10 hours ago, MRS B said:

Also I remember that vehicles used to get stuck under the railway bridge on Melton Road Tollerton every so often. That must have been quite low.

I remember a Digger on the back of a low loader swinging around when it got near that bridge and causing all sorts of damage, the operator had not put the slew locks in and it allowed the machine to swing at will, that would be in the early 1970's

Rog

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

On a lot of the old "arched" bridges high vehicles are told/advised to drive in the middle of the road when going under them, the middle of the road giving the highest clearance

Rog

Re Arched bridges, as well as centre of road lanes there is usually a warning sign advising motorists, "Beware, oncoming traffic in centre of road". We've got quite a few down here, including on sharp bends.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Re Arched bridges, as well as centre of road lanes there is usually a warning sign advising motorists, "Beware, oncoming traffic in centre of road". We've got quite a few down here, including on sharp bends.

We would probably have those warning signs out here in Lincolnshire but I don't think half the hill billies can read and the other half wouldn't take any notice, (judging by the standard of driving in the county)

Rog

• Like 1

Cliff Ton, yeah that’s not so long ago so still happening there, that was a bit of a mess eh?  Also whatever happened to hump back bridges? There are 2 I can remember, one on Tollerton Lane near the airport and one on I think on Landmere Lane coming from Rudd. What fun they were for driving.

We've still got a few bridges like that MrsB. When you go over, you can see the gouge marks in the tarmac, where people have traversed too quickly and grounded their sumps or exhausts. Sometimes find bits of rear lights as well. Not that I've done it, you understand. X

Not under a bridge,  but many many years ago I crinkled the roof of my Land Rover Discovery by driving into a too low area of a multi-story car park, breaking the roof windows at the same time. Then I had to drive nearly 100 miles home on a wet February night.  It was a real bad-luck car actually, because a few months after having a new roof an old lady reversed at great speed into the near-side, while I was sitting in the driving seat, and wrecked the whole side of the car.  I soon got rid of it once it was fixed up again! 

Oops, not good Lizzie. Always good to get rid of “unlucky “ cars. Have had a few in my time, notably a Viva which was always a pain. Also had some really good ones too so swings and roundabouts. Fortunately have had a few peeps in my family who are mechanics which is always a bonus. 

10 hours ago, MRS B said:

Also whatever happened to hump back bridges? There are 2 I can remember, one on Tollerton Lane near the airport and one on I think on Landmere Lane coming from Rudd. What fun they were for driving.

I think the one you're referring to on Landmere Lane/Ruddington Lane  has been flattened to allow for the tram line;

https://goo.gl/maps/diH5uME8sM7HCsCw6

Aha. I didn’t even know that the tram went to Clifton till we got in the wrong Lane and ended up there after our meet up in December! 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Great pictures, are they at the Beamish museum or somewhere else, I'm looking at going up to Sandtoft trolley bus museum this year, they have a couple of Nottingham City Transport trolleys one of them in running condition, I live about five miles from the Lincolnshire roadcar museum but never been yet so maybe another one on my list of places to go.

I do like your pictures though, giving me some ideas for another code three conversion, I think the top picture is Sheffield city but not sure

Rog

Morning Rog., you're spot on with your observations. Yes, they are at Beamish. I was browsing through yesterday as I would dearly love to visit. Snag is though, it's 340 miles from us. One time of day I  could have driven there and back on the same day, (was a professional driver for a number of years) but time has þaken it's toll. Of course, we could always stay overnight somewhere but can't summon up the enthusiasm to do that. Been to Crich tramway, so make do with that.

Sandtoft and Lincs roadcar museums in Lincolnshire, and transport heritage museum Ruddington Notts could be a possible for you Barrie

Rog

• Like 1

Ruddington I believe, is where they have one of the buses I drove back in 1964. Vehicle number 161, AEC Regent mk3, pre-select.

Cheers Rog, well that saves me looking for it at Ruddington. That number on the destination I remember very well.

62 Strelley estate, a continuation of the number 30 Denton green, straight up Colby road. Done that route hundreds of times. There was one shift on a Saturday that was 10 62s without a break and it were a bloody killer.

There were some rough buggers up Broxtowe and Strelley. Amazing to think I've not been up there since 1967.

• Like 1