I'm not that up on the fleet Den but the Ad on the side of the bus is for Dreft. I wonder if that is still sold?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Arnold road without doubt,,however cant think why the bus had stopped there,,,the number 6 Terminus was top of the hill behind and across the road,,near the Rent Office,and yes there was a clock there.....

I can only think the Bus had broken down and was Parked there out of the way for convenience,,,and the Driver or conductor had gone upstairs for a fag....just out of interest there was a Marsdens on that parade of shops,,,Manager Albert Drayton,,i worked the odd day there early 60s....

Knew a few girls down that way Jill.........sadly no conquests ,, :(

Edit........Dolly nearly was,,,but her Dad put a stop to it,,when he saw her in my Granville basket going down Hove road....

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

....just out of interest there was a Marsdens on that parade of shops,,,Manager Albert Drayton,,i worked the odd day there early 60s....

And out of more interest, for a few years in the late 1960s my dad worked in the chemists in that row of shops behind the bus.

• Like 1

Arnold Road looks right to me. The problem with Google street view is that it distorts images and makes distant things look much further away than they are. There are some houses in the right place on Landcroft that match the distinctive roofline of the houses in the background of the bus picture...

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.994843,-1.1607642,3a,75y,195.57h,83.86t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1siSO0r4uz00QqN97P3yXxAg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DiSO0r4uz00QqN97P3yXxAg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D117.12703%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Where they bus is parked was the terminus of route 18, which also went to Trinity Sq. That would explain the clock. The 18 departed along Gainford Crescent.

The small domestic garage in the background is still there. I can't imagine anywhere else with so many similarities.

3 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I can understand why people might think it's Arnold Road shops.. but I'm not convinced. There were shops in similar style in a lot of places.

Proof of the pudding would seem to be ... the present Select & Save is 119-121 Arnold Rd... 1950's maps show the address of the properties that would be behind the bus as ... 119-121.

It is the shops on Arnold Rd were the Vape shop is used to be "Aurdreys" hairdresser's it was upstairs. I worked there for a time.

Cliff i remembr the chemist it was just below our salon, lots of things have changed the Green Barrel Pub used to be a little futher down on the other side of the road, it has probably gone now and house's are in it's place.

Ok. I surrender. It's Arnold Rd.

It looks like the chimneys on the shops have been shortened at some point.

This still leaves us asking why the bus has 17 on it as those shops are way off the 17 route.

I remember the 6 running along Gainsford Crescent,... theee was a stop right outside HP and still is... but I have no memory of a No. 18

Morning DJ360 did the 18 bus go near Daybrook or around Edwards Lane est then went past Home Ales brewrey up past Bestwood by Nell Qwyn past the Oxclose then Arnold Rd then into the city, ? 

just a thought

but as Cliff says most of the pubs gone never to return. Home Ales as well.

The 18 started where the photo was taken and headed round Gainford Crescent and down Hucknall Road into the city. I suspect the conductor just forgot to change the number. Both the 17 and 18 went to Trinity Sq, so once the bus got to the City Hospital they were on the same route anyway.

Looking back at one of my earliest posts   https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/7151-nottm-bus-routes-1940s/?tab=comments#comment-91118

the map is from the 1940s and the service which goes around Gainsford is the No 6, with the 18 nearby on Edwards Lane.

Click on the 'Download' icon at the bottom of the first post, then zoom in on the map.

Sorry to disagree 'NottyAsh'' but i'm certain the 18 never went onto Bestwood estate,,,the only two buses that did were the 6 and 28,,,not sure where the terminus for the 18 was exactly but i assume it was what it said on the tin ''Edwards Lane''

I grew up on Bestwood estate and caught the 6 or 28 for many years to get home,,,yes the 18 left from Trinity sq same as the 6 and 28,,but definitely didnt terminate on Bestwood,,

I'm pretty sure the 18 ran from Edwards lane. It had a time clock (as did most of not all termini). This was opposite city hospital about where the Skoda showroom is/was.

Thanks for that Stuart. Bloody Hell ! Don't think I'd recognise that area now. Turning the picture round I did identify the City Hospital exit. I believe they had a Social club just inside there. Went to an Aunts 80th birthday party there and now I'm only three years off that meself. :Shock:

Hi Beekay yes your right the City Hospital did have it's own Social Club have spent many good Saturdays nights out there. My sister in law  used to work as pa to a doctor, the doctors and nurses would have parties and used to get invited. 

What's a Party?