11 hours ago, Beekay said:

Another colour scheme for you Rog. Midland General...

Proper bus that.

When did they change the destination board to the one with minimal information instead of the ones with the destination, route number and way points.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Nottingham City Transport Single Decker

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

This reminds me of an incident many years when I was a driver. A bloke got on our bus on Aspley Lane and asked, "Are you going to town"? My conductor replied with a yes.

The bloke said, "Well you've still Strelley estate on the front"!

Quick as a flash my mate said, "If you look, we've got Birds Eye fish fingers on the side, but we don't sell 'em".

I nearly fell off the seat with laughter.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Those were the days when I was young living in a terrace house council said not fit for humans. We had buses every 3 mins into the city, which carried on down to Wilford bridge, We were spoilt. Sorry big ears but we had a few problems, 1/ With them there, buses being trolley buses they came off the wires quite often. Drat you had to wait 10mins for them there poles to be put back on. 

2/ Wet, cold, windy just finished work 40- 47 bus at the bus stop, ran like hell and the conductor waited till you were inches from the bus THEN!!! TING TING the 40 47 left you standing.  

Moving to Hucknall many many years later we had thoes Red Trent buse's The drivers had time to speak and natter to you, if you had a lot of shopping they would ask you where you wanted to be dropped off even when there was not a bus stop, they would just pull up. One Christmas time, arms full with parcels, it was a freezing cold day, waited on Parliament St for my little red bus.  The one which i wanted only ran evey hour, but the company did not know this,  2 hours later my little red bus pulled up at the stop. I was just froze to the spot it took me 3 days to recover.  This was a long time ago at least now they do tell you if a bus is not going to arrive.

• Like 1

Yes I remember them. B3 and C5 usually had that type due to them having the same start and end to their journeys but a different routes to get there. Both ran Nottingham to Brinsley by the same route but then one went to Alfreton direct whilst the other went scenic route via Westwood and Jacksdale. The clever people at Trent/Barton now have both routes with the same name plus the old B1 route from Nottingham to Ripley all with the same name - Rainbow 1.

• Like 1

Did the C5 and the B3 buses from Nuthall to Alfreton when i went to Alfreton High School did not matter which one it took about forty five minutes each way and it cost one shilling and thrupence return that was 1959- 1963.

Where  were you traveling to back in those days, i remember MGO issuing a sheet with all their registrations and bus numbers on it like train spotting i remember number 1 HRB 976 it was an old GUY not very fast but reliable.

We moved to Eastwood in 1959. We would have been travelling to Nottingham and back. I don't remember any Guys although I am aware that MGO had them. They were wartime products.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Here's another one for you

ĪYou know what Pianoman, I've worked on that one !!! Cheers.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Beekay said:

ĪYou know what Pianoman, I've worked on that one !!! Cheers.

That is the one that did the last service July 1966. Sandtoft or someone involved with Sandtoft also have 578. I believe there is also one of the 4 wheeled Karriers now complete and running.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

I don't remember any Guys although I am aware that MGO had them.

I can't remember ever seeing any Guy Arab's in MGO livery but according to the MGO weebly they did have some. This picture is from that site. This bus was acquired from Mansfield District Traction and is a lo-bridge type

My memories are more of MGO's AEC Regents.

Picture

• Like 2

My ABC British Bus Fleets 1960 lists 9 Guy Arabs from 1942-43 and 21 from 1944-45, all still with wartime utility bodies, plus 6 from 1945-46 rebodied by ECW in 1952. At that time MGO still had two AEC Regals from 1936 and five from 1938/39!  

• Like 1

This might be of interest to some of you, 

334875910-506216104855656-28718851404346

I'll try to get there after going to the Codnor model bus exhibition tomorrow, depending on the time

Rog

Not Nottingham, but tomorrow Sunday 2nd April, Lincolnshire road transport museum will be open and some vintage buses will be giving rides around the local area, both museum and bus rides are free but a donation wouldn't go amiss would it, 12 till 4,  Whisby road Hykeham LN6 3QT, reasonably prices refreshments also available

Rog

Brilliant morning at the Lincolnshire transport museum Hykeham, crowds of people there including a group of steam punk enthusiasts, some great vehicles on display as well as buses there were motor cars and vans, motor cycles and bicycles,free bus rides available but the queues were very long so gave those a miss, if I'd have known there was a lot of cycles on show I would have ridden one of my vintage bikes over instead of going in the car, never mind next time,

DSCF2059.jpg

DSCF2073.jpg

DSCF2078.jpg

DSCF2091.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...