1 hour ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Roger, I seem to remember that 542 and 543 were delivered as new with G2 automatic gearboxes, but 541 may well have been this first to have been converted from semi automatic. Interesting to note that 540, now preserved at Hucknall, has been re-converted back to semi-automatic and is a much better bus for it.

The only reason I remember 541 being the first was because when it became operational , we had nothing but trouble with the throttle release actuator - I was constantly changing and adjusting it,  and I remember thinking , this system will never take off - guess I was wrong - I think the whole fleet was converted.

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

3 minutes ago, roger peatman said:

The only reason I remember 541 being the first was because when it became operational , we had nothing but trouble with the throttle release actuator - I was constantly changing and adjusting it,  and I remember thinking , this system will never take off - guess I was wrong - I think the whole fleet was converted.

All the Trent Bridge Atlanteans were, but no one else,s were. Having said that the TB Atlantean auto,s were quite good if I remenber correctly.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, catfan said:

All the Trent Bridge Atlanteans were, but no one else,s were. Having said that the TB Atlantean auto,s were quite good if I remenber correctly.

They were, by far, the best buses of the entire fleet at the time - whenever we lent a spare to the "big house" we had a hell of a job getting it back !!

• Like 3
8 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Is that due to terrain mick?

Edit: nice one Roger...must be great to have a trade.

Could be Ian I think TB drivers were much more considerate. All buses at Bulwell had a hard life. Up & down the green all day.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, roger peatman said:

They were, by far, the best buses of the entire fleet at the time - whenever we lent a spare to the "big house" we had a hell of a job getting it back !!

Dad, always reckoned they were the best buses he drove, but were much better before they were converted to automatics. He also enjoyed the few remaining AEC Regent IIs that were at Bilborough when he first passed out as a driver.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Robbie..our old mate on here..he did some work at Trent Bridge Depot in 1979.Alterations were made to the welding and blacksmith rooms..and roofs and doors altered.Wonder if Roger recalls this?

I was the night fitter from the mid 70's so never went back into the Works , apart from the Institute for the odd game of snooker.

• Like 2

I knew a chap that used to work permanent nights for NCT. He came from Thurgarton and used to drink in the Coach at Thurgarton or the Waggon at Bleasby prior to going on shift. I’m trying to remember his surname. His first name was Mick and he used to live near the Arrow pub at Arnold. Did you know him?

5 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I knew a chap that used to work permanent nights for NCT. He came from Thurgarton and used to drink in the Coach at Thurgarton or the Waggon at Bleasby prior to going on shift. I’m trying to remember his surname. His first name was Mick and he used to live near the Arrow pub at Arnold. Did you know him?

Do you know which depot he was at ?

I have made several 'likes' on this thread. Perhaps I should qualify those by saying that my interest in the prime subject of a 'buses' post is very low, it's the background views that hold the interest for me - evoking memories of a lost city. So, thanks everyone who posts here.

Having said that, the 43 and the 44 used to be my regular buses.

• Like 1

I left Nottingham  '78 - '79 time so must have been pre that date. I remember trolley buses with those numbers and also that modern style as depicted in that picture.

When I lived on Sherwood Rise, I most often used the (motor) buses from Slab Square to Clarendon College (ish). I can't remember the numbers of those - there were so many.

Travel in my Hucknall days was by Trent 84 from Huntingdon Street to Sutton in Ashfield or Trent 60 and 61 series from Mount Street to Hucknall (60's) and Mansfield/Kirkby (61's). There were various suffixes added to the 60 - 61 depending on their exact route and destination.

In my early days of travelling, I used the train from Hucknall LMS station to Nottingham Midland

• Like 1

Not being a Trent man I know some of their Hucknall bound buses went via Hyson Green, pick up only until Bulwell Hall & some via Hucknall Road by the golf course, Moore Bridge etc. Those could pick up & set down anywhere inside the city boundary on that route due to no NCT bus service there. This was all before deregulation in '86.

• Like 1

The 84 went over the Forest and past the City Hospital. as did the joint East Midland/Trent service (12A/63) -  both to Huntingdon Street.

The 60 and 61 went via Bulwell and Hyson Green. One odd service (60A, 61A, 61B?) went via Cinderhill and Bulwell. These all went from Mount Street

Just for completeness, the 62 went direct from Nottingham to Mansfield via Redhill and Ravenshead

• Like 1
11 hours ago, jonab said:

I left Nottingham  '78 - '79 time so must have been pre that date. I remember trolley buses with those numbers and also that modern style as depicted in that picture.

When I lived on Sherwood Rise, I most often used the (motor) buses from Slab Square to Clarendon College (ish). I can't remember the numbers of those - there were so many.

Jonab, when were you living in Sherwood Rise. My Dad, Clive Johnson, grew up and lived in Regent Street until 1963.

10 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Jonab, when were you living in Sherwood Rise. My Dad, Clive Johnson, grew up and lived in Regent Street until 1963.

I lived in Sherwood Rise (1 Second Avenue - corner of Second Avenue/Sherwood Rise) from about 1972 to when I left Nottingham at the end of 1978

2 hours ago, denshaw said:

I went to the Heritage centre the other week and spoke to a Scotsman who was a fitter at Bulwell. He mentioned you Mick and a few others.

Who was that den ? Can't remember a jock fitter ?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, denshaw said:

An old Sherwood bus 520 also had the roof chopped off, think it was used for maintenance work.

Cutting overhead tree branches was one of it's tasks !

Reminds me of when a night man at PSD took a new decker  down Meadow Lane.........................BANG bus converted to sight seeing bus in one go !

• Like 1