40 minutes ago, catfan said:

Who was that den ? Can't remember a jock fitter ?

Think he said he left in 79, grey haired fella. If you go to Heritage day on 23rd you might recognise him, I won't be there ,away for weekend.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

16 hours ago, catfan said:

A driver's "clock number" signified what depot he worked at & every rota had a unique rota number, engineering staff were all 1800s if I remember right. 800 fleet numbers allocated to engineering, Roger Peatman will be able to confirm this , he being ex-engineering staff.

NCT had this thing about numbers,  every form or document had a unique identifiable number, suppose a bit like the forces have.?

My clock-in number was 6017 when I started at TB Works - don't think it ever changed when I flitted from depot to depot.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, denshaw said:

The garage man that took the decker down Meadow Lane, was he giving his missus a lift home?

Yes he picked her up early every morning own personal chauffeur service .

On the fateful day in question he tried to impress her with a brand new bus !

• Like 1

Sadly I heard some bad news this morning that one of my nearby neighbours had suddenly passed away.

Ex Bulwell & Bilborough driver, Tony Haslam, only saw him a couple of weeks ago in Tesco Bulwell. Good bloke.

Only a few weeks ago another ex bus driver from Bulwell was Tony Williamson (Larry).

Seems the grim reaper is busy just lately.

Lots of fond memories.

• Like 1

I can't understand this incident in Coventry where a 77 year old bus driver drove over the pavement and killed 2 people. How is a 77 year old still fit to drive a bus? He was reported for his bad driving and told by management not to fall asleep while he was driving. He was working an AVERAGE of 75 hours a week, how? He is now 80 and not fit to stand trial due to dementia.

This is one of the problems of scrapping the retirement age,I'm not aying everyone should retire at 60 or 65 but in certain jobs reactive time should be taken into consideration

Rog

• Like 1

It's not so much as retirement age but the ability to do the job. His record shows that he was, to most normal observers, incompetent and had a number of crashes and warnings about his (in)ability to drive a bus. He should have been stopped many years prior to this unhappy occurrence.

He'd averaged over 70 working hours for three consecutive weeks. Definitely management should have clamped down on that. Who checked his taco if ever there was one. A ridiculous situation turned into a tragedy.

I'm fully in favour of compulsory retirement at retirement age. This would free up a lot of jobs for those poor EU immigrants who congregate on street corners every day drinking cans of Polish lager & trying to eke out a living on selling illegal imported tobacco products from Poland & their benefit top up. Besides we have enough of our very own dossers, scumbags & no hopers who would relish the opportunity to do a honest days living  for a change & paying their way in society instead of trekking to the job centre plus fortnight to sign on.

The world would be such a nicer place in one go.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, FLY2 said:

He'd averaged over 70 working hours for three consecutive weeks. Definitely management should have clamped down on that. Who checked his taco if ever there was one. A ridiculous situation turned into a tragedy.

The trouble is FLY  the drivers hours regulations are quite difficult to work out some times. With UK regulations & the EU working time directive to confuse things even more a driver could slip under the radar as far as driving hours are concerned, if his company are not pro active in enforcing regular tachograph checks. Then again not all EU countries sign up to the WTD anyway. The German Govt like to invent new EU rules but they themselves don't always sign up to them ! But daft old GB does every time. If he had averaged over 70 hours over 3 consecutive weeks then he has certainly not acted legally.

Under international law a commercial pilot HAS to retire at 65 regardless, I think this should be adopted for all commercial & public service drivers too.

• Like 2

It's his safety record that would be of most concern to me (as well as his age). He had been disciplined several times for crashing his vehicle and been reported by passengers as being unsafe and incompetent - missing stops, overshooting stops and more. What more could his employer have needed to stop this activity?

• Like 1

If he had been retired from the driving job and maybe given a job in another role within the company with less hours, this problem wouldn't have happened

It's very difficult to get rid of an employee these days thanks to many EU rules which in some cases is a good thing but surely his own concience should have told him it's time to call it a day

Rog

• Like 2

I reached early '60s & suffered a HA & couldn't do the treadmill test (compulsory) for my vocational licenses to be restored. My vocational licenses were thus revoked.

I surrendered my ordinary driving license when I realised my eyesight wasn't up to a safe standard for driving. This was before I was advised by my GP & hospital consultant btw. to give up driving.

The trouble is too many older drivers won't accept that they are not fit to drive anymore. It's certainly nothing to be ashamed about.

I like to think of the financial benefits of not owning a car anymore which can be quite considerable even with a modest car. plus the ongoing upkeep as well. Living in Bulwell with excellent public transport connections I really manage quite easily to get about on a good day. My 2 kids live in Nottm & both have cars at my disposal anytime I need a ride somewhere if they are not at work. I don't usually ask my daughter for a lift cos she takes after her mum for driving !  smile2

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

SO!! Is Driving a young persons game??

( only asking!)

I don't think so Ian, more of eyesight & general medical conditions that are more at risk.

Like vocational license holders having a five yearly medical exam after 45 years then yearly at 65 years. I think the same rules should apply to all drivers, but is the infrastructure in place to handle such a task ? I don't think it is at present.

Another of my concerns is the fact that teenage drivers expect a driving license by right. The driving test in it's present form is too easy. Novice drivers are taught to pass the test, not taught to drive. Big difference, watch any supermarket car park & look at the performance some (mostly) women have trying to park a car, absolutely embarrassing to watch at times.

• Like 2

Bus deregulation occured in October '86 & was the beginning of the free for all on the buses. Fly by night operators buying clapped out buses & running on a shoe string budget hoping to make a quick killing soon trealised differently !

That bus pictured was 17 years old by then & had been around the clock a few times.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I used to catch the 68 from the old Broad Marsh after another session at the Peoples college, in them days there were the NCT 68,South Notts to Gotham or East Leake or the WBUDC that was numbered the same as NCT,68, NCT always went down Queens Drive and over Clifton bridge while South Notts and WBUDC went down Wilford lane I think the reason was the low bridge on Wilford lane between the Chateau and Wilford village, if I missed any of those it would be the 67 which I think terminated near the Peacock pub,what we called "Big shops"

Rog

Edit, forgot to add some of the WBUDC and South Notts buses ran from Huntingdon street as well as Broad marsh, I used to catch them near the bus depot on Parliament street when going home from the garage at the bottom of Sneinton road when I wasn't goint to work on me bike

• Like 1