10 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

I regularly witnessed the 67s backing into Manor Farm Road from Green Lane

I remember the 68 bus reversing off Farnborough road into Pastures avenue and the brakes making a god awful noise as they were applied with the bus reversing,the bus would then drive out of Pastures avenue and stop at the  bus stop just down Farnborough road on the opposite side,no brake noise there,was the noise caused by dust in the brake drums or no leading edge on the brake shoes when the vehicle was in reverse? the noise happened on nearly all buses whether they be NCT,South Notts or West Bridgford UDC

Rog

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Normally it was the angle the shoes presented to the drum after a degree of wear had taken place and the different leading edge when going backwards, new drums almost never did it. There is also the fact that when reversing the braking effort is usually very light.

We had an Atkinson eight wheeled tipper that did it after a brake re-line (rear wheels). It turned out the brake in question had a different brand of lining and I was told it was 'harder' than the Ferodo brand we usually used. Changed it and the noise stopped.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone remember the midland general motor rally club which ran from 1963 to1966, it was organized by Gordon Ince and his wife Eunice,and a friend of theirs Nick E.P. Raynard who at the had something to do with F1 stockcar racing.I remember doing rallies around the dukeries and a day trip to Hustanton and also a day field rally behind the Griffins Head at Papplewick,l still have the badge which looked good mounted on the grill beside the RAC badge great memories.

Does anyone remember the midland general motor rally club which ran from 1963 to1966, it was organized by Gordon Ince and his wife Eunice,and a friend of theirs Nick E.P. Raynard who at the had something to do with F1 stockcar racing.I remember doing rallies around the dukeries and a day trip to Hustanton and also a day field rally behind the Griffins Head at Papplewick,l still have the badge which looked good mounted on the grill beside the RAC badge great memories.

Hi Pianoman i knew Gordon Inces dad but can not remember his name ,Gordon Inces name was the point of many jokes like we use to call him Garden Ince as in (Hints) did you know his dad? they lived in Eastwood.

Hi Pianoman who was Cliff Ince and where did he live? Gordon Ince was a bus driver for mgo in the early 60s and quite often drove the B3 bus from Mount St. to Alfreton which l would catch at Nuthall Three Ponds pub.I think he had 2 girls and no boys.

Cliff Ince was a Trent bus driver at Mansfield and later Sutton Junction at the time I was there. He was also a PSV instructor as well. He was ex Midland General possibly Mansfield District (Green 'uns) as well. He is likely to be retired now.

• 3 weeks later...

Could'nt find it Fly. Won't repost it again, don't want to bore folks to death. Probably had enough of me on Radford photos.

Type in Hauliers in the search facility at the top right hand corner. Otherwise go to the Forums page, and scroll down to the Transport section, and you should find it .

Hello Toton girl, I think the ones on the 43/44 route would be a little bit more modern than this one I'm parked in bulwell market, outside the old Olympia, (Woolworths). On the way up to Camberley rd. If, as your profile states, your To ton, do you know Toton lane Stapleford ? Just the other side of Bardills island, over the A52. My sister in law lives there. Just saying, is all. :rolleyes:

On 8/7/2019 at 5:58 PM, Beekay said:

Hello Toton girl, I think the ones on the 43/44 route would be a little bit more modern than this one I'm parked in bulwell market, outside the old Olympia, (Woolworths). On the way up to Camberley rd. If, as your profile states, your To ton, do you know Toton lane Stapleford ? Just the other side of Bardills island, over the A52. My sister in law lives there. Just saying, is all. :rolleyes:

Hi Beekay, I live off Stapleford Lane in Toton, often walk upto Toton Lane for the tram to Beeston. Small world isn't it?

On 8/7/2019 at 8:02 PM, Deepdene Boy said:

Beekay, Totongirl is correct, Bulwell depot were allocated Fleetlines 79-94, once the trolleybuses finished along with Atlanteans, from 420 - 444.

I thought so. My Nana lived at 3 Vere Street Bulwell, now the bus staion, and we often went to visit on a 43/44. I can remember being on a trolleybus swinging round Bulwell Market, he went really fast!

• Like 1

Hi Totongirl, just to add to you post on visiting grandparents, I can remember catching a 43/44 from top of boden st., to bulwell market then walking up quarry rd., commercial rd., to visit my gran and grandad. Used to go Sunday morning to be in time for dinner. Grandad had his dinner then went off to bed, saying " make sure you look after me rabbits". It were only a couple of years ago I was sent a photo of their gravestone up at northern cemetery, I realised grandad died in 1949 and I used to visit them on my own aged six ! All that way on a bus, on me Todd.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the clarification Deepdene , I figured someone would update bus info. I never studied em, I just drove em. I knew there are people more knowledgeable than me. B.

• Like 1
On 8/7/2019 at 1:18 PM, Beekay said:

img20190807-12594940.jpg

Bit late I realise, but this is one I used to drive, out of Bilborough.

Happen I am missing something 'ere but wasn't the idea of sticking the engine at the back and having a full width bus at the front done to facilitate one man operation? The man with the 'X' on his back standing with his back to the driver appears to be a conductor. Didn't conductors wear dark green or was that just drivers?

Looks like a conductor, they were still used on Clifton routes and 35 to Bulwell until early eighties. Maybe they still used them on all routes until a certain date. It looks like the conductor is wearing a summer jacket, they were light coloured and then in later years changed to green, worn by drivers and conductors.

• Like 2

In answer Piano man, when fleet lines were first introduced they were still 2 man crewed. Your right about green uniform, however that conductor, John ( Andy) Devine was wearing the summer jacket. They were still double crews when I left in late 1966. Uniforms were changed from double breasted to single breasted about 1964 ish. I can recall trial omo buses, still using the old conductors machines strapped down. It wasn't an X it was two leather straps, one a cash bag, the other a ticket machine.  thumbsup

• Like 2