Ben what was so special about the one living two doors from the terminus , what about all the rest living in that area weren't they special as well.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Netherfield ? loved it early 60s at Marsdens Victoria road,  relief manager for Stan Howard, lovely girl called Lola worked there,always turned me down for a date,,       used to have to catch a Red bus from town,, i was but a boy and the factory girls used to say things to me i'd never heard even in Bulwell,,from memory it was some factory on Bourne street,, and as for LOLA she did'nt really know what she missed ,, a ''Show girl''........choir please..........lol

Ben, I hope it wasn't the Lola that The Kinks sang about, or did you "drink champagne and dance all night, under electric candlelight..."

• Like 1

Ah Trogg S was so special,, i was 15 and really loved her,, still miss her she was special,,packed her up for another,, then tried to get back with her..........blew me right out......bless her.......married another lad of Andover road, lucky man,

• Like 1