23 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Thanks for that info Deepdene..i was wondering.

Had these two tagged for ages'low level' the photo is titled..BRR_242_C.jpgis that why they are long..past the rear axle?

Ian.

Ian, the two WBUDC AEC Renowns were lowheight, as nature intended, so they give the illusion of being longer past the rear axle. The NCT versions had a full height 14'6" body fitted onto these chassis which were designed for low height bodies. NCT were looking to obtain maximum headroom on both decks and acheived 6'1" on the lower deck and 5'10.5" on the upper deck. The extra height draws the eye away from the rear overhang, which was in fact the same on both the WBUDC and NCT examples. Also the emergency exit door is in the rear on the WBUDC examples allowing a full length window at the rear of the body, whereas NCT had the emergency exit in the rear offside corner. This again gives the impression to the eye that the NCT Renowns had a shorter rear overhang.

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

20 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Ian, the two WBUDC AEC Renowns were lowheight, as nature intended, so they give the illusion of being longer past the rear axle. The NCT versions had a full height 14'6" body fitted onto these chassis which were designed for low height bodies. NCT were looking to obtain maximum headroom on both decks and acheived 6'1" on the lower deck and 5'10.5" on the upper deck. The extra height draws the eye away from the rear overhang, which was in fact the same on both the WBUDC and NCT examples. Also the emergency exit door is in the rear on the WBUDC examples allowing a full length window at the rear of the body, whereas NCT had the emergency exit in the rear offside corner. This again gives the impression to the eye that the NCT Renowns had a shorter rear overhang.

Where they the one's with the electric gear change Deepdene ?

• Like 1
On 8/10/2018 at 9:16 PM, catfan said:

Thing is Deepdene, those buses had had an easy life on WBUDC, a few shifts on Bulwell would've loosened em up a bit !

Dad, says you could take your time on the Bridgford routes, must have been a culture shock when they linked them with the Bulwell routes in the late 70s.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Dad, says you could take your time on the Bridgford routes, must have been a culture shock when they linked them with the Bulwell routes in the late 70s.

It was.complaints about drivers went through the roof.

• Like 1

First new car my dad owned was DAU 71C. Green Morris Minor estate, the type with the wooden frame on the back. Went all round France in it. Part x'd for a Hillman. The Morris was bought by Mr Skilbeck, a teacher at Peveril.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Is this Huntingdon st. Don't know the year but I think NCT still had some like this in the 40s1937-bussen-aec-regent-i-dau462-craven-h

Those 2 buses are both in Provincial livery. They operated in the Gosport area. Definitely not Huntingdon Street.

• Like 2

Thanks notty ash. I wondered what Provincial double deckers were doing up north with a Nottm reg! Confused me. Maybe they bought those off NCT. I'm thinking Nottm had 1935 model AEC Regent 1s with Park Royal bodies as in my lower pic, a few remaining until the late 50s while the Regent llls took over.

On 8/12/2018 at 8:44 PM, Willow wilson said:

Thanks notty ash. I wondered what Provincial double deckers were doing up north with a Nottm reg! Confused me. Maybe they bought those off NCT. I'm thinking Nottm had 1935 model AEC Regent 1s with Park Royal bodies as in my lower pic, a few remaining until the late 50s while the Regent llls took over.

The photo is at Gosport Ferry

Here are the fleet details of Provincial's ex-Nottingham buses

62-64 DAU 462, CTO 387, ETV 778

62-64 were acquired from Nottingham City Transport who bought them new in 1936/37/38.

Fleet No.

Reg number

Chassis Type

Entered Service

Bodied by

Withdrawn

DAU 462

Regent I

Cravens

CTO 387

Regent I

Metro-Cammell

ETV 778

Regent I

Metro-Cammell

62 -64 were sold to MTB (dealer) at Tadley near Basingstoke in January 1963

They also had another Ex Nottingham AEC Regent fleet no65 (ETV 785)This was new to Nottingham City Transport (no 59) in 1938 and obtained secondhand after a serious fire at Provincial's bus garage.

Details from the Provincial Bus Enthusiasts website http://www.regent8.co.uk/

• Like 3

Just seen these on a Facebook group I am on. It is described as an AEC Regent. I looked at it and thought 'that's a bit low for a lorry' and then I thought 'AEC Regent is a bus'. And then I looked at the registration. Now tell me if I am wrong but I reckon someone has built a lorry on an ex. Nottingham City Transport AEC Regent chassis.

wssh1l.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Pianoman, the fillet round the radiator don't look reyt to me and Nottingham's Regent 1s had the same wire mesh radiator with horizontal wire supports silver painted too. So you have my (conditional) vote.

Edit, but there again the fillet may be genuine

OTV 178: AEC Regent III of D.W. Martin, Annan

OTV 178: AEC Regent III of D.W. Martin, Annan

OTV 178 was new in 1954 as a double-decker bus with Nottingham City Transport. An AEC Regent III 9613E originally fitted with Park Royal bodywork, upon withdrawal it was converted to a tar sprayer by Limmer & Trinidad Lake Asphalt. It later passed to Tarmac and initially entered preservation in this form. However a later owner converted it to a beavertail, in which form it appeared at the 2017 Kirkby Stephen & Brough Classic Commercial Rally.

And:

https://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p114576435/h65BB3750#h65bb3750

• Like 1