I derided the tram system initially, but having had to use it several times over the last couple of years between Basford and Hightields / Beeston, I've found it so easy. No changing busses, no traffic congestion along the Ring Road, and no dodging drunks and dopeheads through Bilborough and its environs. Marvellous!

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

5 hours ago, LizzieM said:

I’ve rarely ridden on the tram system but have to say that it’s the easiest and best way to get to QMC.

Personally, I would have thought that the easiest and best way would be by ambulance, right to the door. Lol

4 hours ago, denshaw said:

Is there a tram in Croydon?

Yes Den,,when i said London that was Croydon,

In a similar vein, there are four Nottingham trolley buses at the Sandtoft Trolley bus museum, well worth a visit on a running day for public transport fans

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Waddo said:

Personally, I would have thought that the easiest and best way would be by ambulance, right to the door. Lol

Not necessarily, it could still be quicker by tram!   Fortunately I’ve never been in an ambulance but understand you can sometimes wait a considerable time for an ambulance to turn up. 

• Upvote 1

The ambulance trip might be your last journey. Sod that.

• Upvote 1

I used to drive that bus for John Clarke. He sold it after he retired. Don't know if anyone knows the story but that is the bus that the engine fell out of while he was under it. The engine on those Bedfords is mounted in the middle of the floor and is fitted from underneath. Put the engine in the pit, push the bus over the pit and lift the engine in from underneath with a crane inside the bus working through the access hole in the floor of the bus. Clarkey was working on his own with the engine approx. in place (over his head) suspended on the crane by chains. He was busy putting the engine mounts in place when the chains weakest link broke. He was under the engine at the time and he ended up in the bottom of the pit with the engine on top of him. His daughter found him in the pit as she was alerted to the incident by his even bluer than usual language. Ambulance etc. were duly called. The engine had to be cut off him as one of the engine mounts had gone right through his hip. Obviously he survived this. The bus was left in this state until he was fit enough to finish the job himself. He always walked with a bit of a limp after that!

Incidentally John Clarke Coaches was on Dovecote Road, Newthorpe although it is still Eastwood to me. His wife is still alive and still lives at the same address.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, The Pianoman said:

I used to drive that bus for John Clarke. He sold it after he retired. Don't know if anyone knows the story but that is the bus that the engine fell out of while he was under it. The engine on those Bedfords is mounted in the middle of the floor and is fitted from underneath. Put the engine in the pit, push the bus over the pit and lift the engine in from underneath with a crane inside the bus working through the access hole in the floor of the bus. Clarkey was working on his own with the engine approx. in place (over his head) suspended on the crane by chains. He was busy putting the engine mounts in place when the chains weakest link broke. He was under the engine at the time and he ended up in the bottom of the pit with the engine on top of him. His daughter found him in the pit as she was alerted to the incident by his even bluer than usual language. Ambulance etc. were duly called. The engine had to be cut off him as one of the engine mounts had gone right through his hip. Obviously he survived this. The bus was left in this state until he was fit enough to finish the job himself. He always walked with a bit of a limp after that!

Incidentally John Clarke Coaches was on Dovecote Road, Newthorpe although it is still Eastwood to me. His wife is still alive and still lives at the same address.

I bought it directly from John Clarke - I remember him telling me at the time that he had replaced the engine, but he didn't tell me about the incident mentioned above.

I sold it to a young fella who took it to Ireland as his mobile home.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Aye official title was ''Van lad''.............6 months based at Midland station........taking parcels from the Trains (steam) over to Parcels office on Station street........then onto the Vans,,delivering all over Nottingham city.........all the shops and Lace Market ,,, girls everywhere,,,,,,,,,,,happy days,, but then came the call of Marsdens,, more girls and travel to exotic places.......Arnold,,Netherfield,,West Bridgford,,Stapleford,,Long Eaton,,Beeston,,Chilwell,,Mansfield,,Sutton,,Kirkby,,Blidu'th,,Renu'th and many more...........lol

15 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Aye official title was ''Van lad''.............6 months based at Midland station........taking parcels from the Trains (steam) over to Parcels office on Station street........

Just out of interest what was the Parcels office is now the NHS walk in centre,,,went a few months ago,,seemed strange,,

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

.Arnold,,Netherfield,,West Bridgford,,Stapleford,,Long Eaton,,Beeston,,Chilwell,,Mansfield,,Sutton,,Kirkby,,Blidu'th,,Renu'th and many more...

Ben, I can't remember a Marsdens in Bliduth or Renuth, CO-OP stores yes but not a Marsdens?

Until 1974 the City Council was responsible for allocating plates for all newly registered vehicles in the city. So they could provide sequentially numbered plates for the city transport and other departments. All City fire engines had 999 in their registration number.

In 1974 the DVLC took over responsibility and they didn't provide the same facility.

• Like 2

Thanks bamber, that's cleared that up. Maybe you can answer my next one, what were the contacts made of at the end of trolley poles?. At first I thought carbon/graphite but surely that would wear away quickly if they're rubbing along wire!. Then I thought brass, but again, even though brass is self lubricating, they would wear just the same! Or were they changed on a regular basis?. 

2 hours ago, Waddo said:

Ok bus guy's (and gels) it might be answered here somewhere, but why were some of the buses numbered as per their reg, and others not? Just out of curiosity.

That changed when bus registration numbers were allocated differently, Nottm started to get Derby numbers etc. GRC series .eg.

So NCT just plodded on wjth fleet numbers having nowt to do with reg numbers !

Was a bit strange at times looking for a particular bus in the depot !

• Like 1
On 2/6/2019 at 8:28 PM, Deepdene Boy said:

Hey up, Mess, glad to see there us another 'pies supporter in Northants. If I remember correctly the 44 was scheduled at 46 minutes end to end.

Yes Deepdene I've followed Notts for almost 60 years. My son and I were at Meadow Lane regularly last season and were gutted when Coventry were gifted the two games in the playoffs.

This season I've only been once when we played (and beat) Crawley in the week last year. I can’t commit to Saturdays at the moment but hope to go again before the end of the season.

BTW I still think we'll stay up but only just. When Akinde put his penalty wide on Saturday I felt that our luck had changed and we can go on and turn things around. COYP

• Like 1