• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Something similar happened to me Trogg when i was a Granville delivering to a factory in Netherfield........was really cut-up when i got moved .....lo\l

• Like 1

@trogg .... but the man in the story sort of deserved his humiliation....even though the girls had been willing participants in his philandering at some point.  You, however, were just a shy young lad (or were you?)

Margie of course I was a shy young lad I still am,  we have drifted off topic so to keep it on topic I went home on the 44 Trolley bus, have you noticed whatever the subject Bens favourite pastime arises , lol.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Totongirl said:

I think this vehicle may still exist, wasn't it used by UKIP in the 2015 general election?

One of two Daimler Fleetlines converted to fully automatic gearbox. 160 & 161 were an experiment which woefully failed. Absolute tripe. Along with heavy steering enough to give you a hernia. These buses were later fitted with the Hissing Side steering conversion.

• 2 weeks later...

Replying to the Pianoman. It was called the St Helens front as St Helens Corporation first specified the scalloped front nearside wing on the so-called "new look front" to give better kerbside visibility when drawing up to stops.

Notty Ash is correct in his assertion that this was the last Albion/Leyland Lowlander built. IIRC I think that this bus was either badly damaged or destroyed in the same arson attack at Ruddington that destroyed NCT's AEC Renown 370 and Leyland Atlantean 523, along with South Notts' 117,the last Leyland Fleetline to be built.

10 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

The front end on that was referred to as a St Helens Front, for whatever reason. First bus I ever drove was similar but with open rear platform, then owned by Dunn Line.

That's interesting.  I've lived in the Borough of St Helens for 40+ years now.  My former boss was instrumental in the setting up of St Helens Transport Museum and was a fount of all knowledge on obscure details such as which buses had an opening rear upstairs window etc.  Sadly, like many places now, St Helens is infested with Arriva buses.  I've been meaning to contact my old boss for a while so if I can speak to him, I'll ask him about the 'St Helens Front'.

On 4/17/2020 at 6:39 PM, Cliff Ton said:

There's a thread titled Windmill Cafe but so far there's no photo to show what it looked like or exactly where it was.

cySzQFa.jpg

Opposite the Odeon.

Great picture. Thanks for posting it Cliff.

Looking at your picture, is just about where we used to start/stop the city buses out of Bilborough depot for a while, when they were developing M.M.way. They've all stopped there at on time, 16,32, 30 62, even 56 & 60. I'm talking about the days when you drove down Derby Road. (Useless stuff but there you go).

Beekay, In the 50s when I lived on Elstree Drive off Hollington Rd my mum and used to take me to town and back on the 60, 56 and 13. I remember the Granby St terminus. I think there was an NCT clock there. I grew to love the old platform entrance motor buses but as a nipper I used to get travel sick, probably because I couldn't see out the window. I vividly remember the big polished steel dome on the floor at the front presumably covering the gears and the drive. There was usually a BSM advert in a frame above it with a map of Britain as a driver holding a steering wheel. Mad, the things you remember from childhood.

• Like 1

Hi Mess, bet you don't remember those back open end buses, where, when I was a conductor, used to stand at the back on the platform (except when collecting fares). At the front, where you're talking about, you wouldn't notice the little sliding hatch to converse with the driver and the immortal words "No Spitting", "No Smoking". Us young 'uns soon got the hang of collecting fares. Coming from the terminus, got it down to a fine art of only going upstairs twice for the whole journey. Catch 'em when they boarded and say, "take yer ticket up mate"? The busiest and best time was Goose Fair, then it was non stop fighting your way round the bus, rattling your six pennies in your hand, shouting,"Any more fares PLEASE"!.... Loved it.!

• Like 1

I kid you not, honest! My biggest fear when either conducting or driving was a pregnant lady going into labour on me bus. Irrational, I know.

I certainly do remember the open platforms at the back of the bus. Without them I would have been late for work many times. I've jumped on a moving number 43 or 44 trolley bus many times on my way to school games in the early 60s not to mention the number 40 motor bus on my way to my first job in Wilford in 1967.  I also recall the space under the stairs for pushchairs and luggage and the conductor shouting “ holdee tight” as he pressed the bell push twice to signal to the driver to move off. Best of all was pushing the bell yourself because you were stuck behind standing passengers and wanted to get off. I used to love the sound of the conductor shaking his leather money pouch to find your change and when he gave you six penny tickets on a roll because his machine had run out of the single sixpenny ones. Happy days.

• Like 1

I recall times when, as a conductor before moving to Bilborough, being on the 39 trolley route, Carlton Square to Middleton boulevard (shown as 39 Wollaton Park). Having stopped at Radford boulevard school and 40 odd kids getting on to go to Orston drive playing fields (at side of the old canal). Issuing two adult tickets @4d and 40 odd 2d tickets. The kids used to fight to see who would get the long line of tickets. These were always purchased with plastic tokens.

• Like 1