12 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Many thanks to members for replys.

Lived in the city 23 years then moved out to the sticks,

When in the city if a bus was pulling into your stop and you had to run to catch it the conductor would wait till you were 3 yards away then he would ring the bell. (sorry Big Ears) Often you would have to walt for the next one.

When moving to Hucknall befor the tram and Tesco your bus would be a red one  Trent/Barton , if you wanted to catch one and it was near the stop, the driver would stop the bus for you to get on, and if you came from Nottm and ask the driver to stop out side your house then he would drop you off.  After iving in the city I thought these buses and drivery's were great.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

14 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Alan "Noddy" Hinton is having a book called Triumph and Tragedy, The Alan Hinton Story published some time this month.

I remember "Noddy" as having a powerful shot with either foot and unfortunately because of Ramsey's wingless wonders never got the recognition he deserved. Strangely enough his nickname at Derby was Gladys.

He was good at Forest (after being signed from Wolves) but a certain Mr Clough got the best out of him at....can't bring myself to write it!....D..D....Derby

• Like 1

Gladys (where he was loved and won TWO 1st Division champions medals) has been living in Seattle for the past 40-odd years. He become a local media celebrity in the Pacific NW as the face and voice of the Seattle Sounders.

I will have been on that bus on many occasions; mainly on the Clifton routes, or even to Loughborough.

The photo is at the old South Notts garage at Gotham. It later came under the ownership of NCT and closed down for good only a few weeks ago.

https://www.nctx.co.uk/nottingham-city-transport-commemorates-closure-gotham-garage

Slightly amused that the bus, registration 76 LNN is parked at the side of a 105E Anglia. an uncle of mine on Melbourne Road had a 105E Anglia that was registered 600 LNN

• 4 weeks later...

West Bridgford UDC Bus at Trent Bridge - Fleet number 14 a 1937 AEC Regent 1 with a Park Royal body courtesy Dumfries Transport Group. LM&S Station on the destination blind, but the photo must be well after railway nationalisation. Late 1950s?

187725310_2160199204120998_7918726894592

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

At least that bus has the excuse of being built in 1937. WBUDC bought two Regents in 1947, just before railway nationalisation so they had the usual LMS Station on their blinds and were still showing that in the 1960s, 12 years after LMS ceased to exist. 

Most people remember West Bridgford vehicles for their large route numbers which were 19 inches high on the older vehicles but only 16 inches high on later buses.

I'd never noticed that about WBUDC buses having large route numbers........even though I saw them in action.

I remember WB buses because they were on the joint route to Clifton via Trent Bridge.  And all their other services seemed to terminate on South Parade outside MacFisheries.

• 3 months later...

I’ve just been thinking of my journeys back to Nottingham from Leicester in the early 1960s.  I travelled by bus / coach and think the terminus was at Broadmarsh., although I then thought maybe it was at Huntingdon Street.  All I remember is my head bumping against the bus window as I kept dozing off after being on duty the previous night at the hospital.

can someone sort out which Terminus it was please so I  can file that memory away properly..,TIA

On 9/12/2021 at 1:58 AM, MargieH said:

can someone sort out which Terminus it was please so I  can file that memory away properly..,TIA

It would have probably been a Barton's bus Service No 12 from Leicester Southgate to Nottingham Huntingdon Street.

• Like 1

I can’t remember going on any other routes, except perhaps once when I went to visit a boyfriend who was at uni at/near Grantham.  I can’t remember whether I went on the bus or the train… that was in 1960/61

The only further education college near Grantham back in those days would have been Stoke Rochford Hall, just off the A1 to the south of Grantham. It was a teacher training college which closed in 1978. The rather splendid building remains I think as a hotel. Was that the place? I remember passing over it on my many flying trips from Tollerton to Skegness.

All I can remember was seeing Kesteven - I know that’s an area but could it have been Kesteven college?  Now I think about it, it was a teacher training college

I remember it had a gravel drive and had mature trees in the grounds.  It looked quite an old building.

Anyway, enough of that …. We finished going out soon after that!!!

He finished off with a very low level beat up of the runway, did a very tight turn and came in to land. Very exhilarating!

I have done a couple of weeks on gliding holidays at Great Hucklow. We never managed to do any serious soaring and I never got to go solo even though I had a PPL. I did a lot of tractor driving for recoveries though and there were some good pubs in the area. A couple of my friends managed to get silver C’s but there’s a lot of hanging about involved at gliding clubs. I didn’t have to patience to take it up.

• 1 month later...

A letter in the current issue of Classic Bus refers to NCT's 1963 batch of Fleetlines  (64-94) which were registered 64 RTO to 94 RTO except for 73 which had a 1964 B suffix - ATO 73B. l have checked my 1965 edition of Ian Allan ABC British Bus Fleets and that's quite correct.  I haven't seen any reference to this before. Was the bus delivered late perhaps due to an accident and had to be registered in 1964? Had 73 RTO already been reserved by somebody?

My Ian Allan book lists the NCT depots as Parliament St, Trent Bridge, Sherwood, Bilborough and Bulwell but notes that Bulwell was to be replaced by a new depot at Western Boulevard. That never happened and it seems odd that NCT planned to replace Bulwell with a depot so close to Bilborough.  

1 hour ago, Newarker said:

A letter in the current issue of Classic Bus refers to NCT's 1963 batch of Fleetlines  (64-94) which were registered 64 RTO to 94 RTO except for 73 which had a 1964 B suffix - ATO 73B. l have checked my 1965 edition of Ian Allan ABC British Bus Fleets and that's quite correct.  I haven't seen any reference to this before. Was the bus delivered late perhaps due to an accident and had to be registered in 1964? Had 73 RTO already been reserved by somebody?

My Ian Allan book lists the NCT depots as Parliament St, Trent Bridge, Sherwood, Bilborough and Bulwell but notes that Bulwell was to be replaced by a new depot at Western Boulevard. That never happened and it seems odd that NCT planned to replace Bulwell with a depot so close to Bilborough.  

I drove all those bus numbers you mentioned. Also I remember the talk of a new depot near Basford Gas Works. Funny thing is nearby they built the tram depot later.

Another snippet of useless information is Bilborough Bus Depot was the only purpose built bus depot, all the other depots were originally tram sheds.