11 hours ago, catfan said:

Never was a bus route as far as i can remember. Bulwell fitters went for joy rides, on test they called it !!

Bestwood Road was the original route of the Bestwood Colliery service. In the 1980s NCT started running the Saturday afternoon service when Skills pulled out of certain journeys - but they were numbered 114. Google streetview shows a Bus Stop sign outside the terrace at the Carey Road end - put up when NCT joined in operating the service as Skills passengers knew where the unmarked stops were!

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Just wondered because when I was a kid and living at Clifton the buses were NCT,South Notts and West bridgeford, NCT and South Notts had single deckers but can't remember any WBUDC,, I think all if not most West Bridgefords were low deckers because of the Wilford lane GCR bridge, can never remember any of them going over Clifton bridge

Rog

• Like 2

Somebody call.  

WBUDC's last new vehicles were single deckers, three AEC Swifts numbered 43-45 (NAL 543-545F), which NCT took into their fleet as 704-706. Mick At least one if these was at Bulwell during your time there and was often used on the paddy.(Translation for non bus workers, the paddy was the staff bus that ran after normal services had finished to get bus workers back to their homes.)

• Like 3

Thats right Mick, from Broad Marsh past Midland station,down Queens drive to the Cremorne pub, turn right and then past Clifton pit,powers station and over the old Clifton bridge turning left up Farnborough road either staying on Farnborough road to the Fairham school and turning round at Summerwood lane (61route or 61a route) to return to Nottingham, the others would turn right just past the Winning post pub up Southchurch drive to turn round at the Peacock pub island (67 route) and wait outside the main shops or carry on to the end of Southchurch drive and turn right up Farnborough road and turminate at Pastures avenue (68 route),South Notts went along London road over Trent bridge turning right along Wilford lane,under Clifton bridge and either turned left up Farnborough road or carried on past Clifton village and along Gotham lane to Gotham,East Leake, Loughborough, I think

Rog

• Like 1

Rog,the 67 carried on up Green Lane as far as the junction with Manor Farm Road/Langstrath Road. The buses would pullover to the wrong side of Green Land and then under supervision of the conductor they would back into Manor Farm Road , before pulling back out on to Green Lane to wait time at the NCT clock. I can still recall the juddering sound that the drum brakes made when they were applied at the end of the reversing manoeuvre, caused by the shoes protesting about operating "against the grain".

• Like 3

Forgot to add the South Notts buses also ran out of Huntingdon street, i think all of those buses went to Gotham,East Leake or Loughborough via Parliament street,London road, Wilford lane,Clifton lane,Gotham lane,If I caught the South Notts from Parliament street (near NCT offices) I could get off at the top of Farnborough road,I lived about halfway between that bus stop and the 68 terminus so had a choice of of buses to get home on.  I remember now the 67 reversing into Manor farm road, was it the 61 and 61a that reversed into Summerwood and the 68 into Pastures avenue, I used to live just up Farnborough road from Pasture avenue and I also remember that noise the brake shoes made when the brakes were applied when the bus was in reverse

Rog

• Like 2

Deepdene's discription & causes is spot on.

There was an old fitter at Bulwell whose sole purpose in life was to relign brake shoes the old fashioned way, drilling out the old rivets & rivetting new brake linings on the shoes. The size of those brake shoes were the biggest I had ever seen.!

There wasn't much Eric didn't know about brakes !

• Like 3

Done plenty of drilling out of the brass rivets,removing old linings and re-riveting new linings myself, quite an art to get the rivets lined up correctly so they sit in the counter sunk holes level, that was when the linings had a lot of asbestos in them, no wonder my breathing is shot

Rog

• Like 3

Ah the old ''Brass Rivets'' ey Rog,, getting the ''Counter sunk holes'' lined up proper.............eeeeh they were days,,,, lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They might have been copper rivets thinking about it, later on I think the linings were bonded to the steel shoe doing away with rivets, couldn't do anything with them when they were worn out,just chuck em in the scrap bin, clutch linings were riveted though, the linings I used to replace/repair were on old Ruston Bucyrus face shovel clutch bands, and heavy Heathfield rigid dump truck brakes and the dust was to die for,,,,,,,literally. oh happy days

Rog

• Like 1

That bus route number 29 city hospital used to run out of bilborough depot, duty no.B295. It was a long part day shift being the only one with built in overtime. It ran from the city up to city hospital and waited there for a hour before bringing back the visitors. Shift used to start about 07.30(ish) and finished about 20.45, but I could be mistaken. Didn't bother going home after first bit, just hung around the depot playing snooker etc. B. PS. Don't recognise the crew though.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
14 hours ago, catfan said:

Driver Vic Brooks & Conductor Bhogul, taken 1974 outside Bulwell Depot.

That service extra was transferred to Bulwell early '70s.

The registration on that vehicle shows as 1965, I left bilborough depot in early 1967. We were still doing the hospital run  then. Another bit of useless information, I always volunteered to work Christmas day 10..00 till 4.00pm if I remember right. Now as I look back I think those years on the buses were the best of my working life.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, catfan said:

I couldn't agree more BK. 

Buses are not just a job CF, but more a way of life.

14 hours ago, catfan said:

Driver Vic Brooks & Conductor Bhogul, taken 1974 outside Bulwell Depot.

That service extra was transferred to Bulwell early '70s.

The registration on that vehicle shows as 1965, I left bilborough depot in early 1967. We were still doing the hospital run  then. Another bit of useless information, I always volunteered to work Christmas day 10..00 till 4.00pm if I remember right. Now as I look back I think those years on the buses were the best of my working life.