Further to the number 17 bus outside the shops on Arnold Road I have been looking at Cliff Tons post of August 13th 2010 in "Nottm Bus Routes 1940s" , the map there shows a bus route to Bestwood Estate which indicates that the route went up Gainsford Crescent and ended at the far end of the Crescent.  The number 18s Terminus was on Edwards Lane Estate and never went near Bestwood Estate.

The terminus would be outside of the shops on Arnold Road hence the clock there, I was unable to determine the number of the route, but the map does show that the 17 went to Bulwell and that there was no number 28 at that time , it may be it was the number 6 and the driver had not put the right number on the bus. Hope this clears the matter up or maybe more confusion.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Trogg,,i have an excellent memory from when i was 4 or 5 living on Bestwood estate,,,in 1949 my Mam or Dad would put me on the 28 bus on Andover road near the first cul-de-sac,,the bus then went along Andover up Hove road onto Leybourne dropping me off more or less outside your house.,,and from there i crossed the road and into my Grandma's house,at 126...

Sometimes even way back in 1949 i caught the number 6 bus with my Grandma and travelled 2 or 3 stops to the far end of Arnold road to the rent office,,which was the number 6 Terminus...

Even caught the 17 from Marble Arch to Adelphi with me mam,,,probably to see 'Gone with the wind'...........

IF there was another bus route it would have been before my travels in the late 40s................

The City transport map was most probably from the early 40s  with the 28 route starting later in the 40s together with moving the number 6 terminus later in the 40s. As their map shows,  at the time of printing, there was no number 28 route and the 6 stopped at the far end of Gainsford, your memory is from the late 40s.

• Like 1

Bet you recall some of these names near you on Leybourne Trogg.............Witts,,Clarke,,Starkey,,Copeland,,Collins,,Freestone,,Mculloch,,Camm,,Jackson,,Walters,,Arthur,,Allcock,,Shepherd,,Hopkins,,Spencer,,Durham,,........i wont go past Eardley or Hove road......lol

He still lives there,,next door to where he used to be,,,he had lots of brothers and sisters.......Barry,,Brenda,,Lynda,,Andrew,,and Angela,,and even more cousins ,,of which i am one.....

Thanks for the link of the bus routes Cliff Ton it helped unlock a few memories for me and confirms in my mind where the 18 terminus was. I was born in my aunts' house on Longmead Drive 75 years ago this week. When I was about 10 I used to catch the 18 bus from Trinity Square to Longmead and can remember clearly now sitting on the top deck and looking in the churchyard. During the journey there was a water works/pumping station somewhere near the junction of Hucknall Road and Haydn Road. The route then carried on to Edwards Lane and turned off into Alderton Road, at the crossroad with Longmead Drive it turned right and the terminus was on the right a couple of hundred yards up opposite a block of two shops one a grocer and the other a greengrocer. Another memory was sitting close to a heater on the bus, it was a large chrome circular unit bolted to the bulkhead, fantastic as I lived in a world where my dad's cars didn't have heaters.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, davep5491 said:

When I was about 10 I used to catch the 18 bus from Trinity Square to Longmead and can remember clearly now sitting on the top deck and looking in the churchyard. 

You're the first person I've known to mention seeing the churchyard in Trinity Square. My earliest memory of that area is the site being an empty space/car park after the church had been demolished.

I can remember Trinity Square church as well CT. Your not old enough to have seen it I'm  afraid. But with your bottomless pit of photographic images, I've no doubt you've seen pictures. Got to admit though, the memory gets greyer as the years move on.

• 1 month later...

It's one of the few that I think were good looking and quite a modern (for the time), design. For some reason I always thought of them as 'heavy'

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

What was the ‘bus company on Nuthall Rd., somewhere near Embassy Tyres?

Dunn-Line - but weren't they called something like 'Montegrange' before they became Dunn-Line. Moved out to Codnor then to Catchems Corner or was it the other way round before they ended up at Heanor as Yourbus......

Catchems, then Dunns sold to Veolia and one of the son's, Scott, started Yourbus based at Hucknall then later moved to Heanor.

On of my sons worked in the office at Catchems for a while although I beleive the trading address was Park lane which is at the back of there.

Dunns had aquired a few smaller coach companies prior to Catchems so whoever was at Nuthall road may have been one them

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

Catchems, then Dunns sold to Veolia and one of the son's, Scott, started Yourbus based at Hucknall then later moved to Heanor.

On of my sons worked in the office at Catchems for a while although I beleive the trading address was Park lane which is at the back of there.

Dunns had aquired a few smaller coach companies prior to Catchems so whoever was at Nuthall road may have been one them

DunnLine were definitely at Nuthall Road in 1986 as used to see their buses causing mayhem on the road as they tried to get in/out of the tight driveway - whether they then moved to Catchems or already had a second depot I don't know......

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

RR. I really enjoyed reading that story - never read it before.    I felt a BIT sorry for him, but only a bit!

Margie ,  you felt sorry for him, a pack of women can be dangerous when I was 21 I took up a part time job on my days off delivering lace to home workers. The factory employed about 50 females of all ages the only other male was the boss, all went well until I was back in the place at break time. I went into the canteen for a cup of tea, what a mistake. Eyes started to burn my body and the noise level rose and hands grabbed my body and took me to a table where a row a pennies appeared on the table, these were the old pennies. Lets see if he can cover these the shout rang out, I dont know how I managed it but I pulled my self free, I think it was sheer terror, I exited the building and locked myself in the van.  I never went into the canteen again, food and drink was just not worth the risk. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1