Just as a sidetrack, last time I was up in Nottingham I did a sort of nostalgic tour of some of the routes I used to do, out of Bilborough depot. Everywhere I drove it was all sodding speed ramps !!! I pity the poor patient in an ambulance, especially one with back trouble. Did Nottingham get all their speed ramps in a job lot from a bizarre boot fare??

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976

Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses

Photo Credit : Robert Lee

The-Central-Market-July-1976-now-with-Nc

• Like 8

Just going back to enigmas photo, where did they keep the buses previously? I thought psd had plenty of space !

Parliament Street Depot. Which at the time was getting a bit full. Central Market was only a temporary depot, I think they were planning the tram back then. Trent buses pulled out of Manvers Street which was owned by the council & NCT expanded there

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, philmayfield said:

GRA1N is currently on a 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Used to be (maybe still is) owned by "Grain's" sewing machine company on the blenheim estate

• Like 2

I remember Mr. Grain’s Jag back in the ‘80’s. I parked my own identical model (without a private plate!) behind it when I went to discuss buying shrink wrapping machinery which he made in his factory on High Cross St. at the side of the model shop.

15 hours ago, philmayfield said:

GRA1N is currently on a 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Saw that a few weeks ago in the car park of the Nag’s Head in Woodborough, when we went there for lunch. The old fellow is still going strong, judging by his appetite!

Ex South Notts Bedford OB in a sorry state at a vintage vehicel and steam rally a few years ago near Lutterworth,I remember this bus being bought off South Notts bus company and being used for office staff at H J Baldwin and co Bunny Notts

P1060415.jpg

Rog

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, Atlantean 526 is no longer in preservation. David Henderson, whom I came to know quite well when he was driving for Northampton Transport, had to give up the unequal struggle against chassis corrosion. He offered it to Nottingham Heritage Vehicles for continued preservation, but they broke it for parts to keep their other ex NCT vehicles running.

• Like 2
On 4/15/2019 at 4:21 PM, plantfit said:

Newark bus running day,Celebrating the centenary of W Gash and sons Saturday 13th July,Newark town center 10am to 4 pm,Lincs roadcar vintage buses are running  free local sevices, a chance to get some of those rare pictures

Talking of Gash's buses Ian

Rog

• Like 3
On 5/28/2019 at 8:45 PM, catfan said:

One of the reasons for dropping rear dest blinds on OMO buses was concerns the driver having to leave the cab to change the destination, leaving the takings in the cab unsecured. Also time consuming, this was in the early days before the Autofare system was introduced.

The only large circular mirrors inside the bus was to allow the driver to check the centre exit doors for safety reasons.

Drivers were not permitted to reverse any bus unsupervised, which was problematic converting some routes to OMO.

Yes that is a good point, I was forgetting that originally the OMO was done with the old ticket machines and a cash tray! Of course many vehicles remained on the same route all day so the number only needed setting once. I lived on Hucknall Road as a child and I'm told it was complaints from folk using our services from Trinity Square that prompted NCT to install a side number box on the "L" registered Daimlers. Most people would approach the bus from behind at Trinity Square and got fed up having to walk around the front to see where it was going!

The two large mirrors were used on the "G" and "H" registered Atlanteans, don't know about the lowbridge ( "J" registered for Cliftons) ones though.

• Like 4

Totongirl, there were no large mirrors on the lowbridge Atlanteans 395-400, as they were confined to the Clifton services via Trent Bridge which were conductor operated, so reversing was always done under guidance from the conductor. I regularly witnessed the 67s backing into Manor Farm Road from Green Lane, before pulling forward to the Langstrath Road terminal point.

• Like 5