It didn't all go smoothly with the Bulwell OMO allocations. The original plan was that Bulwell would get some of the older Fleetlines, whilst the deopt chairman of the TGWU was demanding an allocation of new Atlanteans, 586-611. There was much toing and froing between management and the TGWU, I know,as I heard one half of the many eveinng phone calls in the spring of '75, before the compromise was struck and the entire batch of Willowbrook bodied Fleetlines went to Bulwell depot

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

On 3/16/2020 at 9:26 PM, Deepdene Boy said:

Hi Totongirl, the Hucknall Road routes you mention were on the "Bagthorpe" rota and were the first to be converteed to OMO (One Man Operation) in January 1970. Hence the reason for the Fleetlines and Atlantans being used on them. As at that time the drivers were still handling cash and issuing tickets from "Ultimate" ticket machines they couldn't leave their cabs to change the rear blinds. To my eye the OTO-M batch of Atlanteans were the finest examples of the Nottingham Standard.

Yes I'd forgotton about the drivers still handling cash in those days, now I remember, the red drop boxes and no change given started with the L registered Fleetlines.

It was pictures of the Fleetlines and Atlanteans from just before OMO and rebuilding that I was interested in, as I said they seem to be very hard to come by.

• 1 month later...

During the lockdown I've noticed on my shopping trips to Beeston that the gas buses have gone from the Orange 36, replaced by Orange 35 diesel vehicles. Is this due to the higher cost of running the gas buses? Obviously I've not been elsewhere in Nottingham so don't know if gas buses are still operating on other routes.

The gas for the ‘gas’ buses is supplied direct from the mains gas. Don’t be mislead by the ‘enviro gas’ bit. The makers of the ‘green’ gas pump it directly into the mains. City Transport probably pay the ‘green’ gas supplier direct. It’s the same as ‘green electricity’, it all comes in on the same overhead cables.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, philmayfield said:

The gas for the ‘gas’ buses is supplied direct from the mains gas. Don’t be mislead by the ‘enviro gas’ bit. The makers of the ‘green’ gas pump it directly into the mains. City Transport probably pay the ‘green’ gas supplier direct. It’s the same as ‘green electricity’, it all comes in on the same overhead cables.

I didn't know that, just assumed it was methane from natural sources! I did know that the electric buses (and cars) are charged off the grid which is laughable, coal or nuclear generated electricity going into them. 

I often see one of those Nottbus 510/511 vehicles being charged at Beeston Interchange  middle of the day, presumably because it can't complete a days work going up the hills either side of Bardills island!

So are any of the gas buses in use or have NCT gone back to diesel only?

That's what I  wondered Ian. :rolleyes: The only electric buses I knew were called trolleys. 

I was curious about the ‘green’ gas. I thought they might have brought it in by tanker but I asked an old friend of mine who used to be managing director of Nottingham City Transport and he had a wander down there and confirmed it was from the mains supply. He is 86 now so has been retired for some years. No fancy gas buses in his day!

Do they have tanks similar to gas bottles installed some? When I worked on A 2 B taxis, a mate of mine had car converted to gas. He had what looked like a Calor gas bottle in the boot. Took up a lot of space though.

Yes the Buses have a tank for the gas, which is Liquefied Natural Gas as opposed to Liquified Petroleum Gas, previously and still used in cars and vans for many years.

The L.N.G is mains gas but pressurised at the fill point into a liquid to be pumped into the Bus tank.

The bus company, or any other user, has to have a contract with a Biogas supplier in order to get the grants they receive and the Biogas supplier can't sell more Biogas than they produce (or buy from producers).

It's all metered both ends to check no-one is fiddling it.

The Biogas is produced mainly on farms and pumped into the normal gas mains.

Locally there's a few production sites along the A.46

Thank you Stuart, I've  now got an image of buses queueing up on the A46 when it's time for a refill. 

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Beekay said:

Thank you Stuart, I've  now got an image of buses queueing up on the A46 when it's time for a refill. 

Well I had a vision of a large herd of cows in the depot all farting into the bus tank.........

• Like 1

Could be worse TG. Could be a large herd of Nostalgians doing the same thing into the bus tanks.

A better quality gas.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

But all in the best possible taste TG. You get more smiles to the gallon! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The yellow rear number plates did not start appearing until 1968 so it is definitely post that. They did become compulsory until 1973 so it could have been taken after that too.

Looks like an Alexander bodied Daimler CV? probably built in the 1950's

One of the drivers must have been a bit careless as it looks like a dent in the nearside front roof dome

According to Facebook it is a Daimler with Massey bodywork, taken outside Newark Bus Station. Full caption is

Gash of Newark was a keen user of Daimler chassis are here we see a CVG6 type double decker with Massey body, featuring platform doors. As was normal with Gash, this vehicle gave long service, from 1954 until 1987 when it was sold direct into preservation.

23 minutes ago, notty ash said:

According to Facebook it is a Daimler with Massey bodywork

Can't disagree Notty Ash the Alexander and Massey bodied Daimlers looked very similar.

What made me think Alexander was the straight lines of the bottom of the drivers window, many Massey's that I saw had a distinct curve on the bottom edge. 

I am working from a 40+ years ago memory of travelling on these as a kid. My favourite spot was downstairs at the front behind the driver and there was often a badge on the interior of who did the bodywork and interior. At one stage all I wanted to be was a bus driver.

6 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Is that a Daimler bus and what year would it be? Early fifties.

Do you mean the bus itself, or when the photo was taken ?

On the far right is a Toyota Corolla Estate which makes the photo at least mid 1970s.

Whenever it was, it looks a bit bloody close to that lorry. were the drivers passing fags?

The year of bus going by the number plate RAL795 ithink is early 50s my dad had an Austin A40 Devon and its number plate was NAL 978 which was 1952 so the bus number plate would make it a bit newer the photo is definitely newer.