• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Trying to avoid some twit standing in the road taking  a photograph!     thumbsup

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 9:50 PM, Oztalgian said:

Ben, I can't remember a Marsdens in Bliduth or Renuth, CO-OP stores yes but not a Marsdens?

Just noticed this OZ,,,sorry you are correct......getting my Marsdens and Coops a bit mixed......maybe because i have so many happy memories  of both...

• 1 month later...

Excellent bus site, thanks. I did go to the surgery about my bus obsession, but when I got there the receptionist said there wasn't a doctor available. I waited and waited, and then three came along at once.

A few Trent Barton

Trent Barton

A different interest is postboxes. Don't call the big yellow taxi yet. They are interesting artifacts, some of them Victorian, left out in all weathers, and snapping them keeps me off the streets.See

Notts Postboxes

A list of Notts box locations here

http://edwardbetts.com/postboxes/NG.html

Hello, hello, anyone still there? Please don't take the pizo over these interests.smile2

B.

48 minutes ago, Baznotinnotts said:

Hello, hello, anyone still there?

Deep breath and reeeelaaax Baz someone will be along in a moment to help you... In the meantime should feel the need to talk there is a helpline you can ring - just follow the instructions.

Hello, welcome to the mental health hotline.

If you have obsessive compulsive disorder, press 1 repeatedly.
If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2 for you.
If you have multiple personality syndrome, press 3, 4, 5, and 6.
If you suffer from paranoid schizophrenia, we know who you are and what you want. Stay on the line so we can trace your call.
If you are delusional, press 7 and your call will be transferred to the mothership.
If you are hearing voices, listen carefully and a small voice will tell you which number to press.
If you are manic depressive, it doesn't matter which button you press. No one will answer anyway.
If you are dyslexic, press 96969696969696.
If you have a nervous disorder, please fidget with the pound button until a representative comes on the line.
If you have amnesia, press 8 and state your name, address, phone number, date of birth and your mother's and grandmother's maiden names.
If you have bi-polar disorder, please leave a message after the beep. Or before the beep. Or after the beep. Please wait for the beep.
If you have short term memory loss, please try to call again in a few minutes.

If you have Tourettes syndrome please shout an obscenity of your choice very loudly

If you have low self esteem, please hang up. All our representatives are busy.

• Like 2

I am in two minds, and counting,  about taking this excellent advice. I have all of the above, and am looking for more as I hate being left out. I really must take a trip to Jerus ..., ah no, that's a pub, a trip to Nottingham to restore my equilibrium. A snack upstairs in Woolworths cafe, or a browse around Griffin and Spalding, Jessops or Pearsons, chips in the Snackery (full 'arse), watch Forest play Man U, and of course shake hands and hug all my former contacts .... but a TARDIS may be required.

B.

27 minutes ago, Baznotinnotts said:

I am in two minds, and counting,  about taking this excellent advice. I have all of the above, and am looking for more as I hate being left out. 

If you stick around here for long enough you'll find that we have Meet-ups where you could perhaps indulge some of your peculiar interests. At the moment those meetings are on hold until the world returns to something resembling normal.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This picture is causing some debate on Facebook.  It was posted by a chap who says he's not from Nottm and would like to know where the shot was taken.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3FNSpS5sVYCwJ5t77

So.. 17 ran from Bulwell by Adelphi Cinema via St Albans Rd, Kersal Drive, Hucknall R, Arnold Rd, Heathfield Rd, Ventnor Rise, Valley Rd, Hucknall Rd again.. and into town via Mansfield Rd.

At first, I didn't see the clock on the post next to the bus and thought the building in background might be the Heathfield Pub on Arnold Rd/Heathfield Rd junction.. but then the bus would be going to Bulwell, not Trinity Square..

A lot of folk keep insisting it's near the shops at the bottom of Gainsford Crs. on Arnold Rd.. but the 17 never went that way..the buildings look wrong and I don't recall any 'bus clock' on Bestwood Est apart from the one near the Jn. of Leybourne Drive and Padstow Rd at the 28 terminus.

No.. the 17 turned RIGHT at Arnold Rd down towards Heathfield and never actually strayed into Bestwood Est.

Finally it dawned on me.  The clock is on Hucknall Rd, a few yards uphill on the 'City' side of the Valley Rd roundabout.  So, the pic was taken from the end of Costock Avenue looking across Hucknall Rd with the shops on the other side in the background. I well remember the 17, and possibly 28 and 6 too..stopping at that clock. The shops are stil there and are now I believe include the Golden Phoenix Takeaway and a couple of Hairdressers etc.

Map view here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9863837,-1.1590748,168m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

There's still a bus stop there and the 17 still stops there.. :)

What does the team think?

I would say that it is Arnold road, the shops look identical, but the 17 never went anywhere near that area and in my time living on Bestwood buses never went on that part of the road. That section of the road is the access road for the shops , Arnold road is where the photographer would be standing.

The only thing that brings doubt to me is house to the front of the bus, on checking google earth there are no houses that close, Land croft Crescent is much further back .

It could also be that the bus was not in service at the time. I realise that there is someone sitting upstairs, but that doesn't prove anything. 17s never went into Bestwood. The driver might be moving from on route to another, which happened quite often on part day shifts, (a bit in the morning, then a break followed by a bit in the afternoon).

At Bilborough, the most profitable of these shifts was B245, a bit in the morning- break-afternoon followed by the 29 service from town up to City Hospital, then wait there for an hour and take visitors back home via the same route. Run light back to Bilborough.

I can understand why people might think it's Arnold Road shops.. but I'm not convinced. There were shops in similar style in a lot of places. I can't remember clearly where the 6 terminus was.  Was it there? Was there a clock at Arnold Rd.?

1. I don't remember a clock there.

2. As both Trogg and Beekay state.. the 17 never went into Bestwood.

3 The surrounding houses look wrong for Arnold Rd.

4 The chimneys on the shops behind the bus are tall. This is still the case at Valley Rd/Hucknall Rd junction but not so at Arnold Rd.

I accept that the number on the bus could be misleading if there was a shift change or something. But I'm still convinced the bus is stopped at the clock on the Nottm bound side of Hucknall Rd heading up to Perry Rd and the shops just look similar to Arnold Rd because they ARE similar.

I think the shot is taken from Costock Ave and the foreshortening effect is making Hucknall Rd look narrower than it is.

Finally.. There is a white line visible in the middle of the road.. hinting at a two lane road.. not a side road/ access road. Not that I'm arguing you understand...

I never argue....:rolleyes: