Hiya Kath, re 39 route. It would have been about 1962, but only for a couple of months after I got my badge. First time out, after a week in school, I went out with an experienced conductor, he made me do upstairs and he did down. I was still in civvies at that time. Got me badge and uniform then went solo. Drifted between 39s and 40/47s till I went to Bilborough. If you went from Triumph Road you must have got on the bus at the Midland Hotel, at the end of Kennington Road, where I still lived until 1965. Nice to hear from you.x

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

BK, if I remember rightly I would get off the trolley outside the front of the Bonded Warehouses. I think the return journey bus stop was about opposite the morning one? Outside a row of shops. There was a bollarded 'island' middle of the road so we could at least get halfway across Ilkeston Rd to get the trolley.

That's the one Kath ! The Midland pub used to be my local. Where you got off, that stop was for 39 trolley and 56/60 motor bus to Bilborough. Where would you be going to when getting off there?

As a matter of interest, the bus stops were never opposite each other. They were always staggered so two buses going each way wouldn't obstruct the road.

Snap ! I worked in the office on Triumph Road next to the drawing office. That would be about 1960.

In answer Bamber, yes they did. No idea who emptied them though. When I were a conductor, if I were busy collecting fares and couldn't reach a customer about to alight, I would shout, " Stick it in the box mate"! No idea how much they put in though.

On 4/5/2021 at 12:42 PM, bamber said:

Going back to crewed buses. Did anyone ever put money in the honesty box?

Usually emptied by a conductor! Unofficially of course.

Yes TG. You're correct, they were red, to make them easier to spot by the rare honest traveller. It never occurred to me to try and open them. (Catfan must have known something I didn't. )

• Like 1
On 3/23/2021 at 6:20 PM, Mess said:

I certainly do remember the open platforms at the back of the bus. Without them I would have been late for work many times. I've jumped on a moving number 43 or 44 trolley bus many times on my way to school games in the early 60s not to mention the number 40 motor bus on my way to my first job in Wilford in 1967.  I also recall the space under the stairs for pushchairs and luggage and the conductor shouting “ holdee tight” as he pressed the bell push twice to signal to the driver to move off. Best of all was pushing the bell yourself because you were stuck behind standing passengers and wanted to get off. I used to love the sound of the conductor shaking his leather money pouch to find your change and when he gave you six penny tickets on a roll because his machine had run out of the single sixpenny ones. Happy days.

Mess i sure it was a 40 trolley bus and not a motor  bus that you would have gotten on to Wilford Bridge. then getting there if it cam back it woud go uo the Wells Rd and if the number changed to 47 it went only as far as Kilder Rd / CoppiceRd 

Mess' post says that he used the 40 motorbus to get to his first job to Wilford in 1967. In that case it would most certainly have been a motobus as the last trolleybuses ran on the 40s and 47s on Saturday 9th October 1965 (coincidentally the day that my wife was born)

A month after I  got married DDB.

My outing was in 1962. They were crappy trolleys on that route !

• Like 1

Yes Deepdene boy your right not sure of the date for the 40/47 trolly bus but  the very last trolly bus left  Queen St to Nottingham in 1966. By the time it had reached Valley Road 20 cars were following behind, At the Parliament Street Depot a chorus of "Auld Lang'sSyne " was struck up. 

sorry for wrong info on previous post.

19 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Mess' post says that he used the 40 motorbus to get to his first job to Wilford in 1967. In that case it would most certainly have been a motobus as the last trolleybuses ran on the 40s and 47s on Saturday 9th October 1965 (coincidentally the day that my wife was born)

In 1966 I used the 40,47 from St Ann's to the city & back to travel to school.

Leyland motor buses which a few years later Were used in the driving school. 24 ATO was the bus I passed my PSV test in 1974.

• Like 1

Saturday 9th October 1965  Forest played Westbrom at home Forest won score i think was  3-1 

Allso that day was when I married master at St Stevens 3 00 pm, 

Correction Mary! 9th October 1965 at the City Ground, those fabulous boys in red played West HAM! ....and scrapped to a 5 - 0 win! Addison, Hinton, Storey-Moore, Wignall and Wilson the scorers. The attendance was 19,262 and, for the moment, I can't recall all their names but I'll get back to you.

• Like 1

Earlier post mentioned Lamcote coaches. When I went to Bramcote Grammar our school bus was Clarkes of Epperstone where it would commence with stops at Calverton, Lambley, Arnold, Daybrook and last pick up at Mansfield Rd/Valley Rd junction. At that point a Lamcote coach would join the same boulevards/Derby Rd route to Bramcote. Our last pick up, a swotty lad named Peter, would excitedly advise whether or not the Lamcote had already passed. This would be an indication to our driver to put his foot down and beat the Lamcote to the Bramcote. Most of the drivers were up for it and there were many neck and neck finishes to the school gates with the kids standing up, egging the drivers on and, of course, the obligatory hand gestures whenever one coach overtook another! Exciting stuff! But it came to an end when Clarkes lost the contract and we were shipped to school on Roy's coaches...on an old, dirty, cold double decker bus that was frequently overtaken by cyclists! Oh! Them were days!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Arnold Mick said:

Addison, Hinton, Storey-Moore, Wignall and Wilson

Alan "Noddy" Hinton is having a book called Triumph and Tragedy, The Alan Hinton Story published some time this month.

I remember "Noddy" as having a powerful shot with either foot and unfortunately because of Ramsey's wingless wonders never got the recognition he deserved. Strangely enough his nickname at Derby was Gladys.