• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

To the very best of my knowledge, yes. When I started on Corpo in 1962, the summer jackets were like a lime green or pale green anyway. When they changed over in 64'  the summer jacket was like camel/taupe colour with green epaulettes and green cuffs. Lots of us being late teenagers used to roll our sleeves up to impress the ladies. Some even wore their summer jackets in winter !!

Bit of useless information to above. When we became a full crew, I bought a quart Thermos flask so we could have drink during the shift. It served us well with coffee, at least two & half cups each. Still got that flask 55 years later ! Still working perfectly. :yahoo:

Beekay did that flask have a tartan print on the outside?

I had a similar one with a wide mouth that you could put really chunky soup or chipolata sausages and beans in.

Great on a cold winters day when fishing.

Did you subscribe to milk in the flask or one who insisted that the milk be added separately, in our case from a Camp coffee bottle.

Hi Oz., had a look in the cupboard and the pattern is like a light blue background with little stars pattern all over it. We only ever used to make coffee to take to work, (we took it in turns) I used to make it in a jug, complete with milk and sugar. Only ever used it since to carry hot water when on long car journeys for fresh tea. Do use it when we have a threat of power cut to store boiling water, especially during storms. It's not a food flask so doesn't have wide mouth. B

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Built in the 50's and 60's? Many areas of Nottingham and villages in Notts had "Wimpey estates"

For some reason many of them had a rough aggregate outside finish as the walls were moulded concrete.

Clifton Estate had many Wimpey homes as did an estate in Rainworth

• 1 month later...

Has anyone got any pictures of Nottingham Atlanteans and Fleetlines before they were rebuilt with centre exits? I'd love to see the rear destination displays as well, these vehicles were so handsome in their original condition. Thanks.

I don't really know which thread to post this on but it fits lots of threads. Like Totongirls request for photos.

Each time I  read them, I  think what a great tragedy that I  never owned or had access to a camera until I  got married in 1965. It saddens me to think of all the images I've missed over the years. My earliest photograph of me is when I were 17 years old, so no kids /school pictures or owt'. Nottstalgians has ignited my thirst for things gone by and it makes me feel guilty that I can't  offer any contributions. Forgive my waffling.  Beekay  :sorry:

• Like 1

IMG-20170307-135032.jpg

I know it's not a Fleetline, but this is one of the vehicles I drove. I believe it is now based at Ruddington transport museum. I would dearly love to see it again and possibly have a sit in it would be amazing.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Totongirl,

I know it is not a NCT Atlantean but is this the sort of bus you are looking for?

It is an ex NSW Transport bus Photo Daily Telegraph

Image result for atlantean buses

Thank you but not really. I just remember the NCT Atlanteans and Fleetlines when they were brand new but still had conductors. We travelled on them quite a bit as a family, on one occasion the conductor let me press the lever on his ticket machine to issue my ticket. Just childhood memories but in those days only adults had cameras and my dad never used his to take pictures of NCT!

There are a couple of pictures on the previous page TG. Your last post just echoes what I said earlier about regretting not having a camera in my early days. I had some great times on NCT, but equally, some crap days.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Beekay said:

There are a couple of pictures on the previous page TG. Your last post just echoes what I said earlier about regretting not having a camera in my early days. I had some great times on NCT, but equally, some crap days.

Hi Beekay, I suppose we can all say that about our jobs! After many years I only do mine now for the money, they managed to beat the interest out of me years ago! There are actually a lot of pictures on this thread if you have an hour to spare going through it, just not quite  "the one", not yet anyway! Thanks for the interest.

I've got 2/3 pictures I have to clean up tomorrow if they're any use TG. But not quite sure what you're looking for. If you can elaborate or even PM me then I'll see what I  can do. After all, two sets of eyes are better than one.

22 hours ago, Beekay said:

I've got 2/3 pictures I have to clean up tomorrow if they're any use TG. But not quite sure what you're looking for. If you can elaborate or even PM me then I'll see what I  can do. After all, two sets of eyes are better than one.

Hi Beekay, I'm just being nostalgic. As a child we lived on Hucknall Road and the 6/17/18/28 group of routes always seemed (to me as a child) to be used as a testing ground for brand new busses. I remember how handsome the HTO***D, MTO***F and PTO***G registered vehicles looked as they passed by.  Pictures  of the Daimlers in particular before they were rebuilt  seem to be so rare and anything other than a standard front end view even more so. I always felt that rebuilding these busses spoilt them and removing the rear destination blinds to leave a black rectangle made them look awful! 

Thank you in advance for any pictures you have, I keep looking on ebay as well.

Hi Totongirl, the Hucknall Road routes you mention were on the "Bagthorpe" rota and were the first to be converteed to OMO (One Man Operation) in January 1970. Hence the reason for the Fleetlines and Atlantans being used on them. As at that time the drivers were still handling cash and issuing tickets from "Ultimate" ticket machines they couldn't leave their cabs to change the rear blinds. To my eye the OTO-M batch of Atlanteans were the finest examples of the Nottingham Standard.

• Like 1

The Bagthorpe rota was originally time tested with new buses for one man operation.As a consequence afterwards the Bagthorpe rota representatives demanded new buses on that rota.

A practice that annoyed many drivers on NCT, myself being one of them,

When Bulwell depot went part one man operation in May '75, routes 44 & 71 we were allocated buses 160 - 184, Daimler fleetlines, we thought it was Christmas & our birthdays together.

Bulwell had never had buses only two years old before.

• Like 2