Mess posted on 7th Feb 2019 about coming to Nottingham and not being able to get down Station Street.  I was already aware of that, however we had a taxi to the Midland Station the other week and that was allowed to turn off London Road into Station Street. 

I have a query that maybe someone can help with.  

We have a relative arriving into Nottingham on a National Express coach from Heathrow on Thursday, well it saves a 6-7 hour round trip for us picking him up doesn’t it?!!  Where is the closest place we can park to collect him from the drop-off on Station Street?   

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Park in the Forest, then get the tram there and back Lizzie, or will he be loaded down with luggage ?

It's the Bentick end of Station Street where you get ticket it's been pedestrianised, think it's on a camera, some still go up there, turn off Canal St onto Trent St, Station St back onto London Road, National Express can be tracked online or park in Hooters wait for the call drive round? 

• Like 1

...what RR said. 

Go along Canal Street, turn on to Trent Street and follow that round until you find yourself outside the old Boots building (now Capital One) alongside the railway station.    https://goo.gl/maps/DhQYgFVjuwv

It's normal parking meters to pay for however long you need.

On about buses, although not Nottingham buses, just watched a brilliant little film called "666 Edgware". Only about ten or twelve mins long. All about trolleybuses. Just thought I'd throw this in. Excuse me for interrupting. It was on talking pictures at 09.35. B.

Thanks all for suggested parking spots.  Hope he’s still got his PAYG phone he bought last year, that will make things a little easier but we didn’t know that it’s possible to track the NE buses, good info RR.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought moe nearer the 80's Den, I seem to remember cycling up Beechdale road and seeing the buses on my way home, but then again my maternal granny lived in the area (Glenbrook crescent) so you are probably right

Rog

Back in the 50's when the trolley bus termini were at Trent Bridge and Wilford Bridge, did they stack the busses ready for the Saturday afternoon football turn out? I can't remember, but hardly anyone had a car and many of the away side supporters would need to get to Midlands or Vic stations, in addition to the thousands heading back to town or Bullwell etc..

I'm not sure if there were ever any 'Football Specials' which went as far as Trent Bridge; I think people walked from the stations (anything from Vic would've gone to High Level) and/or the city centre.

There's lots of old photos showing a solid mass of people walking along London Road towards whichever ground, and even now on a match day it's quicker to walk along there than drive.

• Like 1

Early eighties there were football specials from Trent bridge to town, if there were any spare drivers on Saturday afternoon. Not sure but I think they went to Market and Trinity square.

• Like 2

I remember 'special' buses in the sixties which used to park up at the end of the embankment on match days. Not on the turn-round, on that stretch just through the gates. Not sure if they were trolleys though.

As CT says, the vast majority of the crowds went up London Rd and on Arky they often spilled on the road holding up traffic..

43 minutes ago, TBI said:

I remember 'special' buses in the sixties which used to park up at the end of the embankment on match days. Not on the turn-round, on that stretch just through the gates. Not sure if they were trolleys though.

As CT says, the vast majority of the crowds went up London Rd and on Arky they often spilled on the road holding up traffic..

I'm pretty sure there were no trolley wires along Victoria embankment, just some down to Trent bridge depot.

Correct BK, the trolley wires used to finished at Trent bridge end of the embankment, the other trolley wires were at the halfpenny bridge end of the embankment.

The NCT football special buses ran from near the Dog and Partridge on Parliament St railway bridge if I remember rightly.

Convenient after a few beers.

5 hours ago, TBI said:

Weren't there trolley wires from the works, down along to the end of Bunbury St and left on to the last section of the Embankment to the gates?

Yes, that was so the trollies could make their way on to the Trent bridge to bulwell market circuit (43). At the other end at half penny bridge would be 40 &47 to St Ann's. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

There were exposed tram lines at ha'penny bridge too, I came of my bike when the front wheel dropped into one.

• Like 1

Came off my bike after  coming out of Basford Gas works...on the Tram lines.......with sack of Coke on me Crossbar..............priced at 4/-

Edit    only did it once,,because us kids on Andover road used to walk the Railway line that ran along side gathering Coal that had fallen off the trucks.........Mam got me to do it.....Dad was a Railway man and woukd have gone mad..........

• Like 1

Talking of coke, I once had a morning off school to get a quarter of coke from the yard on Faraday road opposite the the white horse. When standing at the bus stop for the 39, who should pass me on his bike but Mr. Sullivan, our maths and RE teacher ! Could hardly say I was ill when I went back to school. Oops !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Beekay said:

Yes, that was so the trollies could make their way on to the Trent bridge to bulwell market circuit (43). At the other end at half penny bridge would be 40 &47 to St Ann's. 

Yes BK, I can actually remember the wires, they went past the end of our street. It would have been easier than going up Turney St and having to turn and go round the island at the top. Not just the 43 though, 41, 45 and 46.