I remember the compound  on the corner of Manvers and Pennyfoot street being erected. After the workmen left  local kids all flocked to it as the gates were up but no wire fencing on them and they made a great swing. I was about 4 year old at the time but couldn't get a swing as I couldn't reach the bar to hold on. Somehow or other my right thumb got squashed in the gate as it swung to. Split it to the first knuckle, luckily a neighbour was just getting off the bus took me home and got her Dad who was the Landlord of the Poplar Tree at that time to take me to the General Hospital in his car. (He later moved to the Ferry Boat in Wilford). Pleased to say thumb still works 70 od years later.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Just now, IAN123. said:

Like you said before then.."the Depot blokes kept the buses in tip top condition"...All credit due to them.

There was a bloke who undertook car painting on the side for drivers & his work was superb, he could paint a car by hand & was hard to the untrained eye to see any difference his work was so good.

• Like 1

** ATO must be 1956 registered. Picture taken 1973? not bad I don't suppose. I learnt to drive in a PD2/40 of 1967 vintage. That was front entry Metro-Cammell bodied. Ex Salford City Transport JRJ 268E.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Pianoman, although xxxATO was a 1956 issue, they were reserved for the Titans, which didn't enter service until 1958/9.

Aaah! A bit like the 6 wheel trollies then.  all KTV *** which in theory was 1949 reg but they were registered up to 1953.

• Like 1
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:45 AM, Deepdene Boy said:

Loved the transmission whine on the AEC Regents and Renowns

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:47 AM, IAN123. said:

Yep...i still can hear that in my head Deepdene...weird!

Here you go Ian and Deepdene. Sorry, sound only

http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/wp-content/themes/Old-Bus-Photos/videos/mp3s/Nottingham_AEC_Regent_V_229.mp3

AEC Regent V (Nottingham City Transport)

Recorded in 1970 Nottingham City Transport AEC Regent V (Park Royal) No. 229 (UTV 229) is heard starting out from Old Market Square on one of the Arnold group of routes; the driver stalls it at the top of King Street but restarts and the bus is heard climbing Mansfield Road, dropping into third near the top of the hill.
David Page

• Like 3

I was chatting to a 79 year old lady a few months ago on a coach trip & she told me her dad was a driver on there & her mum was his conductress !

A very common arrangement years ago on the buses. I bumped into a mate on Sunday in Bulwell Tesco who's parents were a driver conductress team on NCT who I knew well in my time there !

• Like 1

Oz, I'll have that as one of my Desert Island Discs.

Ian those three AEC Swifts NAL543-545F only lasted with West Bridgford for a matter of months before the September 1968 takeover by NCT. Indeed they were the last buses knew to WBUDC.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

F5 to Wollaton !  Very often missed the last one home. Still, there was always the last 63. Other than that, it was shanks's.

• Like 1

Used to catch a Barton bus to Coalville circa 1964,,from i think Mount street........rushing one morning across Maid Marian way......bumped into a lady.........Judi Dench.....who was'nt best pleased.........

Oh dear Ben ! She's never cracked a smile since !

• Like 1

I was 19 and could have fallen in love with her........but she was proper Narked''......missed out dint she...........lol

That might have made her chuckle then ! A touch of Bestwood charm.

Fenella Fielding enjoyed my Bestwood charm.......(proper name dropper aint i)     when i took her up the lift in Coop house.......she told me ''i think you are wonderful'' in that lovely sexy voice,,...............

• Like 1

Sorry to disappoint you Ben, but 'she' was a bloke in real life. LOL

• Like 2
2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Sorry to disappoint you Ben, but 'she' was a bloke in real life. LOL

Yer wot! 

According to wiki and other sources she was born  Fenella Marion Feldman and is now 90 years old

She is not related to Marty Feldman.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was only joking Ben. . Thank goodness she wasn't related to Marty !

Screaming ! I do regularly !

Fenella Fielding was a member of the Playhouse Rep. when I was in the Playhouse club (mentioned previously). She notably played Ranyevskaya in Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard - as well as other, more characteristically Fielding-style roles in other productions.

I remember that she couldn't see very well - which could have contributed a lot to her "smouldering" persona.

She most certainly isn't a bloke!

• Like 1

What struck me about her apart from that Voice was how tiny she was,,......always regretted not having a cup of coffee with her and talking a bit more,,she seemed quite approachable ,,

17212390822_10490095ff_b.jpgE319 BVO..fairly unspectacular Volvo..but the setting is sentimental to my time on Leybourne...most of all this has gone.Boarded the 17 here as a kid for trips to Bulwell Common.This must be December...Peppers have Decs up..as does the jewellers.

Anyone recall ouside that Salon..the Jason King picture up on the wall?..seemed forever...as if waiting for sideburns to come back!

• Like 3