• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

10 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

So Bedford SB would have similar meaning?

The Bedford SB was a front-engined forward control bus chassis manufactured on a ladder frame chassis from 1951 to 1986. Quite a long model life across 8 iterations, powered by just under 5 litre petrol engines up to 6 litre diesel units. I would hazard a guess that all of us on here would have travelled on one of these at some time during our lifetimes.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Both the blue 'uns on that picture are actually Notts & Derby Traction. Splitting hairs a bit with the Bristol tho'.

I don't think I ever saw a Notts and Derby bus? I only remember the ones on those routes pictured being MGO.

No, I've never seen Notts and Derby Traction either but then I never looked. They were just referred to as blue buses as distinct from green 'uns.

• Like 1

All Midland General and N&DT buses were owned by Balfour Beatty until nationalised. The N&DT/MG distinction was essentially a bookkeeping exercise. Their tram routes and replacement trolleybuses had been specifically enabled by Act of Parliament, whilst pure bus routes didn't require this. The N&DT buses were (nominally at least) direct replacements for the tram and trolleybus routes only. I remember seeing N&DT motor buses in places like Hucknall on occasion, so the distinction was not always followed.

The trunk route from Ripley to Nottingham went from trams to trolleybuses, then to motor buses. Ilkeston tram services, which had been taken over from the town council, went straight to motor buses.

Mansfield District were also owned by Balfour Beatty but went straight from trams to motor buses. I think Balfour Beatty also owned at least one company in South Wales too.

• Like 2

Here it is shortly after restoration, I saw it many years ago at the Ashby Magna vintage rally but it looked rather sorry for itself and the then owners didn't really know much about it's history, I knew it from it's time picking up office staff to work at H J Baldwin Loughborough road Bunny (Bunny brickworks), I have some photo's of KNN 314 in it's new red and white livery and it does look good

313433030-1826911087649163-2838959812887

Rog

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

A nice photo on the cover of the latest Bus Archive mag available here

Bus Archive Newsletter No. 18 - September 2022 (Second Proof)

Nottingham trolleybus in the snow

Older editions of the mag are listed here, though not much about Nottingham they may be of interest...

Newsletter - The Bus Archive - the memory of the bus industry

• Like 1

A great picture N.A., pity it's spoiled by the City of Oxford sticker over it. Would have made a super card.   B.

4 hours ago, notty ash said:

A nice photo on the cover of the latest Bus Archive mag available here

Bus Archive Newsletter No. 18 - September 2022 (Second Proof)

Nottingham trolleybus in the snow

Older editions of the mag are listed here, though not much about Nottingham they may be of interest...

Newsletter - The Bus Archive - the memory of the bus industry

Some great headlines there, I like the Mile by Mile booklet, I have one for the LNER, I tried to follow it last year when I went to Edinburgh but impossible with todays speeds, some of the stations are still there but such a lot have gone by the wayside

Rog

Ask and ye shall receive

Getting us in the mood for Christmas (or at least some snowy weather) is this shot of Nottingham 516 (KTV 516) a BUT 9641T trolleybus with Brush bodywork new in March 1950. (Roy Marshall collection, ref. RM02/C20946).

As with all our posts, feel free to share widely but please credit us and please respect our copyright. And remember to 'like's 'follow'  The Bus Archive.

317284966_1156250771743666_3533581599473

• Like 5
On 11/30/2022 at 12:14 AM, Oztalgian said:

mary1947, The Midland General "blue" buses had them too. The AEC versions were called Lowbridge buses. It was related to the height and clearances under some of the railway bridges. The passageway down the drivers side of the upper deck was lower than the seats and it filled a teenage males heart with joy (and other things) when a buxom clippie leaned over you to get the fares from the passengers near the windows.

IIRC NCT had some buses with seats like this too. I think they may have been trolleys. Presumably there were some low bridge routes around the city.

Any bus enthusiasts able to confirm?

I'm pretty sure that in the late 60s, Makemson of Highbury Vale had a low decker that was used on the Bulwell market to Bestwood village. I used to drive part time for them and a couple of occasions I was asked to be a conductor on that run, (I'm sure it was on a sunday). I still had both conductor and driver badges at the time.

Happy days eh? Although probably didn't think so at the time.

• Like 1

Something I've just thought of...Didn't there used to be a low headroom bridge on Meadow lane. I seem to recall hearing while at Bilborough depot, of somebody wedging his bus underneath it.

The mk3s were 14ft 9in and we were told in driving school, you needed 15ft 3in clearance to pass under bridges.

It's funny what you remember after 55 years.

• Like 1

Mr B once wedged a lorry under the railway bridge by Brush in Loughborough. Oops

Also I remember that vehicles used to get stuck under the railway bridge on Melton Road Tollerton every so often. That must have been quite low.

That's interesting. Things must have changed between you doing your PSV and me doing mine. I did mine (I think) 1990 and my instructor had me going along Awsworth Lane, Cossall, running towards Coronation Road when he hollered at me "what did it say on that sign?" Me "what sign?" I wont go on 'cos there was loads of questions but suffice to say it was (and still is) a low bridge sign. He continued - "How high is this bus?" (ex Salford City Transport, Metro-Cammell bodied 1967 Leyland PD2) Easy I thought big sign above windscreen "14ft 6"" says I. "And what is the minimum clearance required?" says he. "Don't know" says I (hadn't read that part of the Bible yet). By this time we were just about to go under said bridge but I had realised that he wouldn't have sent me there if things hadn't been legal - however I still ducked as we went under. He then proceeded to lay down the law telling me that the minimum clearance was 3 inches. I had of course noticed that the bridge was (and still is) 14' 9". Still to this day I look at low bridge signs and still examine that 14' 9" sign on that bridge at the bottom of Cossall Marsh.

Here is said bus:

JRJ268E.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, MRS B said:

Also I remember that vehicles used to get stuck under the railway bridge on Melton Road Tollerton every so often. That must have been quite low.

Still do.